Life after Westy's...earning my petrolhead stripes

B.RAD

Learn to fly. 10 - 4 roger dodger.

Not much help, but I went Westie, TVR, Lotus Elise and ended up back in a Westie................ Yes, I seem to like british, but Westie seems to tick more boxes for me.

• 6 months later...

Quick update - as mentioned before, I had a lovely MK1 MX5 which Sophia and I enjoyed thoroughly - a fantastic car for high days and dry days

IMG_20170810_191850.thumb.jpg.647e8094e6ff9d6c4aaaca632880ebcb.jpg

This went to @AdamR and was replaced with something a little unorthodox (and supplied by Adam!)...

IMG_20181021_121228.thumb.jpg.a37c774de7cebf119484867df72613d5.jpg

I kept the competitive urge going with some sprints and hillclimbs in my dad's mini, quite a successful start to the season with a new class record in the up to 1400cc road going class at Gurston Down, followed by a new class record at Llandow, but the season got cut short with a bump at Charmouth

FB_IMG_1526246294037.jpg.5ff19adde93b2ac2dbe94e47293e5b20.jpgIMG_20180609_074151_440.thumb.jpg.da8d8f045ba82b4ab32f4f5741731be8.jpg

Then the most utterly incredible experience of my life: an intensely generous offer to warm the tyres for @Paul Morcom in his wonderful Swift SE Formula Ford. I can honestly say this was the scariest, most daunting experience that turned into one of the most fun weekends ever! Sitting on the start line at Blyton, having never driven the car before, it was more than once that I thought "what on earth am I doing??"! But once I got the grips of the gearbox, it all worked out pretty well with some trophies to boot.

IMG_20180717_214927_020-852x852.jpg.e4460010fea6dcc3b85d9d6e72047e39.jpg

A mega thanks again to Paul for that once in a lifetime opportunity - I will never forget it.

All the while the track hack Mazda MX-5 that I co-own with @Marto303, affectionately known as the Silver S***ter kept its unflinching value for money ethos alive with plenty of trackdays, lapping up the abuse. It even got a spin at a Javelin sprint event at Snetterton as a season ender, and even somehow managed to come second in class. A piece of crap car like that, on ancient worn out tyres, was not supposed to be able to do that!!!

IMG_20181027_172535.thumb.jpg.7a7ebdeb22ea604118cd27041e832ec6.jpg

IMG_8551.JPG.d54d1dfd046859f69c57c5250079693c.thumb.JPG.fee1e69d1d44853f41be62cb314cf997.JPG

And that pretty much brings us up to date. Super excited about what 2019 will bring from a competitive perspective but options still open. 

Still umming and arring about what to buy as a toy car now the garage is empty, but not in any particular rush as the garage has to be cleared out first. Decisions, decisions.... :)

• Like 5

I must admit I'm very tempted. But if I went in that direction, I think would go the turbo route. Just has the best bang for buck ratio.

8 hours ago, BCF said:

I must admit I'm very tempted. But if I went in that direction, I think would go the turbo route. Just has the best bang for buck ratio.

Don’t know which suggestion you are considering but a turbo onto the MX-5 lump is very easy to do. All the internals are strong enough and then you are good to go with 250bhp, maybe a bit more in 550kg. It’s his Winter project.

My toy car ponderings at the moment, following an effective wife "ban" on a big American V8, is as follows:

Porsche 986 Boxster S

Porsche 996 (but I can only afford the cheaper end so might be a mistake)

Anything similar money to a Boxster S that offers the same values - roof down, compliant drive, bit of power? Not into Beemers.

I'm also seriously considering entering the Japanese Sprint Series so looking at various options for something competitive there. Current thoughts are:

MX5 turbo

Nissan 350Z 

Toyota Corolla Levin

Anything from the JDM scene I'm missing that offers good value to buy, rear wheel drive and a strong power to weight ratio?

I'm enjoying my RX-8 at the moment... makes an S2000 seem like a diesel

tongue firmly in cheek before anyone in a low revving Honda bites :p

Joking aside, I've found it a revelation to drive given how a Westfield can distort the view of 'normal' drives. I'm looking forward to the first track day next week to give the beeps a full exploration.

You also get the opportunity to contribute to the nation's finances in a considerable manner every 12 months! Bonus!

• Like 1

I do like an RX8 and there's only one other in the series so might be a good shout. Not convinced on the power to weight though, they're a big ol' lump!

6 minutes ago, RussH said:

MR2 Turbo would be an interesting new challenge for you. 

Yeah I'd be up for that. Not convinced about finding a decent, reliable one for sensible money though. I'll have a look. 

1 minute ago, maurici said:

Just buy another westfield...

You are delaying the unavoidable.

I'm not certain at the moment I'll ever go back to a Westfield, I absolutely loved my experience with one but feel like that box is ticked. We'll see though, never say never...

RX7, if you could find a decent one anymore?

I think too fragile for the age/wear of the car to be used for competition, I can forsee big running costs with one of those. But has certainly been on my dream list for a long while. I remember seeing a red one driving through the paddocks at a karting event when I was a kid, I chased it on my bike as I thought it was my childhood dream car, a Dodge Viper!

• Like 1