Cycle wing with adhesive How to Guide

DELETE ME

I have had a lot of assistance from WSCC members in my short time being here. I wanted to give something back and created a how to guide for cycle wings that will hopefully help others.

I know there are lots of ways of doing this but wanted to share how I achieved cycle wing replacement with out fixing with bolts.

Please see the attached guide of how I went about the task.

Cycle_Wings_Quick_How_To.pdf

• Like 2

That's great, thank you

just need to buy my new cycle wings now... anyone know where as Westfield have no stock...

For interest, Amazon sell the PU18 for £7.90 on prime

Ian

37 minutes ago, ianht71 said:

That's great, thank you

just need to buy my new cycle wings now... anyone know where as Westfield have no stock...

For interest, Amazon sell the PU18 for £7.90 on prime

Ian

I bought mine from here http://www.mksportscars.com/caterham-lotus-7-style-front-cycle-wing-mudguards-carbon-pre-preg-csr-15-pair.html

On ‎21‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 18:47, BobMet said:

Thanks, looks promising. Let us know how they stand up to road use.

Gave the wings a good test over the weekend with around 250 miles covered and the wings are nice and solid with no problems

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

Just a side note I bonded the front arches on my dax rush, 2 sets, first set took a few days to remove with blades and wedges etc, as I was replacing the stays. When refitting I found to get the best bond to the fibreglass I used a wire brush on a battery gun cleaning off all traces well wide of the stay contact area. Then it needed degreasing well. Once dried I warmed the area with a hairdryer and applied a lot of sikaflex 221 in black to both contact patches. Pressed in the arch onto the stay. The stay was fitted to the hub so as to get the correct positioning. The stay I took off the coating down to the wood. Once positioned carefully removed the wheel without moving the arch. From underneath then totally covered the stay with sikaflex really generously and smoothed it out... Wheel on. Hold down arch with masking tape for a day or so till set. 

That will be stronger than the stay. As long as the under arch is rough and chemically clean. 

I tested the theory in Germany after barrel rolling the car twice over hitting the wheels which took the full force of the impact at 50mph. The accident was caused by a deer hitting the RHF wheel with a huge force, yet still the arches didn't move at all... 

• 10 months later...

My cycle wings are attached fine - BUT the front wheels / wing combo appear to throw all the road water / mud straight into driver's lap making me cold and passenger's lap (making her grumpy). 

Even with doors fitted, the wheels / wings appear to set up some sort of vortex between door and side of bodywork - today I could actually watch the water droplets moving around in circles before either soaking my right arm or my right leg (depending on position of arm and Tesco bags (immediate fix)). 

Has anyone tried some sort of cycle wing mudflap for Winter use? I realise it wouldn't look attractive so would remove for the summer but would make car more useable for the wetter months.  

6 hours ago, Somerset Jim said:

Has anyone tried some sort of cycle wing mudflap for Winter use? I realise it wouldn't look attractive so would remove for the summer but would make car more useable for the wetter months.  

A quick search of the forum for "mudflaps" returns 141 threads

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Somerset Jim said:

My cycle wings are attached fine - BUT the front wheels / wing combo appear to throw all the road water / mud straight into driver's lap making me cold and passenger's lap (making her grumpy). 

Even with doors fitted, the wheels / wings appear to set up some sort of vortex between door and side of bodywork - today I could actually watch the water droplets moving around in circles before either soaking my right arm or my right leg (depending on position of arm and Tesco bags (immediate fix)). 

Don't bother. unless you have them dragging off the floor, rally style they don't make much difference! I'm aero screened and hence have no doors either! You'll end up damaging the wings.

Mine are attached with Big Head fasteners and work well, but they do nearly drag the floor, as Ian says. You also need to be quite careful reversing over brake test rollers

IMG_20201222_102747.thumb.jpg.f3d2990d24967f468654ec26d077ea0a.jpgIMG_20201222_102722.thumb.jpg.93afa605b987a711cbb1fbc415ecf9fc.jpg

• Like 1

Fitted mudfaps with Velcro, figured that might let go if need arose before damaging the wing. Against expectations have stayed stayed on to date! Tempting fate I know🤫.

C20C312F-33CB-423A-8116-FB1BBBBC4D80.thumb.jpeg.d9da71cc602197cc21f61eda502f526c.jpeg

Water still streams off sides and bottom of flap though!

I roll up a microfibre cloth and tuck it down the rear of the side screen to stop my elbow getting saturated. Problem is remembering it when you get out, usually ends up dropping in a muddy puddle. Luckily financial controllers side stays dry (for a a Westfield anyway!) 

Know long time owners who limit spray by carrying a couple of duster/rags rolled up and covered in polythene, can then be pushed down between side screen and body.

Liking the last 2 suggestions, thanks very much - also think velcro or similar is a great idea to avoid stress cracking from any drilled holes.

I have some strong hook and eye stuff (slightly stronger than velcro) used for motorbike number plates - think I'll use that for attachment and do some rubber cutting / shaping over the holidays.   Only going in the garage to keep you dry darling! 😀

I’ve found that style of mudflap pretty effective on ours. As noted, they do need to go pretty low and you have to watch them on the brake rollers.

One thing I noticed when I had a set made from Kaylan (which is pretty flexible), in certain peculiar circumstances, they can flip up, get caught by the tyre and get dragged up inside the cycle wing then rub on the tyre. This only used to happen at one specific point on a regular trip, where there was a sharp narrow pothole across the road at a point where the car was always going quite slowly (exit of a small roundabout). The mudflaps would reset themselves as soon as the car was reversed into the drive too. Wore right through two sets over the years. No damage to anything else though, so just made some more. Used some 3mm rubber sheet last time. Also made some for my latest project.

When I was road tripping I actually resorted to some slightly more extreme measures to limit that little vortex of water getting in and fitted some rubber seals around the door path. Still need to stuff a little rag in there but it's way better than it was before! 

IMG_20190929_100252.thumb.jpg.b025b6747e3ae31a797b5d8ec19b07bf.jpg

IMG_20190929_100259.thumb.jpg.a0afae53f93db7f0566d7c96927e4fa6.jpg

The more annoying issue I had though, which might be fixed by those mud flaps, was small bits of gravel getting flung off the front wheels, bouncing off the rear arches, up and under the hood, and then into my hair. The whole car would be full with gravel at the end of a long drive in the wet.