Broken down - Spun bearing

Quinten

I won't be looking at a crate engine for now as my engine is not standard.  According to the seller the

Engine was supplied originally by Westfield as a new crate engine (in 1998) and has Northampton Motorsport supplied & fitted cylinder head, Piper cams & vernier pulleys, ARP bolts, baffled sump, uprated valve springs and pocketed pistons.

Bummer... I would say big end bearing too, but the other suggestions about checking for particles in the oil are the way to go first IMO also :t-up:

If that 'all' that's gone, at least you can save the rest of the posh bits. Make sure you fit a new OE oil pump!

Can I ask which Zetec it is? I've got an early 1.8 silver top sitting on the floor you can have cheap if it has the right bits you need. I took it out to upgrade to a crate 2.0 blacktop over the winter and haven't got round to putting it up for sale yet. It has good oil pressure, good compression and runs nicely. Only minor issues are that its only 99.5% oil tight and it needs a special bush/bearing for the gearbox input shaft (some numpty bored the back of the crank out 1 mm over size to fit a non-standard gearbox). Alternatively you could just fit it complete while you give your other engine TLC. :d

3 hours ago, Quinten Uijldert - Northants AO said:

That's me out for the long term then.  With so many in agreement, I'm too afraid to turn the engine over risking more damage.

Am going to attempt repairing this myself though, as at the end of this month I will be out of a job, so unless I find a new job I will have no money, but plenty of free time...

Where is the dislike button :down:

Hopefully you get a new job sorted soon

2 hours ago, Quinten Uijldert - Northants AO said:

I won't be looking at a crate engine for now as my engine is not standard. 

Ah - in that case, you will be better off rebuilding, possibly putting your top end on a known good bottom end (with new oil pump and ARP's)

You could get a cheap silvertop engine and donor the rods and bottom end into your block. The main issue you will have is swarf. You will need to get that out and that involves a complete stripdown and chemical bath etc. The donor crank and rods can be checked and a gasket set and maybe a new oil pump and off you go. Not great news about jobs Quinten. Sorry to hear that. If you were closer, I would help strip it down with you and see what can be done. I am sure you wont find crate silvertop engines anywhere, unless someone has a dusty crate hidden for years.

I still dont know where the oil went. I wonder what the sump is like with baffling etc. I guess you can find out now.

5 hours ago, KennyP said:

Can I ask which Zetec it is? I've got an early 1.8 silver top sitting on the floor you can have cheap if it has the right bits you need. I took it out to upgrade to a crate 2.0 blacktop over the winter and haven't got round to putting it up for sale yet. It has good oil pressure, good compression and runs nicely. Only minor issues are that its only 99.5% oil tight and it needs a special bush/bearing for the gearbox input shaft (some numpty bored the back of the crank out 1 mm over size to fit a non-standard gearbox). Alternatively you could just fit it complete while you give your other engine TLC. :d

Pretty sure it's a 1.8 Silvertop Ken... correct @Quinten Uijldert - Northants AO ?

Yes, 1.8L Silvertop Zetec...   never thought I would say that I'm missing my Xflow now :cry:

2 hours ago, Quinten Uijldert - Northants AO said:

never thought I would say that I'm missing my Xflow now :cry:

Many years of marriage and being employed in middle, lower, lower management have taught me when to keep quiet for the greater good...

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, John K said:

Many years of marriage and being employed in middle, lower, lower management have taught me when to keep quiet for the greater good...

Evidence from your posts in here suggests otherwise! :d 

• Like 2

eBay item number:
Theres a couple on ebay for sale. I would chip in a tenner to help Quinten get on the road and sure many others would too ?
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Thrustyjust said:
eBay item number:
Theres a couple on ebay for sale. I would chip in a tenner to help Quinten get on the road and sure many others would too ?

Deffo... I've been helped by the community spirit of the forum so happy to chip in suitable wodge..!

I'll even ignore his awful taste in engines and overlook the "Raid on Medway" in 1667 to contribute