Westfield's in the wet

Chris cooper

As above, just enjoy the car and treat it with respect until you know it well.

IMO it's easier to let water out than stop it getting in, so the holes tip from Russ is a good one :t-up:

16 hours ago, Chris King - Webmaster and Joint North East AO said:

Yes my seats now have holes drilled in them too and the soggy bottom is much slower to appear. :d

Old age catching up with you?:getmecoat:

• Haha 2

On 11/09/2017 at 23:22, Rory's Dad said:

I would also check your brakes and tyres. Both may have to work well when they are cold and wet. My advice would be to stay away from R888s and get some TR1s @ £50 a corner and get some Mintex 1144 pads on your front discs. Both work well in the cold and wet although the 1144s squeal a bit!

I have toyo r1r on at the moment with green stuff pads what are they like in the wet 

R1R's are a pretty good wet weather tyres from my experience (see earlier post ref "biblical" rain) - they certainly clear water and do as well as can be expected on such a light car when it comes to aquaplaning on 3"-5" of standing water on German Autobahns at +70mph. Also pretty good around wet twisty roads.

Can't say what they are like on a wet track, but no doubt will find out in the next month or two!

No experience of those pads but very happy with Mintex 1144's

Brake pads aren't really affected by the rain - no pads work on a wet rotor, and the rotor will dry quickly when the brake is applied.

T1Rs are fine in the wet, clear water well.

Mine used to be a daily driver in all weather conditions.

If you're fairly sensitive with the throttle and drive sensibly you'll be fine. Though I'm comfortable driving sideways, I found understeer is your worst enemy! Oh, and they're hopeless in snow!

18 hours ago, RussH said:

I disagree with most of the above, except Chris!

I drive mine in all weathers, with the exception of salty roads. Even on track orientated tyres, it hasn't killed me to death yet. 

Scuttle led also not sealed to aid quick release - have had no water related problems with electrics. 

A drain hole in the GRP seat and a couple the foot wells are a good idea though. 

Its a car, it won't melt, enjoy it I say!

Just watched your video that is a very wet track day I can't believe you didn't spin well done 

4 hours ago, Chris cooper said:

I have toyo r1r on at the moment with green stuff pads what are they like in the wet 

I've found my R1Rs deal with everything very well, from cold heavy wetness to hot dry hard track work.

Do a relatively high mileage and don't mind getting caught out in anything except snow!

Ed: If you can call around 4k high mileage that is!

it hasn't killed me to death yet.

PMSL at that one @RussH is there any other way to be killed?

I disagree with most of the above, except Chris!

I drive mine in all weathers, with the exception of salty roads. Even on track orientated tyres, it hasn't killed me to death yet. 

Scuttle led also not sealed to aid quick release - have had no water related problems with electrics. 

A drain hole in the GRP seat and a couple the foot wells are a good idea though. 

Its a car, it won't melt, enjoy it I say!

that looked like great fun Russ - you couldnt help but have a little play at the hairpin could you :laugh:

Reminds me of the wettest track day I ever did which was the WSCC day at Cottesmore - I think it was wetter than what you experienced but we had the airfield surface which has so much grip even when wet compared to a track - although the standing water had cars aquaplaning all over the shop

Not so much now but I have driven my westy over to Wales on numerous occasions with no wet weather gear (just areo screen) and it has rained every time  - I just accept I am going to get wet but always take my all in one waterproof suit which works a treat

My motor has never had any issues in the rain due to wet electrics

3 hours ago, Dave (OnliestSmeg) - Joint Manchester AO said:

I've found my R1Rs deal with everything very well, from cold heavy wetness to hot dry hard track work.

Do a relatively high mileage and don't mind getting caught out in anything except snow!

Ed: If you can call around 4k high mileage that is!

R1r's I found to be much better in the wet than T1r's.  I never got on with the t1r's, I always felt in the wet like I was driving on the edge and about to fall off at any moment.