Sport 250 - Build Manual - Tooling questions

BugMan

I have been in-touch with Simon from Westfield who has told me there is a new build manual on the way, which should time nicely for me in about 6 to 8 weeks, but just wondering what others have used in the mean time?
I have a pretty well setup double garage space, with a good set of workbenches. 

Lots of DIY tools (It’s a man thing), pillar drill, a few electric hand tools, pretty decent air compressor, good 4” Record vice, as well as quite a lot of tooling in the form of hammers and spanners etc. Have a good pair of tressels to hold the chassis up for the start.

My father in-law (well Ex father in law) has built a low-cost, so I know he has an engine hoist, although for some reason I want one for my own, air drill which he thinks was the Bee’s Knees and an air riveter all of which he will lend me.  I’ve recently fitted an air filter to my compressor, so can deliver oiled air as required.

Compressor.jpg

Air rivet gun is a must have!

also good idea to have your own hoist, used mine loads of times, though thought it would only be used once!

There was a new build manual on the way when I collected my kit in August last year........

• Like 3

Yeah don't hold your breath on the build manual, I'm still haven't seen the S2000 one!

But this forum is the best build manual you could ever have.:t-up:

• Like 2

Just now, Sycho said:

But this forum is the best build manual you could ever have.:t-up:

Amen to that!

The chassis is the same as the s2000 car so for things like wishbone, suspension, steering rack, chassis loom installation and bodywork there is loads of info on here from all the s2000 builds.

The sport 250 specifics are really eng/box/fuel line locations/engine harness/lower column/ford ecu kit/plumbing. Mark at the factory has all this info but a few drawings would be nice.

Regarding the wiring it looks a lot worse than it is. Most is plug and play it's just a case of packaging. 

Ah the air riveter. Now one of my favourite tools:love:

Build manual?  Enough said! :)

As said this forum is a great resource I am finding. The FW manual provides some basics, just treat it with caution.

As a "newbie" to car building, found reading build threads of other models (S2000 is very similar chassis wise) really informative, and enabled me to have a broad plan before I started. Mind you ther is not a definitive order for a lot of things, just think in advance.

A lot of tasks need a bit of thought, to consider interactions of various "systems". I find its good to stand back and ask myself "if I do X, can I do Y afterwards or do I need to consider both at same time?"

Building a 250, you'll be an expert in "knitting" electrics, and plumbing air and water systems by the time you finish!

One of the best suggestions I've had from this forum, is to photograph the demo car and others in the factory (particularly under the skin as it were) whenever you go there. It's surprising what you can work out from a few photos!

You'll find your air riveter is your new best friend for a while!!

Apologies for waffling on!

Best of luck, keep us posted of progress.

Having just been through this, i'd say get a 7/16 UNF tap to get the powder-coating out the wishbone threads, possibly an M10 tap too, also a decent electrical crimping tool, pipe bender and a few hole saws. Oh and some easy composites carbon fibre cutting  / sanding tools for the dash.

Plus a rivnut tool and a load leveller for the engine crane.

• Like 1

About the manual, you will get the rolling chassis manual with your kit, you can find some of the others online like the FW special but you'll often be best off reading build threads and asking questions on here, particularly for the S2000 and Sport 250 which have never had proper manuals.

Random list of tools below, some might be obvious but thought I may as well write them down:

* Stepped cone drills

* Small pipe bender (6/8/10mm)

* Caulking gun

* Right-angle drill attachment, for difficult to reach places like the tunnel

* Some black hammerite for when you accidentally damage the powdercoat

* Regular riveter, pneumatic won't fit everywhere

* Cut-off grinder for shortening bolts and stuff

* Torque wrench (probably goes without saying but no one mentioned it yet)

* Multi-packs of common washer and nut sizes. Nothing more irritating than being delayed because you're missing a simple fastener

• Like 1

Lots of GREAT stuff here, the S2000 in news, so I'll have alook at some of those builds tonight.

I'm building a shopping list, so will be adding the above to that, great tip on the  7/16 UNF tap Dave, big thanks.

Understand the frustration on the build manual, and have been planning to take Zillions of photos and posing in a build thread, as other have been doing, sis WF ever produce a build manual for the S2000?

Always been good with my hands, being an engineer at heart, so have a good bunch of the tools already, the 90Deg drill attachment will be new, so again on the list.

Nobody needs to apologise here, all contributions are VERY gratefully received. 

• Like 1

Monty and David's lists are spot on.

Found the cone drill is great on ally and fibreglass.

The is  Dremel a very versatile tool, great for turning fibreglass into dust, with either grinding or cutting.

I'm finding my workshop extract is great for fibreglass dust removal as you're cutting/grinding, plus some sort of respiratory protection. An ordinary workshop vacuum is also good for fibreglass dust, mines also been good to get rid of metal swarf, if you go the route of fitting your own panels.

Talking of panels, have found Cleko's really useful for holding panels in place whilst fitting, plus single handed clamps.

Axminster Tools sell a cheap (couple of quid(ish)) hand deburring tools which are useful on panels.

Decent quality 4.1mm and 6.5mm drill bits are a must, 3mm can be useful as a pilot in awkward areas. A few stub drills are useful with right angle drive for the same awkward places.

On top of this, you'll need some "consumables", Threadlock and Copperslip as a minimum, plus other protective options, and--------------

You'll also need a good phone signal in the garage, because unless you're exceptional, you'll have Mr Mark Waker on speed dial on your phone! I find its useful to talk with him whilst in the garage.

See, told you, the build budget doesn't stop with the kit!!

• Like 1

Black and clear silicone comes with the kit!

Thought I'd add in another thing here - I'd recommend buying a reel of brake line (car builder solutions sell it). I redid my brake lines as I wasn't happy with them, and having spare material to mock up the bends and then just copy that onto the flared pipes was much, much easier.