Westfield's in the wet

Chris cooper

Hi this will be my first winter with a westfield. What are they like in the wet do I have to worrie about water getting into the electrics or do I need to do anything to the car after a wet day out.

Er, wet, possibly and yes! :d

With a bit more detail: in the wet, you will get wet, how much very much depends on the type of Westfield and how it's been put together, but even the best fitting hoods etc aren't entirely water tight, so you will get odd wet patches in really, really bad weather.

Essentialy there are two extremes of wet weather adaption, most of us fall somewhere between. 

1. Full weather gear with some re-finishing/modification for improved fit and sealing. Lots of attention to detail at the build stage with the sealant, keeping the cockpit as water tight as possible, ditto making sure electrics and electronics are installed with a view to wet weather performance and using contact grease like Contralube in ALL electrical joins etc to keep out moisture.

2. Remove windscreen and all soft trim, use plastic shell seats with neoprene pads, use IP rated switch gear on dash, and IP rated instrument(s). Drill strategic holes in floor and seats for water to escape. Same process as above of protecting the electrics. Locate electronics in dry spots or consider IP rated enclosures if necessary, (unlikely, but it's an option). - Essentially, build the car so that it can get drowned in rain without being harmed!

With option 2. In bad rain, use all in one rain over suit, motorbike style, along with full face helmet.

Which ever approach, once back home after a drowning, try and get the car as dry as you can. Consider using protective sprays like ACF50 on the suspension parts etc over winter, this is much better than WD40 and is designed for winterising motorbikes etc.

If using weather gear, periodically treat it with something like Renovos vinyl roof water repealing treatment at regular intervals.

You can also get similar products for the carpets and interior trim, that will prevent water soaking in. (I've used some of GTechniqs smart fabric treatment before now, it's very effective.

Thanks for the advice I have all the wet weather gear but don't plan on going out in the rain just may get caught out with this lovely British weather

Rain doesnt hit the windscreen all the time. Sometimes you find you are stuck behind Doris in her Micra doing 20 mph and you get very very wet.............:d

• Haha 1

You will get wet, so will the car no matter how well put together or protected it is.

ACF50 as Dave says is a lifesaver. Try and get one of those leaf blower things, this is great for removing water from all the nooks and crannies after a toweling down. Consider that some of the electrics are fairly open to the elements too.

Above all - in the wet, the car can be a handful! Please take all precautions and have fun. A wet car can be easily dried; a broken car or worse a broken driver perhaps not so easily put right.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Thrustyjust said:

Rain doesnt hit the windscreen all the time. Sometimes you find you are stuck behind Doris in her Micra doing 20 mph and you get very very wet.............:d

:d This is true...

I would also check your brakes and tyres. Both may have to work well when they are cold and wet. My advice would be to stay away from R888s and get some TR1s @ £50 a corner and get some Mintex 1144 pads on your front discs. Both work well in the cold and wet although the 1144s squeal a bit!

• Like 1

Personally I don't go out if I think I will get caught in the rain, but sometimes you cannot help it.

As above comments, but windscreen wipers aren't the most efficient, especially on the older models like mine, so Rain x is very good too for the windscreen - both inside and out lol...seriously put it on the inside as well....

Mart.

• Like 1

On 10/09/2017 at 19:36, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

Er, wet, possibly and yes! :d

With a bit more detail: in the wet, you will get wet, how much very much depends on the type of Westfield and how it's been put together, but even the best fitting hoods etc aren't entirely water tight, so you will get odd wet patches in really, really bad weather.

Essentialy there are two extremes of wet weather adaption, most of us fall somewhere between. 

1. Full weather gear with some re-finishing/modification for improved fit and sealing. Lots of attention to detail at the build stage with the sealant, keeping the cockpit as water tight as possible, ditto making sure electrics and electronics are installed with a view to wet weather performance and using contact grease like Contralube in ALL electrical joins etc to keep out moisture.

2. Remove windscreen and all soft trim, use plastic shell seats with neoprene pads, use IP rated switch gear on dash, and IP rated instrument(s). Drill strategic holes in floor and seats for water to escape. Same process as above of protecting the electrics. Locate electronics in dry spots or consider IP rated enclosures if necessary, (unlikely, but it's an option). - Essentially, build the car so that it can get drowned in rain without being harmed!

With option 2. In bad rain, use all in one rain over suit, motorbike style, along with full face helmet.

Option 2 works for me.

Although my switchgear is not IP rated - and my scuttle is not sealed to allow easy removal - the electrics have been trouble free even during truly biblical rain on German Autobahns. 

You still get wet though. 

IMG_0342.jpg

19 hours ago, Andy Banks - Chairman said:

Try and get one of those leaf blower things, this is great for removing water from all the nooks and crannies after a toweling down.

Hmmmm might work on the wife too...:o

• Haha 2

I disagree with most of the above, except Chris!

I drive mine in all weathers, with the exception of salty roads. Even on track orientated tyres, it hasn't killed me to death yet. 

Scuttle led also not sealed to aid quick release - have had no water related problems with electrics. 

A drain hole in the GRP seat and a couple the foot wells are a good idea though. 

Its a car, it won't melt, enjoy it I say!

• Like 3