Megablade vs Seight comparison

kev91

Looking for a bit of advise from the wealth of knowledge from the club.

I have had my Megablade now for nearly 7 years, I do still enjoy getting out for a blat in it. I have never had any real problems with it and has required little maintenance out with regular servicing.

But recently the inch has came back and the craving for a V8.

Can anybody offer a comparison between the two for me? I know the driving experience will be different, just don't know how to compare them myself.

Any advise at all would be appreciated.

First you need to consider what you do with the Blade and then how would the V8 be different apart from engine noise etc

Way less gear changes with the v8! :)

If you like the frantic acceleration of the blade and the sequential gearbox the v8 won't be for you, as they have so much torque they will pull in virtually all the gears from any revs.

Top end speed/power will be a lot more,mway cruising will be much nicer.

• Like 2

Not had a bike engine Westfield but have owned a Grinnall Scorpion and now a V8 Westfield. I find with bike engine cars there are lots of thrills to be had IF you are in the mood. The V8 can be very lazy and relaxing (comparatively) to drive, only really need 2nd and 5th gears but completely ballistic if you want to be

I think where a bike engine Westfield could be quite one dimensional the V8 is more versatile and probably more of an all rounder than a lot of people give it credit for - plus there is the added attraction of watching peoples faces when you lift the bonnet to reveal the lump beneath

• Like 1

I think a blade and a V8 sit at opposite ends of the engine spectrum.

As @CosKev said, the blade will give you high revving brutal acceleration enhanced by the light weight of the motor whilst a V8 will give you loads and loads of low-down grunt and pulling power. The V8, by definition, will be a much heavier car.

The two engines will give you a very very different car, the blade more suited to quick bursts and blats, the V8 for longer road-touring runs.

IMHO the V8 soundtrack cannot be beaten too but that's a personal thing.

• Like 4

Thanks guys, I think you's have summed up some of what I was thinking.

I do enjoy the sequential gearbox of my blade and is quick off the mark, but sometime feels like you've got to bang down the gears if you need/want to make a spirited overtake on the road. However I do not enjoy sitting on the motorway in mine, 70mph is about 6k rpm.

I have only ever drive one other westie which was a zetec st170 and found it quite dull the way it accelerated.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kev91 said:

I have only ever drive one other westie which was a zetec st170 and found it quite dull the way it accelerated.

A V8 will be anything but dull in the way it accelerates - what I find amusing is that after 4 months mine does not feel that quick anymore - until you look down at the speedo and then look in your rear view mirror and realise the speck way behind was sitting on your tail a few seconds ago

Would be worth driving a V8 - I know some hate them, I love mine and glad I chose it over a bike engine car, love the absurdity of a 5.1 V8 in such a small car

• Like 1

I definitely agree about the way they accelerate, I let one of the Scottish Clan pull out as I was over taking, his car was a 4.3 v8 and it just b*******ed off into the distance, no matter how hard I tried to keep up.

Will maybe try see if there are any local members with a seight.

A 5.1 must be absolutely mental :d