New Westfield owner saying hi

KrisC2

8 hours ago, Chris King - Webmaster and Joint North East AO said:

Did it still have the r888 tyres on when you bought it? I know Steve was after some more wet weather friendly boots recently.

Will be interesting to get your comparison between the Atom especially if you get out on track. 

I know the ecoboost has a stupid amount of torque which is no doubt a big contributor to the wheel spin.

No R888's, Steve put road/wets on. The car has less bhp but around equal torque to the Atom which has never spun a wheel in dry whether in all the time I've had it. This could be partly due to being rear engine i.e. weight over the wheels but I strongly suspect tyres.

My last 5 cars have all had a trip around Spa so would be rude not to include this one :rolleyes:

Welcome from Cheshire!

As Ron said, hopefully see you out and about in the Peaks sometime.

• Like 1

welcome :sun:

Welcome. You may wish to edit your thread title to New Owner Of Steve's Fabulous Sport 250! There's not many about yet :laugh:

I recall Atom's having rose joints on all wishbones too and these needed frequent attention !

The current tyres are r1r's. I have to say I was pretty unimpressed with the dry grip with them to be honest. In my last car they were fantastic but they really struggled with the torque in this car. As Chris says they spin up in 3rd without too much provocation. 

The r888r were much better for pure dry grip but you did have to get some temp in them. 

On the flip side the r1r were much better in the wet where the r888r were poor. Living up here I needed the compromise or the car would never leave the garage!

Maybe down there in the balmy south you can get away with a pure dry tyre to get the best grip. And maybe some wider rear rubber would help too?

Thanks again all for the welcome, hope to get out on some runs and meet up.

4 hours ago, sdh2903 said:

The current tyres are r1r's. I have to say I was pretty unimpressed with the dry grip with them to be honest. In my last car they were fantastic but they really struggled with the torque in this car. As Chris says they spin up in 3rd without too much provocation. 

The r888r were much better for pure dry grip but you did have to get some temp in them. 

On the flip side the r1r were much better in the wet where the r888r were poor. Living up here I needed the compromise or the car would never leave the garage!

Maybe down there in the balmy south you can get away with a pure dry tyre to get the best grip. And maybe some wider rear rubber would help too?

Hi Steve, genuinely pleased and impressed with the car. I'm amazed at how much torque it has, leave it in 5th gear at 50mph then floor it and it just kicks hard and goes! As you say, nothing wrong with the r1r's they do what they need to do in most whether conditions but with the shear grunt of the Sport 250 a stickier second set will be on the cards for dry play days.

• Like 1

On 28/08/2017 at 19:55, KrisC2 said:

No R888's, Steve put road/wets on. The car has less bhp but around equal torque to the Atom which has never spun a wheel in dry whether in all the time I've had it. This could be partly due to being rear engine i.e. weight over the wheels but I strongly suspect tyres.

My last 5 cars have all had a trip around Spa so would be rude not to include this one :rolleyes:

Hmmmm Spa sounds like a good idea :yes:

21 hours ago, Scotty72 said:

Hmmmm Spa sounds like a good idea :yes:

Sounds like a great idea :d