Clan McWesty: Oh Oban! 23rd JULY 2017

Rab (bombero) Reid

No sooner are we back from our chippy run to Eyemouth, that we're looking forward to our next run out! 

Oban run is as taken from a previous year and are as follows:-

ROUTE UPDATE (as of 15:45 19th JULY) - An updated route has been suggested by Matt (Matta aka MatNav) which takes in new roads, and the details are as follows:-
Meeting #1: Kilmahog for 09:15 to leave at 09:30
Meeting #2: Green Welly for 10:15 to leave at 10:30
Route: Connel Bridge (A85) for lunch at the Blue Oyster Club I mean, the Oyster Hotel - Oban (A816 south) - Lochgilhead - Inveraray (A83) for coffee - Arrochar - A814/A817 for Balloch (A82) for the north/south goodbyes. Southeners then can choose between A811/A81 towards Aberfoyle/Dukes Pass/Kilmahog or round the back of Campsies towards Stirling.

NAMES
Matt
Dave L
Dave P
Rab
Iain
Bob/Lorna

• Like 4

Sorry Guys, I cant make this one as daughters wedding is the Saturday and I'm staying in Stirling.....

Hopefully I can make this, even more hopefully I can make it in the Westy :) Will confirm in the days before :yes:

Cheers,

Brian

• Like 1

UPDATE: See first post for details

Really hoping to be able to make this - can I just check that this is the planned route? (I will join you at Tyndrum).

https://www.plotaroute.com/route/452461

Dave.

PS - This is the Dukes pass route that Bob has suggested...

https://www.plotaroute.com/route/452517

I'd suggest if you want to add some twisties starting at Aberfoyle as opposed to Kilmahog and going over Dukes pass. You'll end up at Kilmahog. From Stirling take the A84 but instead of heading through Doune and Callander take the A873 just before Blair Drummond. That will take you to Aberfoyle where there is a large car park to meet in (and toilets). 

For those from the East that might not have heard of or been over Dukes, it's well worth the detour. 

Here is a link to a video from a couple of years ago. The video goes to the bottom of Dukes and then you still have the run along Loch Achray  and Loch Venacher. 

3 hours ago, Davep1 said:

Really hoping to be able to make this - can I just check that this is the planned route? (I will join you at Tyndrum).
https://www.plotaroute.com/route/452461

Dave.

PS - This is the Dukes pass route that Bob has suggested...
https://www.plotaroute.com/route/452517

..unless we do the whole route from Kilmahog in a clockwise direction? We've got a wee while to amend any details as it depends who's coming and from what direction.

Hi All,  

good to meet you last week at the eyemouth chippy run - my son, Callum, enjoyed the day as much as i did ( more if he'd driven, I'm sure).  

We're good for the 23rd run to Oban - we'll be heading over via Stirling and so Kilmahog appears best, dependent on the final route of course.

cheers

Iain

• Like 1

I'll see whoever is going at Kilmahog as well on Sunday. Will be there for 09:00ish.

Just looking at the route Dave's posted. I think last time we headed back east from Connel after lunch on the A85, then south to Inverary on the A819 (before Dalmally). We didn't go though Oban itself, or do the anti-clockwise route via Oban and and the long way round to Inverary. From a time point of view last time, I had to head straight back through Tyndrum and home via Crianlarich and Callander etc. and will probably need to do the same again this year (unless I get a late pass!).

Matt

ROUTE UPDATE (15:45 19th JULY) - see first post for details.
A new route has been suggested by Matt which will take in new roads and not make this day overly long (approx 200 miles opposed to 300 miles, considering that folk still have to make their way home afterwards). First post has been updated with the details. Thanks to Matt for his contrtibution! :yes:

Sorry, won't make this now. Daughter is coming for the weekend - yeah :d / boo :( - depending on your viewpoint. Will hopefully make the next one, and more hopefully will have the Westy back by then :yes:

Cheers,

Brian

• Like 1