Emergency Towing

CraigHew

If say you broke down quite far off the beaten track, with no phone coverage, is there a safe place to attach a tow strap to a Westfield?

When the AA needed to get me home when cambelt snapped I removed the nosecone and had a choice of tow points. 

I've seen people use the roll bar on track days too!

• Thanks 1

If you only have a roll bar (ie not a full cage) don't use it as a tow point. A friend of mine used to work for a track day company and saw a couple of Sevens being pulled over whilst towed from the roll bar.

As Chris says, whip the nosecone off and use one of the chassis members. Or fit a tow-strap :)

• Thanks 1

Don't the later chassis have a small loop welded in to the lower front side chassis leg?  Mine did

5 minutes ago, XTR2Turbo said:

Don't the later chassis have a small loop welded in to the lower front side chassis leg?  Mine did

Can't say I've seen that on my S2000 chassis.

No problem taking nosecone off quickly.  Would the lower nosecone bolt and bracket be strong enough to locate a fabric tow strap if needed?

If you google Mark Wendon posts there is a 'how to fit' a front towing point.

• Like 1

I'm an AA patrol and I've allways used a centre pull round both front arms to winch up on our compact recovery trailer, but if I had to use a rope I would remove the nose cone....hope that helps.... 

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Wolfdog said:

I'm an AA patrol and I've allways used a centre pull round both front arms to winch up on our compact recovery trailer, but if I had to use a rope I would remove the nose cone....hope that helps.... 

Do Westfields break down? .. surely not.. :d

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, XTR2Turbo said:

I thought that was just the Sport Turbo chassis?

Mine was an Aerorace chassis but I saw it on another chassis at an open day so thought maybe standard now.  

Ah, now you mention it, I've heard someone else say the Aerorace chassis had it too. I've seen ST3 chassis with it at the factory, but not standard chassis, or Sport 250/S2000 chassis, though it would make sense to add it, I'd have thought.

Still think Clark's is the most impressive I've seen!

18 minutes ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

Still think Clark's is the most impressive I've seen!

yes the decline in steel prices started once he'd finished :laugh:

• Haha 1

My 1999 SEiW has a tow hook centre front.

DSCF6223.thumb.JPG.0f321d6820b69b6db1fd799fc97b6ed3.JPG

Being a factory built, with underslung exhaust, someone suggested it was for type approval Westfield were seeking at the time - perhaps the tow ring is one of the requirements. Just another thing that shows me no two Westfields are alike.

When I broke down I also took the nose cone off & put a strap around both front chassis uprights, the only issue then is finding somewhere for your nose cone & bonnet!