Looking for a transplant

Ron86

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum so please be gentle. I'll cut a very long story short to spare you all...

I bought a part built GBS Zero last year which was supposedly almost finished. As you'd expect (and as I'd now expect) the car was not nearly complete and the work that had been done was poor at best. Although I've almost finished the car now, I'm not happy with what I've ended up with and am looking start again. I'd like to invest in a new chassis and body as the old one has been treated pretty badly during by the previous builder (their favourite tools appear to have been the angle grinder and a hammer). The car has the following parts (all new expect the donor parts) which I want to try and use for the new project:

• 2.0 Blaktop Zetec (new crate engine) running a GBS plenum Raceline sump, alternator kit, GBS cooling rail kit...
  • Emerald K5 ECU
  • Sierra Running Gear (could do with a refurb)
  • Leather Seats and 4 point harnesses
  • Wheels/tyres (ford stud pattern)
  • GAZ adjustable shocks
  • GBS factory wiring loom
  • Lights etc
  • GBS fuel tank
  • Smiths flight gauges
  • IVA bonnet catches (unused)
  • Radiator

So I was initially just going to buy a new Zero chassis in GT trim as I find this one a little tight due to the cross brace that sits above the right knee. Then I fell in love with the MK Indy. Seems to be a better design, well thought out and more roomy. I also like the full GRP bodywork for ease of assembly. The reason I haven't looked at Westfield was because I assumed they would be too expensive (as Caterham). However, at present, the starter kits for the Zero and MK (for what I need) will cost me around £3.5k or £5.5k respectively...then I saw the Westfield starter kits can be had for around the same money. 

Now, I'm no fool. I know it will still cost a fair bit more even with the parts I have but I must have nearly everything now surely - especially seeing as the zero is nearly finished.

My question is, can I use most of the gear I have on a Westfield Multi-donor vehicle starter kit and why should I do so over buying another Zero or an Indy?

If Westfield still sell the Sierra donor kit then you can use a lot of the parts you have. 

I started with an MK Indy project and swapped to a Westfield using the same logic you are talking about. 

However - with hindsight, I would now go for the multi donor as opposed to Sierra donor. As you said the bits could do with a refurb, then you are much better off getting the Westfield uprights and hubs etc in the first place.

I ended up replacing the Sierra donor parts over time anyway!

Another option is to buy a cheap pinto'd westfield  - zetec it and spend £5000 on upgrades...?

Interesting thought about buying a used car but I do quite fancy building it. Whilst the zero i have has been a bit of a nightmare, I've enjoyed it and definitely haven't been put off.

The most frustrating thing about this question is always getting an objective comparison between manufacturers. I do think the Zero is a good car if built right, as I;m sure is the Indy. How do I know I'm not just paying for the badge? Has there ever been any kind of shootout review by anyone?

Also, I'm assuming the FW is the wide body version? Not sure if need that or not. I'm 6'2" and length and width of the zero seems OK...its just that bl**** brace! Will have to go to Westfield and have a sit in a few.

Based on no actual facts, a visit to the GBS factory was interesting - they do pretty much everything in house, but the cars looks very heavy to my eye... (well as heavy as a 7alike can be)

Best thing is to get along to a local WSCC meet and have a good look at some cars. You should get a good idea of how well they can be put together. 

FW is principally just a bodywork style, featuring the one piece hinged bonnet and nose, and the modern, curby/snoopy style rear to the tub, with integrated boot lid. However, the FW bodywork was released pretty much at the same time as Westfield stopped selling the original standard width/length cars (which are known, confusingly as narrow body) and just concentrated on selling the wide body cars. 

So as a consequence all FW are wide bodies.

The two body styles are ZK - the more traditional styled version of Westfields bodywork and FW, the modern version.

Strictly speaking the models are

SE - standard width (narrow). Live axle - no longer made

SEi - standard width (narrow). Independant rear - no longer made

SEW - wide body. Live axle - no longer made

SEiW - wide body. Independant rear

FW SEiW - as above, but with FW bodywork. However, a lot of people do seem to drop the whole SEiW now, and just call them FW's

Its important to note though, that FW is just a bodywork style, and bodywork can be retrofitted. So although it was only launched after wide live axle cars were discontinued, it's perfectly possible to re-body an earlier car with FW grp. That's why it's important not just to rely on FW as a description.

Westfield have only made the wide body variant chassis, for sale with new cars/kits, for over ten years now, so although you won't always hear the word wide used, it's just because it's become standard, and that's all they make.

This is really useful thanks...shame the Westfield site doesn't set that out, it would certainly help newbies!

Had a good call with a chap at Westfield yesterday to see what parts he thought I could salvage. Seems like Sierra donor has fallen out of fashion so struggling to avoid buying the Westfield uprights brakes etc. I'm wondering if you can mix Mazda and Ford on the MDV? This would mean my wheels would be wrong I guess but is this possible otherwise?

Just looked back at the starter kit brochure and notice the MDV is labelled as SEi with no obvious optional upgrade to SEiW. Any idea whether its just wide body as standard or if they just haven't listed the no doubt extortionate uplift cost for wide body?

12 hours ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

FW is principally just a bodywork style, featuring the one piece hinged bonnet and nose, and the modern, curby/snoopy style rear to the tub, with integrated boot lid. However, the FW bodywork was released pretty much at the same time as Westfield stopped selling the original standard width/length cars (which are known, confusingly as narrow body) and just concentrated on selling the wide body cars. 

So as a consequence all FW are wide bodies.

The two body styles are ZK - the more traditional styled version of Westfields bodywork and FW, the modern version.

Strictly speaking the models are

SE - standard width (narrow). Live axle - no longer made

SEi - standard width (narrow). Independant rear - no longer made

SEW - wide body. Live axle - no longer made

SEiW - wide body. Independant rear

FW SEiW - as above, but with FW bodywork. However, a lot of people do seem to drop the whole SEiW now, and just call them FW's

Its important to note though, that FW is just a bodywork style, and bodywork can be retrofitted. So although it was only launched after wide live axle cars were discontinued, it's perfectly possible to re-body an earlier car with FW grp. That's why it's important not just to rely on FW as a description.

Westfield have only made the wide body variant chassis, for sale with new cars/kits, for over ten years now, so although you won't always hear the word wide used, it's just because it's become standard, and that's all they make.

The W is steadily being dropped when talking about modern kits. As said in the previous post, they're all wide body now, Westfield haven't manufactured a narrow body kit since the early to mid 2000's. 

All SDV kits, whether Mazda or Sierra are wide. As they only make wide now it's become the new standard, if you see what I mean.

6 hours ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

The W is steadily being dropped when talking about modern kits. As said in the previous post, they're all wide body now, Westfield haven't manufactured a narrow body kit since the early to mid 2000's. 

All SDV kits, whether Mazda or Sierra are wide. As they only make wide now it's become the new standard, if you see what I mean.

Yea that makes sense. Shame they don't do a SDV sierra version anymore as it's going to cost me a fair bit extra to move away from running gear I already have.

Have the factory confirmed the Sierra SDV has been discontinued?

2 hours ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

Have the factory confirmed the Sierra SDV has been discontinued?

Yes. Just MDV if you want to use some of the sierra running gear.

Shame, though I suppose once the MX5 version came out, it was always going to suffer, and given the increasing rareity/cost of some Sierra donor parts, I gues it makes sense.