iplayer message on Samsung smart TV

Terry Everall

Tonight I went onto iplayer and got a message saying that "from 17th October I will no longer be able to access iplayer on this TV"

Its a Samsung Smart TV

Anyone know what is happening?

Samsung have control on which apps appear on your screen so best to ask them.    Does seem strange they want to remove the worlds best TV player, I would be most annoyed.

Just checked my Samsung TVs, Terry - the newest one has already updated itself to the new iPlayer Beta version, the old one wouldn't open the 'expired app', but auto-updated to the newer iPlayer app once I logged into my Samsung account on the TV. No expiry warnings now. Have you tried a system update and created a Samsung account?

Why do I need a samsung account please?

so they can store all your private information for future reference :)

Actually, you might not need one to get the TV to update hopefully...

can I do an internet software update rather than one off  the samsung dealers USB stick?

49 minutes ago, terry everall said:

can I do an internet software update rather than one off  the samsung dealers USB stick?

mine has, I'm sure

So they know who all the secret recordings from the built in microphone and camera are about!

1 hour ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

So they no who all the secret recordings from the built in microphone and camera are about!

Not Samsung but a few years ago LG got caught when a user found out his TV was sending data back to LG's servers. The data included file names of videos played from digital attached media on the TV. Very bad form...

https://www.wired.com/2017/02/smart-tv-spying-vizio-settlement/

If it were me (and it is) I wouldn't use any of the apps on a Smart TV Instead get an Apple TV, a Chromecast, Plex or Kodi or even an Amazon Firestick. And I have a feeling if you have a new-ish Sony Blu-Ray player it will likely work as a media streamer and will have apps too. I use a PS3 as a media streamer and it has iPlayer and from what I have seen the Sony Blu-Ray players use the same operating system (more or less) as a Playstation. And of course iPlayer along with most of the UK TV "catch up" features are available on the Sky platform.

And of course if it really REALLY bugs you that your TV tracks you, find out where the info is going. It may be possible to block the outflow of info using your internet router's firewall services. This is for the nerdier users out there. I suspect el Tel would need a little help with this bit. Sorry Tel :oops: 

I just want to continue to use the Iplayer on my smart TV!...simples!

Then do the update as suggested earlier. 

My personal opinion (actually it's my professional opinion as well, come to think of it) is to use something other than the TV apps for watching streamed content. I think that is a better long term solution.

Went to the local shop that sold me the TV, Humax and DVD stuff

They confirmed that some "older" Samsung TVs will not be able to run the latest BBC iplayer as it needs more "power"

They suggested Amazon Firestick at about £40, Google Chrome cast or more expensive Apple TV 

Any more advice please?

If you're already an Amazon Prime member as I was, then the no-brainer is the Firestick (£40 as you say) or the more powerful Fire TV (£80).

Does the Amazon Firestick connect to router via Cable to TV ( thats what I have now) or does it rely on the WIFI/

Also I am not sure I have an Amazon account