Broken down - Spun bearing

Quinten

15 hours ago, Quinten Uijldert - Northants AO said:

Pffft, how come it is always >25C when I need to get my hands dirty...  I couldn't get the sump off, it sort of hangs 3cm below the bottom end, and won't go any further than that.  Need to lift the engine (well, the bottom half) off the bellhousing to clear some obstruction there before I can inspect it.  Hoping to borrow one this week so I can continue stripping.

I did drain the oil and it's like looking in a mirror

2017-07-02+13_16_05.jpg

Looks like Mercury :(

At this point I dont see the point of filtering the oil. With the piston showing damage its got to be stripped now anyway.

At this point I'd just look for a cheep used motor.   Bolt on any useful nice bits and the important conversion parts.  I.e. If your cams are special, the throttle bodies and get it back in the road for summer even if it's not quite the final spec you want.     

7 minutes ago, DamperMan said:

At this point I'd just look for a cheep used motor.   Bolt on any useful nice bits and the important conversion parts.  I.e. If your cams are special, the throttle bodies and get it back in the road for summer even if it's not quite the final spec you want.     

Hi I would consider the used option, it's probably cheaper than a regrind, bearings, gaskets, and cleaning all the oilways of any debris from a  bearing failure.

You can always swap your head/cams over to a new engine.

Needs pistons swapping onto a donor bottom end too as they look non standard to me. 

Finally had a few minutes spare today and got to the crank.

5962410fab118_2017-07-0912_13_22.thumb.jpg.4019ed1aa021413b1da2d74312779f58.jpg

5962410a99038_2017-07-0912_13_12.thumb.jpg.cb09476fc0a8f8018e1333f2b4169a0c.jpg

59624114bc3df_2017-07-0912_13_46.thumb.jpg.23e29ca5cfb9d791cb024b52cf34b4da.jpg

5962411a5d2c7_2017-07-0912_22_14.thumb.jpg.d1a20c46e3d99401b85900677aa2d8d0.jpg

5962411f4b258_2017-07-0912_22_20.thumb.jpg.90db465c654256185576563ec59ec651.jpg

Goosed!

Which piston was it on?

Glad it had been found and you can get on with the rebuild.

The amazing thing is that was diagnosed by fellow members just from a video :suspect:

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Gary (KugaWestie) - North Oxfordshire AO said:

Which piston was it on?

It was cylinder 1, the one closest to the front of the engine.

15 minutes ago, Gary (KugaWestie) - North Oxfordshire AO said:

The amazing thing is that was diagnosed by fellow members just from a video :suspect:

Yes, I've said it before a few times, but the being a member of this club makes me very proud.  Without the club, I'd be...  well, goodness knows where I'd be...

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Quinten Uijldert - Northants AO said:

It was cylinder 1, the one closest to the front of the engine.

Yes, I've said it before a few times, but the being a member of this club makes me very proud.  Without the club, I'd be...  well, goodness knows where I'd be...

Driving a caterham?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Quinten Uijldert - Northants AO said:

Without the club, I'd be...  well, goodness knows where I'd be...

Sane

With disposable income

Have friends who didn't smell of oil and have sun burnt ears...

• Like 4

• 4 months later...

Gosh, doesn't time fly...  unlike my progress :(

Have suffered a hard disk crash on my web server and lost all my pictures from the car and progress over the years, so my apologies for all the blank images in the thread and blogs.  Have spoken to a recovery firm, but at prices starting from £350+vat and up to replace the hard disk hardware with a working example to get to the data I've reluctantly accepted that I've lost them all.  Thankfully all family pictures are on a different hard disk, and are backed up to the hilt.  Should have done the same for the web server, but that's hindsight.

Anyway, back to the current day.  In order to rebuilt the engine, I will have to get the head surface cleaned up for a good fit for the head gasket.  Which meant stripping it even further!

5a105c742cd87_2017-11-1813_14_59.thumb.jpg.9b740df68ba8f373c3e6fd6cd87ae460.jpg

5a105c6eb4547_2017-11-1813_14_46.thumb.jpg.35a46d30f87a97b5f53a42265fd259aa.jpg

Pleased to report that all other shells were fine, and it was just the one on cylinder 1 that had spun.  New crank from spare engine has been cleaned and crack tested.  The head will be stripped and then bottom end and head will be cleaned by Northants member Jody from JA Kits and Customs :t-up:

And then we'll be starting on the rebuild...  for real!!!

2 hours ago, Quinten Uijldert - Northants AO said:

Gosh, doesn't time fly...  unlike my progress :(

Have suffered a hard disk crash on my web server and lost all my pictures from the car and progress over the years, so my apologies for all the blank images in the thread and blogs.  Have spoken to a recovery firm, but at prices starting from £350+vat and up to replace the hard disk hardware with a working example to get to the data I've reluctantly accepted that I've lost them all.  Thankfully all family pictures are on a different hard disk, and are backed up to the hilt.  Should have done the same for the web server, but that's hindsight.

Anyway, back to the current day.  In order to rebuilt the engine, I will have to get the head surface cleaned up for a good fit for the head gasket.  Which meant stripping it even further!

5a105c742cd87_2017-11-1813_14_59.thumb.jpg.9b740df68ba8f373c3e6fd6cd87ae460.jpg

5a105c6eb4547_2017-11-1813_14_46.thumb.jpg.35a46d30f87a97b5f53a42265fd259aa.jpg

Pleased to report that all other shells were fine, and it was just the one on cylinder 1 that had spun.  New crank from spare engine has been cleaned and crack tested.  The head will be stripped and then bottom end and head will be cleaned by Northants member Jody from JA Kits and Customs :t-up:

And then we'll be starting on the rebuild...  for real!!!

Oh for old fashioned film and photos!

Sounds like you've turned a corner Q and are going in the right direction again :yes:

Nice to see you back Q. One thing to add, is to check the ovality of the big end on the spun rod, as it could cause issues if it isnt within tolerance. Other than that, are you honing the bores and fresh rings ? It would be better than running the old rings on bores after they have been removed. 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Nice one Q, can't wait to hear the outcome of the RR session! I bet it feels like a loooong time since you've enjoyed a drive out.