Wind screen or Aero screen

Weekend Warrior

One of our lads has a full cage and fancied a screen for more comfort - he modified an existing one to be a lot taller so as to fill the cage area with a view to using a half hood over the cage.

He has now gone back to aeroscreen - not because he no longer wants a screen, but more to do with the impracticality of screen, doors, hood and full cage combo.

The MSA style half cage, with a half hood and side doors seems to be a good 'sport-touring' combo from what I have seen - but I still like the aeroscreen & helmet - especially if you get caught in a hail shower as we found out last year when the guys with screens couldn't go very fast (the pain!) once on a motorway with nowhere to stop and put the hood on! We aerosceeners could blast on through it and stayed fairly comfortable.

No doubt there's plenty of situations where roles are reversed - there's no "one size fits all" solution - but if you want a full cage, I think a screen might not be ideal (unless anyone else has experience to say otherwise?)

5 hours ago, Kevin (Mr T) - Joint Essex AO said:

Dean (DE04) is about to fit a full cage and has it in mind to be able to swap between aero and a screen/full doors/half hood combo!

I have fitted the cage and screen,had to cut the round bits on screen pillars off. They hit the cage. Just got to make doors fit,and usable.

IMG_1910.JPG

• Like 3

For anyone wanting to fit a screen and cage, if you can find a set, the early screen uprights have a much flatter wingmirror mount that doesn't foul the cage, or of course you can modify a current set!

1 minute ago, sdh2903 said:

:o

Maybe an open mouth smiley is inappropriate.......

:barf:

Ah, I remember the flying horse and cow poo issues of aerocreened, cycle winged cars well! There's nothing like that realisation that you'd left the visor of your skid lid cracked open an inch or two for ventilation...

mmm Bovril!

20 hours ago, Four Greens said:

Just something else to consider....

IMG_0238.JPG

IMG_0239.JPG

Now that's one helluva first post!

Welcome by the way!

Depends on use - for general road use and blatting around for me it would be full screen for one reason only - in the event of a bird strike when at speed at least with a full screen you have a layer of laminated glass and frame between you and the bird - imagine taking that hit full in the face with or without helmet its gonna hurt a lot - I know bird strikes don't happen often.............. but they do and have happened .............. your choice

• Like 1

On 25/05/2017 at 20:03, sdh2903 said:

You can have a screen with a full cage but I don't think you can have side screens aswell.

Best thing would probably try and get to your local meet and see if you can blag a couple of passenger rides. You'll know fairly quickly what feels right.

I have a full cage, screen and side doors.   But I had to make female parts to attach to the cage IMG_4677.thumb.PNG.43f5b3ac175fc817bc8323aa9f648ffd.PNGIMG_4461.thumb.JPG.355d17b4592e4a9f0166acce10ac31d3.JPG

1 hour ago, DamperMan said:

But I had to make female parts to attach to the cage 

I really daren't think about what you've been making, but in this instance, please don't post photos! If it's half as bad as the ahem "gear lever extensions" stuck on James May's cars during the last Grand Tour, I really don't want to see your cage with homemade "female parts" :o

• Like 2

I use a windscreen for the road and fit aero screen for the track, takes about 15mins.   Best of both worlds.

Bernie 7.JPG

I've got an aeroscreen and a cage, I wear a helmet on the road, but that's because of the cage, not the screen.

When I was aeroscreen with regular rollover bar I used to just wear ballistic sunglasses, a stone to the eye might smart a bit.

The experience between the two is surprisingly different, and I think my ears thank me for wearing the helmet.