Important (good) news for those considering Mega S2000 builds

Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary

I had Richard from Omex round this morning to collect my car so that Omex could sort out a final niggling issue, (been fixed in current throttle body kits since late December 2016).

While I had the chance, I asked about the second generation fly-by-wire S2000 engines, (everything post 2006, if I remember correctly.

Fantastic news; Omex have already done one with a throttle body kit. So essentially, if you buy a 2006 onwards drive-by-wire engine, you need to let Omex know, they will supply the Mega S2000 ecu already configured for the DBW engines different trigger wheel patterns on the cam and crank, (actually, Honda changed them to K20 pattern wheels, according to Richard). As usual, you will also need to supply the Honda engine loom, so that they can raid a few of the connectors, and then Omex will supply you a set of throttle bodies and ecu plus loom to convert your DBW engine to normal cable operation with their ITB's

For anyone that already has an engine, but needed to change, then your existing Omex S2000 ecu can be reconfigured by Omex for the DBW engine. You would also need a couple of the connectors off the newer F20C engine and have to swap them on to your current S2000 loom.

If you already have Omex throttle bodies, that's all, if you haven't, then you'd need to upgrade to their throttle bodies at the same time!

So suddenly, the 2006 onwards engines are available to us, without having to mess around with internal trigger wheels.

:sun:

• Like 3
Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AO

Wasn't this similar to what @kimptos asked them to do when he had his engine failure and used a different block? Have they had a change of heart?

I'm not sure, from what I can gather, as it's effectively there K20 setup, it's really an easy change to make, so there may be some other underlying issue with that one...

Or possibly just that they wanted a car to do the first conversion on and wouldn't just release parts untested?

• Like 1
Thrustyjust

So, you need to buy a fly by wire engine, junk the fly by wire system, install a currently unreliable throttle body system and fit to the car. So , in all about £6k in engine . Think I would rather invest in an ST engine ( new) and have change. 

• Like 2

The TBs aren't currently unreliable.

Thrustyjust
12 minutes ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

The TBs aren't currently unreliable.

Oh, I thought there was still issues with the spring returns and sticking ?

That was sorted out last December, unfortunately a very small number (4) of the replacementt sets that had the new "fixed" dimensions turned out to be ever so slightly out of tolerance, meaning the fix didn't actually work for us. 

Omex invested heavily, back around that December period, in new measuring equipment that ensured the slightly wide of ideal tolerance issue would not repeat. At the time though, it was just four of us that were unlucky, others like Tom had sets from the same batch, with no tolerance issue that have never suffered from the problem.

Very unfortunately, for various reasons, Omex were not fully aware that there were four sets with remaining issues until a little before Stoneleigh. So the final push to ensure everybody was sorted out and happy has only taken place post Stoneleigh.

• Like 1
Thrustyjust

Thats good news then Dave that all the teething for throttle bodies are resolved and we wont hear any more issues from them being faulty now.

Alas the F20C engine seems to give them a much harder life than pretty much any other engine! - all seems to eff cticely be down to engine heat, but even Honda had problems with that!

Thrustyjust
1 hour ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

Alas the F20C engine seems to give them a much harder life than pretty much any other engine! - all seems to eff cticely be down to engine heat, but even Honda had problems with that!

I agree that the amount of heat they chuck out is immense compared to my Zetec car. I would have thought a longer tract length to try and keep the butterflies away from the engine may have helped , as the original has long tracts from the main manifold for pulse tuning etc.

• 1 year later...

does anyone have an update on this as info from Westfield and Omex is very sparse.

i have had a set on order since Nov 2017 all paid for and sent my ecu back for remap, stripped out the old inlet manifold and sold off some parts so i havent been able to use the car at all.

Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AO

You have a PM

Steve (sdh2903)
2 hours ago, Uv salon said:

does anyone have an update on this as info from Westfield and Omex is very sparse.

i have had a set on order since Nov 2017 all paid for and sent my ecu back for remap, stripped out the old inlet manifold and sold off some parts so i havent been able to use the car at all.

You must be very patient! 8 months wait:o

CraigHew
3 hours ago, Uv salon said:

wow, can't understand why you'd do that before you received the new bits.  Even a dry fit may throw up some unforeseen issues....:down:

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, CraigHew said:

wow, can't understand why you'd do that before you received the new bits.  Even a dry fit may throw up some unforeseen issues....:down:

thought that there would be plenty of time between the parts arriving and the sun coming out.