" I HAVE RECENTLY BEEN....."For members who just want to share what they have been doing

DamperMan

Well I went out for a drive in my XKR today, with Mrs. H.

Through Ashbourne and up to the Old School tea rooms at Wetton for some lovely home-made grub for lunch, then back down through Ilam and Oakover Park towards home. Great drive and great views.

It was Julie and the Peak District  guys who showed me what a lovely place this is last month.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, GaryD1971 said:

Now that's what I call a garden bar! 

Nearly finished. Middle boards screwed down, back aching so will do the rest tomorrow when I buy the extra board for each end!

Edit: looks more uneven that it is, will finish off the front to neaten it up too. 

Edit 2 - decking deliberately brought out to meet slope in garden so as to create a smoother entry for our wheelchair bound mate  - was impossible before  

image.jpg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, GaryD1971 said:

Now that's what I call a garden bar! 

It’s a full on garden pub!

• Like 1

On 29/03/2019 at 16:50, Archibald Meatpants said:

Surely that needs converting into an underground lair?

Having spent most of the morning in it, I can say it wouldn’t be a very good lair. Pumped about 15” of water out leaving a load of sludge which we shovelled into buckets and listed out.

There was a hole in the cement lining bang on the tide line, so I’m hoping that’s why it’s leaking.

This afternoon my wife and son fixed the hole and painted the walls with tanking slurry whilst I took my daughter to a climbing lesson.

Some more pictures...

28BE4DB9-3C66-458D-A7C1-C9041D80F467.thumb.jpeg.dfb9b4b72b843cb9b94b4294fde216b8.jpegC777F2C4-80B9-4730-94FC-8CF5461B2C21.thumb.jpeg.dfc80e58aef4f7ddd80d4dbce5320ffd.jpegBFD9B7D4-EC04-410F-9663-9F3C4CBB1F51.thumb.jpeg.4dac576a2b1f262a62ea3ac42910073d.jpegBE1586DD-066C-46E9-AC97-EB6B8D56DB30.thumb.jpeg.76346783827fc68236d0bda18976bc29.jpeg

20 minutes ago, Thrustyjust said:

Be careful Nick of confined space working !!

Absolutely TJ. Some of the most dangerous and noxious gases can be odourless. I'd try and pump some fresh air in there if you are working in it for any length of time. Any tool hire place will have air movement systems with ducting to keep the air circulating. 

H&S aside, that 'kin fantastic. I'd be looking to extend it (iceberg house). I've seen plenty of "iceberg houses" and they're all brilliant because they liberate a butt-load of space but no-one knows. It could be a cinema, pool, bar, workshop, underground parking, games room or a combination. I could spend the rest of the night dreaming up stuff... :oops: 

18 hours in hospital.    cycling home from work I was thinking about what to eat whe I got home and how many beers to consume... I passed a  parked on my side of the road just before a right turn junction..    Normally I give parked cars a wide birth but not this time as  There was a van coming the other way and turning up the junction.  The parked car’s door opened and the sharp end of the door hit me mid chest and I went over the door.      it’s separated my sternum which should be held together with cartilage.  As I lay on the floor   I could feel it clunking and stuff crunching moving about in my chest as I breathed shallowly.   I could not get up and scared something in me would move badly if anyone touched me.  There was suddenly loads of people about offering blankets etc.   I’ve never had such a hit of adrenaline, sweat running into my eyes and the shakes.   Ambulance was slow but the service was excellent .   A&e dr was not going to x ray me but changed his mind.    The lower half of my sternum has dislocated and moved in towards my heart cavity.  Because the I was traveling at speed and my sternum was effectively stopped by the door there was concern about heart / surrounding tissue damage.   I was wired up and monitored for 12 hours to check my blood pressure and heart Rate remained stable.   Friday night is a colourful place in MIltonKeynes a&e!   The staff put up with so much and have security and a police person there the while time.    It’s madness that these staff have to put up with people who clearly don’t appreciate or have any respect for a life saving free service.    I’m out of hospital now.    Very stiff all over with assorted bruises sprained wrist and a new shape chest.     Not sure how long it will be I suspect serveral weeks/months before I can get in and out of a Westfield.    Also I need to avoid situations where chest impact could occur as my chest plate / sternum is compromised until it heals into its new position.

i can remember the front wheel of the bike was broken.   I sort of hope there is some proper visible damage to the carbon frame.   I’d not be confident of the bike especially the front forks after that impact.

the car I hit I bent the door,  and pushed it into the front wing.    The driver could not close the door after.

2A43F254-802D-4ECC-A45C-372A64E8F231.jpeg

• Sad 8

Ouch, wishing you a speedy recovery. Everyone should drive Westfields, no doors...

• Like 1

Rest, and recover, dreaming of the day your back in your Westfield :)

Really sorry to hear you've been hurt - I hope the recovery isn't too painful.

I'd urge anyone reading this to learn to use the 'Dutch Reach' (opposite hand) when opening car doors to help avoid these kind of accidents https://www.dutchreach.org/