Electrics - Someone left a garden rake on a roundabout...

TomV

Someone left a garden rake on a busy roundabout, and before it was possible to brake I drove over it. I managed to avoid the forks puncturing the tyres, but it clearly pulled some of the electrical bundle from the transmission tunnel.  I'd secured it all again, but now my brake lights and indicators only work when the side lights or main lights are on. This isn't a major issue as I prefer to drive with at least the sides on to help others see me. But I have no idea how such a specific fault might be fixed. The wiring bundle seemed to be okay (oily, but okay) but I guess the pulling action has dislodged something I can't see. I'm going to get some ramps so I crawl under, but I'd appreciate some advice on where to start (other than looking for obvious damage).

Thanks, Tom

If your car has the old style fuseholder blocks on top of the tunnel just in front of the scuttle, maybe check there? Could have pulled a Lucar off the bottom easy enough under those circumstances.

• Like 1

Sounds as if an earth has become dislodged - that can have strange results.

• Like 1

Good shout - I only read 'loom pulled', not the full details so yes, missing earth is most likely. There's a main earth bundle just by the tunnel entry so one or more wires could have easily been pulled out of there. Should be able to see it from the engine bay easily enough. ISTR that was a bit tight on mine so might be an early candidate for failure if it got tugged.

Again, apologies for p***-poor attention when reading your post.

• Like 1

Sorry I cant give advice, just good wishes and empathy. Pleased to hear the loom is ok.

My loom fell onto the propshaft and didn't survive. I now have a multicore cable connecting the front and back of the car.

• Like 1