merp0

Better Late than Never

merp0

This thread doesn't start with a trip to the Westfield factory, or a picture of a shiney floored empty garage, it starts with a long neglected unfinished machine, that looks like this

u62iJSa.jpg

5QRThjY.jpg

6mt4EYo.jpg

MTOUSMr.jpg

0GomkCr.jpg

As you can see it's as much a restoration as it is a build. It's a 1991 Pinto Seiw that has never been near a road. Bought by a friend as an unfinished project in 1993 and never progressed further than this. Aiming to Get it road legal eventually :) if at all possible, maybe, well we can always just do a few track days in it, let's see how far we get ;)

• Like 5

CraigHew

:ww:

I'm sure you'll have great fun with the build / resto / re-build.

It's nothing that hasn't been done many times before.  Remember to ask lots of questions on here if you need answers, there's always someone who knows little snippets that can save you time and effort along the way.

• Like 1

Thrustyjust

Looks like fun ahead !! See @garytipping with his prelit build for help on his way to IVA . Good luck and looking forward to more early cars appearing. Ideal opportunity to put a zetec in there rather than a boat anchor pinto though, if no holes for the exhaust have been cut.

• Like 3

Adge Cutler- Dorset AO

:ww: from sunny Somerset. Lot of knowledge and experience available via this forum. Friendly as well.

Enjoy your build.

• Like 1

merp0
5 hours ago, CraigHew said:

:ww:

I'm sure you'll have great fun with the build / resto / re-build.

It's nothing that hasn't been done many times before.  Remember to ask lots of questions on here if you need answers, there's always someone who knows little snippets that can save you time and effort along the way.

Thanks Craig, there will be questions :d

merp0
4 hours ago, Thrustyjust said:

Looks like fun ahead !! See @garytipping with his prelit build for help on his way to IVA . Good luck and looking forward to more early cars appearing. Ideal opportunity to put a zetec in there rather than a boat anchor pinto though, if no holes for the exhaust have been cut.

Thanks Thrusty, It will be fun, I've followed Gary's thread so I can read it at leisure.

Your right about the Zetec, we've already got a Pinto with all ancillaries, but I would think that if we were to sell it, we may get a complete Zetec engined Car for not much more.

• Like 1

merp0
4 hours ago, AdgeC said:

:ww: from sunny Somerset. Lot of knowledge and experience available via this forum. Friendly as well.

Enjoy your build.

Thanks AdgeC

Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary

Pinto (engine) values have been really climbing hard in the past few years, from what people keep telling me; demand from the retro Ford boys for more original style engine installations I guess?

It does mean you might be surprised at how much selling a decent Pinto to sell was to a Zetec might recoup though! (Hopefully :d )

merp0
1 hour ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

Pinto (engine) values have been really climbing hard in the past few years, from what people keep telling me; demand from the retro Ford boys for more original style engine installations I guess?

It does mean you might be surprised at how much selling a decent Pinto to sell was to a Zetec might recoup though! (Hopefully :d )

Yes, if it can be seen running, that will make a difference, plus it's the 205 block which seems to command a premium. Food for thought :) 

merp0

A little bit of work done, going to dummy build as much as possible to prove it all works and any thing that needs welding/grinding can be done before the whole thing gets stripped down again to paint/ clean.

bit of cleaning 

cdBeahP.jpg

XDSfIA6.jpg

Fitting the seats

z61m4B1.jpg

Yx42rTx.jpg

A bit of radiator fiddling.

KGOQiqM.jpg

• Like 1

merp0

Brakes connected up and bled, all seem to work ok

PLFSWmV.jpg

1aXjmbf.jpg

• Like 1

Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary

The vital cup of tea installed I see! :yes: :d

• Like 1

merp0
2 hours ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

The vital cup of tea installed I see! :yes: :d

Liquid engineering :d

Phil J

One question for the more knowledgeable than me, is that steering column compliant with the current IVA regulations? 

It looks nearly straight without any collapsible elements.

Thrustyjust

Is that a flat front mk2 mexico in the back ground ?