Aeroscreen fitting.....Angle???

TableLeg

TableLeg

I am yet to fit my Aeroscreen but am wondering that given it's design serves to deflect air over the head, how do you work out what angle to fix it when you can't drive it to test various positions?

Is there a general rule of thumb or does it's angle not really make that much of a difference?

Stu Faulkner

I fitted mine so I could see over it as I have lowered floors, it's about as low as I could get it  

It still works as it should and deflects the wind up to around 30-40 mph. 

• Like 1
Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AO
35 minutes ago, TableLeg said:

I am yet to fit my Aeroscreen but am wondering that given it's design serves to deflect air over the head, how do you work out what angle to fix it when you can't drive it to test various positions?

Is there a general rule of thumb or does it's angle not really make that much of a difference?

Don't fit it before IVA!

• Like 1
Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary

I'm confused, is this the Westfield double bubble type aeroscreen?

Do you have the full kit for it, it should include the grp lower section, a shaped Perspex upper smoked transparent section, an aluminum bracket and the fasteners for the above.

When fitted with the complete kit, the aluminum mounting bracket sort of hooks over the top of the scuttle, and then secures to the aeroscreen, sharing a bolt with the transparent Perspex. It sets the height of the screen, to the height it was designed to work at. 

Now some people, especially those that have gone for Tillets or JK moulded seats, mounted direct to the lowered floors, common to all current chassis, do sometimes have an issue seeing over the aeroscreen, in which case, then obviously, you need to lower it until you can see over it - that takes priority over its aerodynamic properties! (From what I've seen, people generally either omit the aluminum bracket all together, or make a smaller one!

As Ian said though, consider leaving fitting till Post IVA. The edge of the acrylic/Perspex section has occasionally failed the edge radius test in the past. If you do fit the screen pre-IVA, it's quite common to leave the Transparent section off, and just fit rubber edging Strip around the top of the grp section.

• Like 2
johngill

Mine is std westfield type fitted as per westfield instructions. I have cobra seats on runners with lowered floor and can see over top of areoscreen; just. Wind deflection excellent and very little buffeting 70mph +.

• Like 1
Andy (Sycho)

I just left the Perspex part of for IVA but trimmed around the fibreglass with edging.

Ive got the bracket fitted with jk's direct to the lowered floor & can just see over, you can see the bracket here that sets the height if you use it.

IMG_0445.thumb.JPG.6758234bad40126f8fe5cb17c09de9d3.JPG

TableLeg

Thanks ALL for the replies :yes:

I should have clarified, the aeroscreen is an Aerodynamix Carbon double bubble one. Like this...

doublebubble1-1.png

It came with a length of edging strip so the edges should be fine for IVA.

JK seats on runners.

I would rather fit the aeroscreen pre IVA so the car appears complete for the test.

:)

Andy (Sycho)

Personally I wouldn't fit it, it's got more chance of failing with it fitted.

• Like 2
Stu Faulkner
Just now, Sycho said:

Personally I wouldn't fit it, it's got more chance of failing with it fitted.

Agreed.

If the tester thinks that the aero screen falls in your line of sight he will class it as a window screen and want wipers etc.

• Like 1
TableLeg

OK thanks Andy (and all the others who've suggested the same).

Perhaps I'll reconsider fitting it before IVA.

• Like 3
TableLeg

So in that case.....

Will I need to make a crashpad for the scuttle/dash edge?

Chris King - Webmaster

I went through IVA without the aeroscreen, so would advise you do likewise.

mine is quite shallow due to me being not that tall, with JK seats and lowered floors. Works great.

here it is at IVA

20150520_084237.jpg

And as it is now

IMG_0041.JPG

• Like 2
Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary

Unless the IVA manual says otherwise.

You need to be able to see the targets specified in the IVA manual, if you can do it with just wing mirrors, then no you don't need the centre mirror.

However, always, always check online, the latest IVA manual, as it does receive updates periodically, and what was correct on these pages last month, or even year, may change at any given moment.