Broken down - Spun bearing

Quinten

If a big end bearing has gone, you'll need to strip it down and rebuild with new bearing shells and probably need the crank reground or replaced.

big ends often sound like they are coming from the top of the motor, but as said, use a very long screwdriver with the handle pressed against your ear to detect the location of the noise.

Fingers crossed it's something easier.

• Like 1

Think back to your journey this morning Q, particularly the last few minutes before breaking down.

Was there any heaving braking? Fast cornering?

2 minutes ago, Chris King - Webmaster and Joint North East AO said:

If a big end bearing has gone, you'll need to strip it down and rebuild with new bearing shells and probably need the crank reground or replaced.

big ends often sound like they are coming drop the top of the motor, but as said, use a very long screwdriver with the handle pressed against your ear to detect the location of the noise.

Fingers crossed it's something easier.

You may need rods as well, as a knocking shell can cause them to ovalise, so may need checking too, but a machine shop can deal with that.

• Like 1

Sorry to say but that is one damaged engine. I would suspect that the car was starting to seize up, which is why when you tried to start it the lights were dimming and it wouldn't spin over.

Push starting it got it going because there was enough geared movement to let it catch.

I wouldn't waste time stripping the sump off, that engine will have to come out so you can fix it. don't despair as everything can be fixed it is just dependant on your skill level and time.

• Like 2

It sounds like a big end has gone...a strip down of the engine would be the way forward I'm thinking...

Try taking the alternator belt off and starting the car for a few seconds see if the noise goes if not its out with the motor

Oh no.  You don't seem to have had much joy since the engine swap.  I hope it is something simple and sorted quickly.

David

Sorry to hear this, good luck getting back on the road.

You wont be short of experience and advice here...

Reluctantly have to agree that it sounds fairly terminal and a spun bearing.  Feel very bad for you indeed after all the time and effort doing the upgrade.  I too hope you can get this sorted quickly and get back to blatting.

13 hours ago, CraigHew said:

Well that sounds a lot like mine did when the battery didn't have enough juice left to turn the engine over.

Sorry Q, played your video on my phone with the sound low, didn't even hear your engine running in the background, just the clicks. Please disregard my dead battery comments, and good luck...

That's me out for the long term then.  With so many in agreement, I'm too afraid to turn the engine over risking more damage.

Am going to attempt repairing this myself though, as at the end of this month I will be out of a job, so unless I find a new job I will have no money, but plenty of free time...

That's rotten luck Q!

Hopes it's not too long before you are back up and running, I know only too well just how frustrating it is not to have the car over the Summer. 

Does sound alittle more serious than a alternator or starter motor to me but hope it's just something simple so you can get back on the road asap

If the engine is damaged and needs some  serious work doing i know that funds maybe tight but if it was me I'd fit a brand new crated motor 

7 minutes ago, Rednop1 said:

If the engine is damaged and needs some  serious work doing i know that funds maybe tight but if it was me I'd fit a brand new crated motor 

After I snapped the cam belt on my Silvertop I replaced the head and hoped the bottom end would be OK - and while it did run, it was a little smokey and not as good as it was before. 

So, basically, I spent money on head, gaskets, valve seals, oil, filter etc and then after a few hundred miles, the engine was back out and I put a crate engine in - and I wished I'd just done that the first time and saved myself some cash!

I know money will be tight - and you can pay for the parts a chunk at a time - but a repair might end up the more expensive option by the time you discover the true extent (and cost) of the damage.