Newbie midlife crisis number 2

Chris Brading

Butterfly effect,

For Christmas I was given a Lego Porsche that I greatly enjoyed that lead me to thinking about building a real car, how hard could it be right?  My first hurdle ( actually  my wife was the first hurdall but you don't need to know about my months of pleading that eventally ground her down ) was a garage but I was able to rent one from Oxford City Council only a couple of miles away so in June a Chassis and several boxes were installed into it ( FW Special ) now me and my wife realise how impractical  this arrangement is so we have put the house up for sale!  Zoopla search  Garage/Garden.

I have made a tentative start but ran into difficulty early on as the limited slip diff when fitted interfered with the chassis.  Westfield were very quick to collect chassis and rectify the fault on the chassis and returned it eight days later. I hate too criticise Westfield but the Lego manual is much better than the Westfield one!  Does anyone have lots of photos of FW special build that would be useful for me?

Have you looked through the various build threads on here?

Welcome aboard 

Best thing to do is start a build thread in the Tech Talk section. You won't believe how useful it will be!

Also look at some of the build threads in there (list of them linked to at the top). 

But most importantly, enjoy the build!

A few photos on mine, lots more to share should you run into problems. Looking forward to reading your build thread ;-)

3 hours ago, Chris Brading said:

I hate too criticise Westfield but the Lego manual is much better than the Westfield one

You won't hear me argue with that.

:ww: By the way.

Oh, and snap.....

2016-08-29 17.16.09.jpg

:ww: from sunny(?) Somerset. As previously said, start a build thread, you won't regret it. I find mine is invaluable on my build. Impressive amount of knowledge and experience on here. Friendly as well.

• Like 1

People said I was nuts when I had to build a garage to build my westie in. You've trumped that by buying a new house! Good effort :t-up:.

If you start a build thread in tech talk and keep it updated, it's invaluable as the experience of the builders on here will guide you a damn site more than the manual ever will.

Good luck with the move:yes:

Hi, Chris,

Welcome to the world of Westfield ownership and to the WSCC - a rather large support group for those with mid life crises!  I would count myself in that having had my "Menoporsche" moment three years ago and having since built a Westfield Eleven.  I also had to build a garage to effectively undertake the task, and now to house the product.

This coming Thursday (27th) sees the North Oxfordshire group of the WSCC taking a run out starting at McDonald's in Botley, Oxford at 7pm to the H Cafe, Berinsfield, where there is a classic car / bike evening.  If you would like to come along, you would be welcome to join us at either end of the run.  We're the friendly lot with Westfields!

Our normal meet is the last Wednesday of the month at the Rock of Gibraltar Pub at Enslow, north of Kidlington.  There will be no meeting there this week due to the H Cafe run the following evening but normal service will be resumed in August.

Simon (feel free to get in touch)

• Like 1

Welcome Chris

Simon has beat me to it. Come along on Thursday if you can

Where do you live?

Hi Chris.    You are not alone, there's a few Lego enthusiasts on here as well.  Ultimately the Westfield will give more thrills though, good luck.

I live very close to the Rock of Gibraltar place called Thrupp until we sell are house that is,  I will try to get to Mucky D's this Thursday I assume you will be driving Westfields? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Chris Brading said:

I live very close to the Rock of Gibraltar place called Thrupp until we sell are house that is,  I will try to get to Mucky D's this Thursday I assume you will be driving Westfields? 

Great, hope to see you. Yes if it is dry we will be in the Westfield's

I live in Kidlington

Hi, Chris,

The aim will be to go in the Westfields.  The weather forecast does not currently predict too much rain so it looks as if the plan might just work!

Simon