hu7ch

XTR2 diff alignment

hu7ch

Hi Guys 

So the XTR is now Taxed & MOT'd, I have a couple of little teething problems but noting too bad,  the only one I'm unsure of is the alignment of the rear diff/sprocket.

It all looks to be inline but as you turn the wheels the chain gets tighter and then loosens off, like its egg shaped, is this something anyone's come across. 

I've just read that maybe I should of loosened the grub screws in the bearing carrier, although I'm not sure how this would make a difference. 

Any help would be appreciated 

Chris

XTR2Turbo

The rear sprockets are not always cut in half and machined accurately.  You need to adjust chain tension to reflect tightest spot.

Also if you have the standard adjusters get them changed for something stronger.

David

CraigHew

Going back to my Ducati days, the sprockets tended to be OK with any wear affecting the profile of the teeth and not the roundness of the sprocket. Tighness in the chain always meant one thing, part of the chain had stretched and if you happened to adjust the free play at the loosest point then tight spots occur.

Dont know how old your final drive chain is but I'd treat it as a comsumable and swap it out for the best quality one you can afford..

hu7ch

Thanks for the replies 

so I did finally figure it out and in was in fact the chain had stretched. 

@XTR2Turbo I believe they are the original adjusters, where could I get uprated ones from. Do you have any pictures of them 

thanks

XTR2Turbo

I made myself. Will post some pictures next week when back home and in front of the pc