3rd Sept Ashbourne to Tatenhill Airfield to check out a self build Plane!

AndrewBClarke

1 hour ago, Labrat said:

Typical, having turned this down my flying lesson has been moved to Saturday morning! Can I go on the reserve list please?

Luke.

Of course. Sorry about that. I will have a chat with 'big bro' next weekend about you contacting him to discuss plans. :)

Hello - Plans are to leave M&S Ashbourne (DE6 1DG) at 10.30am so if you want to feed and wee please get there earlier. Travel in convoy to Tatenhill Airfield (DE13 9PD). Photos and deep searching questions about the process of self building a plane and the mechanics etc are welcome. Official pilots forecast is reasonable so flying is a real possibility. Glen, Julie, Martyn and Sue are booked in for a flight and Big Bro is aware that others might also like a trip. BBQ is organised at the Airfield Club House. No drop outs at the moment so the list is :

Julie and Glen, Martyn and Sue, Dave Eastwood and ..., Andy and Becky plus Clare and me.

If any of you can't make it, please drop a note to the reserves listed on this page.

Look forward to seeing you and pray for good weather!

Andrew

• Like 1

On 18/08/2017 at 11:48, AndrewBClarke said:

Typical that I buy a kit car and my brother has to do something bigger so buys a kit aeroplane

I want one!!!! OH says not...

With the arrival of a weather front from the west, we are going to have to be flexible with plans. Currently the intention is to introduce you to Michael and the plane, have a chat about the building process and pilots license, then have the informal BBQ and in the afternoon take short flights. This may need to be changed to flights first then chat depending on the weather. The plane is in a hanger so the chat etc can be in the dry.

Michael is not looking for any payment for the flights or his BBQ but they are always trying to raise funds for the Air Ambulance so there will be a bucket for donations. I guess if we want to go again sometime, the more donations the better!

Hi Andy, looking forward to Sunday but just a quick one! The other half is veggie:down:  so can we bring something else to chuck on the barbie , I on the other hand will eat anything:) cheers Andy

1 hour ago, aeg said:

Hi Andy, looking forward to Sunday but just a quick one! The other half is veggie:down:  so can we bring something else to chuck on the barbie , I on the other hand will eat anything:) cheers Andy

No problem. Please bring veggie stuff. Michael asked if anybody was and I assumed not!

6 hours ago, AndrewBClarke said:

With the arrival of a weather front from the west, we are going to have to be flexible with plans. Currently the intention is to introduce you to Michael and the plane, have a chat about the building process and pilots license, then have the informal BBQ and in the afternoon take short flights. This may need to be changed to flights first then chat depending on the weather. The plane is in a hanger so the chat etc can be in the dry.

Michael is not looking for any payment for the flights or his BBQ but they are always trying to raise funds for the Air Ambulance so there will be a bucket for donations. I guess if we want to go again sometime, the more donations the better!

Which Air Ambulance Andrew?

Presume the one based at Tatenhill which is Midlands Air Ambulance. Michaels wife, Marie, is a nurse based in Derby. 

• Like 1

I went along to Ashbourne as I needed to test some recent mods to my car., I planned then to drive with the convoy to the airfield and then head for home.

On arrival at 11:00am only @Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary

IMG_6973.thumb.JPG.bfbcfe5d1fac107e577b808c0ed97212.JPG 

was there. We eventually realised that the start time had come forward so I thought I'll follow Dave to the Airfield, say hello to my fellow Westie drivers and then clear off.

On arrival at the airfield, we coudn't find any Westies and the control room hadn't seen any today, though they may have seen one yesterday!

IMG_6978.thumb.JPG.c47cac7f6295f7834671f1b8adb6d351.JPG

We parked opposite the Air Ambulance

IMG_6975.thumb.JPG.8f95a235ef9a3b4e545f393dc9ab533f.JPGIMG_6976.thumb.JPG.375bcf445fee2a8486e7d64c33fcd86f.JPG

and both failed to reach @Julie Hall - AO Representative, Peak District AO by phone (We're later to find out it's because she was airborne).

Eventually we were kindly advised of a final location on the airfield where they may be! Off we set again to be intercepted by @AndrewBClarke wife, Clare. Clare sent us to the correct location and we parked in the hanger with the cars of those who arrived at the correct time!IMG_6980.thumb.JPG.cf5db98b40797c79e26cc4ee9d51752b.JPGIMG_6981.thumb.JPG.7d5ccd7485a8be6e2979113b12d7198f.JPG

No sooner had we got out of cars and we were then chauffeured back to the flying club and despite my protests, we were forced to eat excellent Cheese Burgers!

Martin and Sue managed their flight, shown on the Flight Radar Screen Shot below.

IMG_6986.PNG

I'll leave Julie to write up her flight once she's got over the excitement!

Many thanks to @AndrewBClarke and family for an excellent day out. (It was great to meet your mum too, Andrew)

• Like 1

I can only echo Ian's comments, @AndrewBClarke Thank you and your family for organising this, fantastic circuit round in slightly grey and damp weather, nice smooth flight, though you could feel the plane yawing around in the wind.