Stoneleigh 2017 - Feedback and ideas thread.

Trevor Little (Trevturtle) - Treasurer

2 hours ago, Dave (OnliestSmeg) - Joint Manchester AO said:

Then use the extra space inside to create 1) 2018 'Live Upgrade' (cordoned off with explanatory signage) 

Quite a few members commented that they enjoyed seeing the spannering efforts this year - there are lots of (hopefully smaller!) examples for future years that could run in a 'controlled' area. Constantly moving ourselves and tools around was a hindrance we could avoid if pre-planned. Or we could have a 'minor repairs' or 'ask an expert' area instead for fixing niggly faults* on members cars (that often appear on the drive to the show)

*excluding Crossflow oil leaks, @Robin (Red Spider) - Yorkshire AO :d

Edited by Kit Car Electronics
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Kit Car Electronics said:

*excluding Crossflow oil leaks, @Robin (Red Spider) - Yorkshire AO :d

West could probably spend the entire weekend doing those. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Gary (KugaWestie) - North Oxfordshire AO said:

I found the shower block you mentioned Andy, and they were not great.

There were three shower cubicles and 4 communal showers in the male block, and out of that lot only one shower was capable of spraying any water over me

Ah yes, delightful aren't they :suspect:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Rory's Dad said:

I've passed this on to Andy to respond...

https://m.facebook.com/groups/128498247234680?view=permalink&id=1333268163424343

Needs nipping in the bud IMO.

Thanks for the heads up Martin - you have PM.

5 hours ago, Trevturtle said:

We'll check with the Stoneleigh organisers where the general kit car parking (If there is one) and tintop parking is located next year and add a sign to direct people.

We intend to add a roped/signed barrier at the bottom end of the pitch next year.

We used to do this and it worked, we will do this next year.

5 hours ago, CraigHew said:

FB comment seems a bit harsh but I suppose that was their reality.  Trrouble is if one or two cars are allowed then it becomes a public car park, where do you draw the line.  I'd say that we need to retain the WSCC area for our cars, especially with the numbers there on Sunday.

Indeed, nuff said.

5 hours ago, a15cro said:

Lots of sour grapes going on in that Facebook Post! Just for some balance and not to get tied up in their nonsense, Ive added a few pics on my thread of the vast numbers of Westies taking up ALL of the space on our football field sized area! :d

Just wanting to tie this up. I've seen the post as best I can as I'm not on facebook. I have no intention of getting involved.

Please, if you must respond as some already have, continue to keep it positive and it must be personal i.e. not as a WSCC member. I have no wish for this drag on and no wish for any member of any club to get excited about it. From what I saw, we spent more time moving tintops as they wrongly interpreted the security gates instructions (suspect this was why the kit cars were there too) and we also aided many others in finding their own club spots (I pointed a gent in the direction of Cobra and saw him there an hour later all smiles).

It's all good :yes:

Now back on topic...

• Like 4

Hi,

A great effort by all at Stoneleigh, and thanks to everyone involved. I've attended loads of events run by the MG Car Club, but felt much more welcome and part of this event.

Thanks to the AO's for organising the convoy run's, that gets the day off to a great start. although I was in my MG I was made welcome on the run by Matt and the others from the Bucks, Beds & Herts group, and when we arrived at the stand I was quickly directed to the 'tin top' car park near by.

I thought the badges were a great idea, it's good to put faces to names and several other members stopped me for a chat round the show, having seen the badge. How about emailing a printable badge that we can add our own info too, and just present it at the marquee for verification.

The tool roll was a nice touch and made me feel the club appreciated the members turning out. Some seats & tables to make more of a cafe area would probably have kept people around the marquee longer.

Cheers

Gary

• Like 2

I was on the hall 2 speed series stand we had a lot of peopole coming up to ask about different options of cars the in and outs of ownership , trying cars for fit , often once they got in they were hooked and thats without a ride in a westy , alot of interested owners were wary about the cars being too fast and scary to drive as owners we were able to give them our experience of westy  ownership , not only did we promote the speed series but the club the forumn and more importantly the marque 

• Like 5

It's probably already been mentioned, but roping off the perimeter and having a dedicated enterence and exit to the field could be a good idea, also maybe someone staying there to give out flyers and stickers then directing cars to the parking crew. The entrance could have a banner or something to drive through. 

Some decent signs. "Westfield Avenue " street signs and arrows etc. Don't want to tread on anyone's toes, but I've already approached an old work mate about painting some, I'll fill the team in when I see you. 

• Like 2

It's not only our car pitch but the camping pitch too. Mid morning Monday, a bloke and his partner and two children pulled onto the camping pitch and walked off. I suggested he park somewhere else and came close to getting decked for having the nerve to open my mouth. Yes there were some signs around our pitch but not all the way round...

He did move his car - after he'd had another good yell at me!

Just to add to the general suggestion that we need to act in a friendly and helpful way but also incorporate some additional measures to make it clear about 'boundries' as mentioned by Robin above.

8 hours ago, I H Freelance Services said:

I was on the hall 2 speed series stand we had a lot of peopole coming up to ask about different options of cars the in and outs of ownership , trying cars for fit , often once they got in they were hooked and thats without a ride in a westy , alot of interested owners were wary about the cars being too fast and scary to drive as owners we were able to give them our experience of westy  ownership 

'The ins and outs of ownership etc......A really good point.

Perhaps we should have  named stand/table/discussion point in the marquee titled  'tips for thinking about buying a second hand Westfield ' ...if people show sufficient interest we could offer them a ride ....if we can fix any insurance issues?

See post from @Gordonwilly Here. If Dean (aka gordonwilly)  was at the show and we had something like a discussion point we could have answered many  of Dean's questions about ownership and buying.

Dean probably attended the show and we may have answered a few questions.... but we may be missing an opportunity to help potential  new owners through the

• 1. Can I have a sit in a car....... most people will not ask..just offering a 'try sitting in a car' may initiate conversation with people that may otherwise just walk through the marquee.
  • 2. Do I want a Westfield,
  • 2. What Westfield  do I want and how much  
  • 3. How do i buy the right Westfield 

Thanks for the feedback above.. this seems obvious.. but I wouldn't  of thought of it without the above post

@Gordonwilly... please feel free to respond to this.....  you are at this point now,  your thoughts and feedback would be invaluable ..thanks

• Like 3

I think it is a great idea. unfortunately I didn't make the show, but if there had been a dedicated 'help point' it would have been a perfect place to start the search.

I'd be happy to help develop this and use my current position as a way of documenting the journey into ownership. Its quite daunting at the start...I have been a long term Land Rover owner and now know what is good and bad, what they costs to buy, what vehicles are good value, what its like to own one etc, etc. But I'm a complete novice at Westfield's, so without help and direction am likely to make a mistake. I can't believe how helpful the club is and that attitude could easily be leveraged to produce a good platform for potential/new purchasers.

Not only having a stand at the shows (as suggested above is a great idea), but also having a part of the website that can help with the questions and answers.

Perhaps access to a list of people around the country who are willing to talk to potential buyers, show them their cars (I have already been offered a ride in someone's V8, and been invited to a trackday).

My initial post all centred around what to buy and what is a good price. I started off looking at in essence a 200bhp 2 litre road legal track car, and then last week tried to buy another 2 litre car off the WSCC cars for sale.

Now I'm thinking a softer well-sorted V8 would be more practical (if you can call a Westfield practical). But as many have said, sitting in them, actually being a passenger in the different ones will make a big difference

Hope this helps...

Dean

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Rory's Dad said:

Such a good idea!

Agreed. If such a beginner's guide does get produced it would sit very well with both the start  line and FAQs forums and the new website.

Mark Jackson, (I think, wrote an excellent buyers guide in the FAQ some years ago, I'll look the link up in a mo).

It could form a good launchpad, fact wise, for something at the show?

I'm really happy to say though a list of members happy to give passenfpger rides would be really difficult, however a list of members who wouldn't give rides is probably nice and small and easily updated [/tongue_in_cheek]

Seriously though, don't think I've heard anyone turned down for a PAX opportunity yet, at least, not so long as the car actually has a passenger seat!

It might, we'll have to check, be tricky to offer any form of meaningful PAX experiences at Stoneleigh, but what about having the old Area map board out, with someone manning it, where anyone looking for such rides could find their nearest area, leave a name, contact number and rough type of Westfield interested in, and then at the end of the show, we could pass the details out to the AO's who could match PAX seats up with their local members...

(Keep in mind, Club liability insurance covers static displays of members cars only.) Anything else would need investigation...

Vehicle movements are covered on members own RTA insurance. Demo runs at a show might fall in to a grey area, usage wise, in a way that taking someone round the block at an area meet wouldn't.