Sign in to follow this  
Atkins

Protuding Rear Wheels!

Atkins

Hi,

New to the forum and not particularly technical.  First Westfield bought 2 months ago, 1999 SEiW running Sierra SDV and Ford CVH, 15 inch Pro Race Wheels (J7) with ET23 off set on 195/50/50 Toyo's

So my issue is that my rear wheels stick out war too far and since adjusting the ride height to 160mm on the rear, they have started rubbing when the car is under load - or even just going over a slightly uneven road.  To me they protrude far to much so I thought the rear wheel offset must be wrong.   I reached out to Westfield who confirmed the off set should be ET23 on the fronts and ET 24 on the rear.  The guy that fitted the wheels before I bought it put ET23 all round - so although it's not totally correct, in my mind the 1mm difference isn't the issue.

I've got 2 pictures trying to show the issue, first showing the protrusion and the second showing (well attempting to) the size of the rear hub - which looks massive!

Issue pics: https://goo.gl/photos/4gqwxvSxy6YHSiHL8

The car itself: https://goo.gl/photos/1huqJwHa5298nnsC8

I can jack the car up in the meantime, but I've just had a cage fitted as I wanted to do a few sprints and track days, and running it at over 175mm at the rear just seems very high - although not driven it in anger yet.

Question is what could be causing this - is the off set info I have correct or is that the issue - it's just that the hubs do look very wide. 

Any advice appreciated, can have a play and get more pics tonight if needs be.

Thanks in advance,

Lee

TableLeg

Have you taken off a rear wheel to check if anybody has previously fitted any wheel hub spacers?

Might be worth a look. You may even be able to tell looking through the wheels themselves.

Andy (Sycho)

Are both sides the same? Have you checked the offset?

Deanspoors

also, maybe check the arch widths as there are several different sizes available. I had wide detachable arches fitted originally for 8" wheels, but since going to 10" rims I now have replaced them with extra wide. You may have standard size arches. 

stephenh

I'm surprised that the Sierra SDV uses wheels with et23mm. The car which I used to own was a 2008 factory built car, so used the later Westfield alloy hubs and that used et23mm. I had an idea that some of the earlier cars used wheels with et38mm. however I am not sure which model or models that applied to. Hopefully someone with more knowledge, and preferably with actual experience, of the Sierra SDV or the similar age to your car will post the answer soon.

Atkins

Thanks for the swift responses:

I'll take a wheel off tonight and look for some spacers - although the pic I posted via the google link shows the bubs behind the wheel - it didn't look as though it had spacers and I've had the wheels off before (and can't recall seeing anything that could cause this)

Both sides are the same, although driver rubs more - as you'd suspect I suppose.

stephenh - That's interesting what you say about the off set - I keep coming back to this but just wanted to check I wasn't jumping to conclusions - especially as Westfield mentioned ET23

TableLeg

If you're taking the wheel off you may as well check it actually is the et you think it is by measuring it.

Chris King - Webmaster

My Sierra SDV has et38 wheels and the extra wide arches. Et23 wouldn't fit in my opinion. 

Chris King - Webmaster

And if you mention to the factory it's a Sierra SDV they will confirm that et23/24 is not suitable. 

Chris King - Webmaster

IMG_20150919_143435068_HDR.jpg

Here's mine with et38 and extra wide arches 

• Like 1

stephenh

And for those who are unsure what the et number means in practice, the bigger the offset number, the more the wheel will be offset towards the centre line so a lower number will stick out more, just like on Atkins' car!

So in a nutshell, Atkins' car has wheels with insufficient offset. Atkins, it looks like you have wheels for a later car, not for the car you have. The wheels will have a reasonable saleable value, so don't worry too much!

Atkins

Thanks for the responses to this... Appreciated. 

Just measured my arches, from the tub to the outside of the arch and its 24.5cm....@Chris King would you be able to confirm the width of your extra wide arches? 

New (rear) wheels it is! 

Chris King - Webmaster

Pretty sure they are 28cm from memory.

Can measure them tomorrow though.

edit - found some old info confirming they are 11" or 28cm wide.

Atkins

Thanks, much appreciated...(all)