Type 9 Gearbox Input Shaft Length

BillyPee

I am planning to have a refurbished Type 9 gearbox delivered to a garage ready to fit rather than them taking the gearbox out and then having to order one in. The problem I have is that, without taking the gearbox out first, I don't know whether to order a long or short input shaft.

From the information I have been able to find online, it seems that I most likely have a short input shaft as the long input shaft seems to be for a V6 engine. Before I place my order, is this a reliable assumption?

Secondly, is there any way that I can double-check this without dismantling first? I assume I can measure the bell housing but I don't know what measurement would indicate long or short input shaft.

Ignore text as this was to highlight an issue I had. But the two on the right show the difference visually 

input-shafts.jpg

• Like 1

What CTD said!

Its often even apparent just looking at the bell housing, once you know what to look for, but don't rely on that, measure. (The longer shaft set ups, either have a sepperate billet spacer between the housing and the 'box, or have an extra section cast in. In the latter case, it does look almost like an add on to the original housing.

• Like 1

so if going from mt75 to type 9 its a short that's required?

6 minutes ago, John Williams - WSCC Competition Secretary said:

Usually - my first Zetec had an MT75 and went with short input.

But - you will be changing bellhousing and stick position regardless, so effectively, you can have either. Long shaft moves gearstick back 25mm or so compared to short shaft.

3 minutes ago, Chris King - Webmaster and Joint North East AO said:

Usually - my first Zetec had an MT75 and went with short input.

But - you will be changing bellhousing and stick position regardless, so effectively, you can have either. Long shaft moves gearstick back 25mm or so compared to short shaft.

Thanks Chris

remember that if you use a longer 170mm bell housing it will be closer to the bulkhead

Thanks everyone for the replies. I will measure it over the weekend.

On 5/18/2017 at 09:11, John Williams - WSCC Competition Secretary said:

Has Lee broken your gearbox as well, John?:d

• Like 1

On 18/05/2017 at 07:43, Crash test dummy said:

+/-150mm bellhousing for the short and +/-170mm for the long version.

As the bellhousing measures 17cm, it would appear that I have a long input shaft:

bell_housing_measured.jpg.2dfe17dccbe66c3355f0259eb1c37307.jpg

On 18/05/2017 at 09:01, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

What CTD said!

Its often even apparent just looking at the bell housing, once you know what to look for, but don't rely on that, measure. (The longer shaft set ups, either have a sepperate billet spacer between the housing and the 'box, or have an extra section cast in. In the latter case, it does look almost like an add on to the original housing.

I cannot see anything obvious that would suggest that something has been added (either separate or cast in) to the bellhousing:

bell_housing.jpg.d7160379cddb539e9aa53bd471b8fae2.jpg

gearbox_tunnel.thumb.jpg.d2c3bee7448705a2efc30077646ec586.jpg

Thanks everyone for your input.

As you have what looks like an original Ford housing, rather than an aftermarket version, there isn't always a spacer section, IYSWIM.

• Like 1

I have just removed a pinto with  T9 short shaft and cast ford bell housing. The bell housing measures  175mm face to face not 150mm as previously suggested.  I also have a new aluminium bell housing for T9 short shaft box which is 170mm face to face. 

Not sure how the bell housing could be 150mm as the dim from end of input shaft to gearbox face is 175mm. 

• Like 1

Don't forget that you lose the first 25mm or so of the input shaft inside the spigot bearing in the crank.

http://www.sbdev.co.uk/Gearbox/Bellhouses/Bellhouses.htm

I can't remember whether the flywhell mounting flange on the crossflow stands proud of the block face. If it does this will probably be the reason why the original Ford bellhousing is that much longer than the VX to Type 9. The flange on the VX is flush with the block face (or near enough). I'm 99% sure that you have a short input shaft box there.

Gearbox nose.jpg

• Like 1