Glove

Cycle wing with adhesive How to Guide

Glove

I have had a lot of assistance from WSCC members in my short time being here. I wanted to give something back and created a how to guide for cycle wings that will hopefully help others.

I know there are lots of ways of doing this but wanted to share how I achieved cycle wing replacement with out fixing with bolts.

Please see the attached guide of how I went about the task.

Cycle_Wings_Quick_How_To.pdf

• Like 2

ianht71

That's great, thank you

just need to buy my new cycle wings now... anyone know where as Westfield have no stock...

For interest, Amazon sell the PU18 for £7.90 on prime

Ian

BobMet

Thanks, looks promising. Let us know how they stand up to road use.

Glove
37 minutes ago, ianht71 said:

That's great, thank you

just need to buy my new cycle wings now... anyone know where as Westfield have no stock...

For interest, Amazon sell the PU18 for £7.90 on prime

Ian

I bought mine from here http://www.mksportscars.com/caterham-lotus-7-style-front-cycle-wing-mudguards-carbon-pre-preg-csr-15-pair.html

Glove
On ‎21‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 18:47, BobMet said:

Thanks, looks promising. Let us know how they stand up to road use.

Gave the wings a good test over the weekend with around 250 miles covered and the wings are nice and solid with no problems

tex

Just a side note I bonded the front arches on my dax rush, 2 sets, first set took a few days to remove with blades and wedges etc, as I was replacing the stays. When refitting I found to get the best bond to the fibreglass I used a wire brush on a battery gun cleaning off all traces well wide of the stay contact area. Then it needed degreasing well. Once dried I warmed the area with a hairdryer and applied a lot of sikaflex 221 in black to both contact patches. Pressed in the arch onto the stay. The stay was fitted to the hub so as to get the correct positioning. The stay I took off the coating down to the wood. Once positioned carefully removed the wheel without moving the arch. From underneath then totally covered the stay with sikaflex really generously and smoothed it out... Wheel on. Hold down arch with masking tape for a day or so till set. 

That will be stronger than the stay. As long as the under arch is rough and chemically clean. 

I tested the theory in Germany after barrel rolling the car twice over hitting the wheels which took the full force of the impact at 50mph. The accident was caused by a deer hitting the RHF wheel with a huge force, yet still the arches didn't move at all...