What's in a number?

John Dolan - Wirral & North Wales AO

N.T.S.C.

Never

The

Same

Color (sic)

On 12/07/2017 at 12:26, pistonbroke said:

Having spent the best years of my life as a TV Eng I didn't need to Google " 4433618.75 Mhz as the "colour burst " frequency of a Phase Alternate Line colour decoder  

very briefly its the frequency generated in a PAL colour system  to synchronise the receiver with the transmitted signal and decode the transmitted chroma signal  . 

A full explanation would take several pages of advanced maths and a whole lot of typing  , not much point unless you are a tv / radio geek in which case go Google 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PAL

You too eh. I started that game in 1981. Had a brief hiatus around '97 then finished last year. 

I suppose this is a largely pointless game these days isn't it, only thing anyone needs to know is how to type google.....

Never Twice the Same Colour was the one I recall. System Essentially Contrary to the American Method for SECAM.

16 minutes ago, corsechris said:

Never Twice the Same Colour was the one I recall. System Essentially Contrary to the American Method for SECAM.

Actually, you're right of course! Crap by any other name is just as bad... :d

Well there both dead and gone now , thanks to Digital , whether the changeover  improved things or not is open to debate , personally I don't think digi TV comes anywhere close to the old analogue system for picture quality , just allows a fantastic amount  of crappie channels to broadcast loads of bosh + all the other benefits like pay as you view + audience research + multitudes of repeats etc etc . 

HDR is pretty good but I've not seen any 4k or 8k stuff to get excited about, and viewing anything upscaled can look truly weird! As for 3D....I'm glad to see that is quietly dying out.

If we actually received genuine uncompressed 2k HD material at home I'd be more than happy. As it is, as you say, its just compressed to death so more streams of inane low quality (in every sense) garbage can be fired at us over the same bandwidth.

I can still recall the heady days when BBC HD had a whole 10Mbps of bandwidth to play with before they stat-muxed it all to death.

Output of the mixer used to look OK in RGB but as soon as you coded it......

Ah, the good old days :)  

I still remember the shock of seeing HD demos at the trade shows, back in the days when the only HD sources they could use were broadcast standard recorders. There was a clip of a shuttle launch used quite a lot, and there were details in the rocket exhaust you'd just seen before. There were normally quite cynical TV/av professionals just getting quite giddy over it :laugh: 

• 1 year later...

I had a summer job around 1990 working in the TV industry where they were working with 1250 line HDTV (analogue, without compression).

The picture quality was absolutely stunning but I remember we had BARCO CRT monitor which we used as a reference. It took 5 of us to carry it out of the van and into the lab!

The display technology has certainly come on a bit since then.