N YORKS, TWENTIES PLENTY, SCOTLAND TOUR JUNE 2018

Geoffrey Carter (Buttercup)

Hi Geoffrey

I'll be joining for parts of your route around the "Heilan's", but not sure which yet. Depends on work and family commitments, but I'll know nearer the time. The great thing about my job is that I can usually take time off at  a moment's notice and make the most of the weather whenever I fancy a drive out somewhere. It's a particularly busy time at the moment though, but I should be ok to meet up with you at some point/s.

David

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Geoffrey (Buttercup) - North Yorkshire AO said:

Thanks for the update.

The past few years the roads on Skye have  been getting worse.

Outer Hebrides sounds brilliant. Can you post up some pictures.

I did get prices to take Buttercup to the Shetland Isles but so expensive.

Sorry, Internet access is sketchy. Struggling to post photos, managed a couple, apologies for quality.

Southern softie, beautiful beach SW end of South Uist. Nobody else about, bliss!

image.thumb.jpeg.c98f4efee567f1245b26982c1b252ad8.jpeg

Where we are currently, Balranald W coast of North Uist

image.thumb.jpeg.d0e5af4bb20d032b50b1d6f0b1aadda4.jpeg

Not a bad view from our pitch! Looking inland.

image.thumb.jpeg.0fbf49775dfb6aeafd5ce33e6245b69e.jpeg

CalMac ferries around Outer Hebrides seem reasonable, ~£58 Skye to N Uist, ~£38 N Uist to Harris, and ~£58 Harris back to Skye, didn't think that was bad for a 7.6m motorhome, 2 adults(?), 2 dogs.

Certainly a great experience, reminds, me a lot of Iceland. We've had brilliant sunshine, 40mph winds and rain! Now cloudy, with some sunshine, and some drizzle. No snow yet though. Always got waterproofs, and luckily we chucked some thermals in, it's certainly drafty all the time!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 2

Love the pictures. Thankyou so much for posting them.

Those fares look so good. 

It was working out at well over £300 for me to take Buttercup to the Shetland Isles with an evening meal and breakfast.

• Like 1

@David-hrvIt will be brilliant to see you all again. I will post up some more routes later tonight.

Need to get over for that French bread if we can.

Below is the route for our second day.

A nice steady drive on some fantastic roads with plenty of time for stops and a ride on the Skye Ferry.

The map wont register the ferry route but we will board the Ferry at Glenelg, ver to Kylerhea and then go Kyleakin before heading back over the Skye Bridge.

So hoping the ferry is working this time.

Screen Shot 2018-05-14 at 18.37.54.png

• Like 1

Here is our route up to Durness.

These are stunning roads and once again loads of time to just chill and explore along the way.

We have a stop to view the bone caves and if time allows a walk to Sandwood Bay.

The beach is stunning and last time I went we had three golden eagles for company.

http://www.discoverassynt.co.uk/viewdetails.php?id=54

https://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/kinlochbervie/sandwoodbay/index.html

fullsizeoutput_b06.jpeg

• Like 1

Whilst around Durness, which is at the top left hand corner of Scotland, we will drive on a number of the roads on this map.

There are so many coves and roads that just lead to a bay to explore and its sooooooo relaxing up here.

No trees, bushes, people or cars for miles upon miles. Just big sky.

Ship wrecks, caves, Maine House, MOD derelict buildings, Cape Wrath, Whales, Seal colonies.

You would first think there was nothing to do but there is so, so much if you get out and look.

[ I do promise to miss out a certain road this year.]

Screen Shot 2018-05-14 at 19.57.42.png

• Like 1

Next its over to the Orkney Islands. These islands just pull you in and do not want to let you go. The Italian Chapel, Skara Brae, Ring of Brodgar, Scapa Flow, Churchill Barriers, Ness Battery, Old Man of Hoy.....The list goes on and on and on.

Screen Shot 2018-05-14 at 20.06.44.png

• Like 1

1 WEEK TO GO TO HOLLIBOBS:d

so for those who wished they could come this picture sums the whole thing up , lol 

92C5494F-36FD-467A-97AA-4C37EC2C08A1.jpeg

• Like 1

That is so true Gary!

It does sum up, perfectly, the reasons we moved up here 15 years ago. There is nowhere else on this planet (or any other) we would rather live,  than the Highlands of Scotland.

• Like 2

Spotted in Elphin, Assynt last week....

20180515_100314.thumb.jpg.0ecf1007a21b1ea60ac32fe662c0d825.jpg

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Dave (OnliestSmeg) - Manchester AO said:

imageproxy.php?img=&key=b5cbfa078d886632imageproxy.php?img=&key=b5cbfa078d886632imageproxy.php?img=&key=b5cbfa078d886632imageproxy.php?img=&key=b5cbfa078d886632Spotted in Elphin, Assynt last week....

20180515_100314.thumb.jpg.0ecf1007a21b1ea60ac32fe662c0d825.jpg

I got the idea of the title by the same sign near Fortingall. Plus we drive soooooo slow.

You'll need to speed up to do 20mph, Geoffrey! :d 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Haha. Funny you should say that. I have been asked a couple of times why I even have a Westfield.

Don't worry, mine's limited to 30. Follow me kid, and you'll be ok!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1