Build complete

So I think I have finished my build! It has taken 1 year 4 months since I bought the Mazda. 

Can anyone see anything glaringly obvious that looks like an IVA fail? 

I am chancing it with the front indicators, is this a bad move? 

Steering wheel pad not fitted yet.

Any advice would be appreciated 

IMG_4678.JPG

IMG_4679.JPG

IMG_4680.JPG

IMG_4682.JPG

IMG_4683.JPG

IMG_4684.JPG

IMG_4685.JPG

IMG_4687.JPG

• Like 7
Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AO

Looking. Good. I IVA'd without the aeroscreen. I believe it can causes issues at IVA.

Chris King - Webmaster

The indicators are "technically" a fail.  But others have passed. 

I believe that if the car is of a good standard then most experienced testers will overlook it. But that's just my opinion. 

If you have a new inspector then he will probably go "by the book". 

Kit Car Electronics

This has to be the shortest build thread ever, I feel like I just turned to the back page of the book :d

• Like 2
Steve (sdh2903)

Indicators are borderline for angles of visibility. I've checked mine with the tape measure and if I squint with one eye they fail. If I squint the other they pass. One thing to help is to fit the headlight brackets the wrong way round as it moves the indicators 20-30mm further forwards and increases visibility slightly. That's the way they are on mine and have iva Tuesday so we'll just have to see.

Looks a very nice tidy build well done.:yes:

Steve (sdh2903)

Aeroscreen was no issue on my last car's  Iva. Just edge trim around it and make sure the leading edge is protruding less than 5mm so that the edges only have to be blunted rather than have a 2.5mm radius.

Only other potential issue that jumps out at me is the lack of padding on the steering wheel.

Steve (sdh2903)

Ignore last line. Just read you hadn't fitted it:rolleyes:

Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary

No fog light?

No rear retro reflectors?

Petrol cap edge radius? (Don't recognise the cap style, so not sure if compliant or not)

how about any edges on and around the rear view mirror mount? (Can't see clearly enough to make it out)

What are the bits of tape(?) on the top of the boot box. You may, with an awkward assessor be asked to remove things like that, so he can asses what's underneath. If it's a cover that then can't be refitted, or is destroyed removing it, they can sometimes then consider the exposed part a fail.

- Assesors are "supposed" these days to look for solutions to edge issues, radii etc being done in a way similar to how a main stream manufacturer would do it. Ironically, as makers use lots of tapes and things for mounting purposes, many inspectors don't like it. 

You have no internal cockpit sides, I submitted my first car for SVA, as it was then, and the assessor failed the return edges of the grp sides for radii. Quickly solved with some rubber edging, which he was perfectly happy with. Like watch, watch any chassis tubes, bolts and brackets don't have radii issues, that would have normally been hidden by trim.

i can't see in the footwells, but what are the edges where the scuttle sits on the tub like? Again, on a car with internal trim, there's a vinyl covered aluminium panel that fits on over this join line so he can't get his sphere on it!!

I'd not come across it before, but I think it might have been @finkangel that had an inspector pull him up on the edges of the hex section of the lambda probe in the exhaust, again it was a radii thing, I seem to remember Stu filed the edges down a bit, to pass.

The loom on the O/S headlamp looks a bit loose and could do with securing, is it protected?

I don't know if it's still the case, but a few years back at least, the inspectors also liked to see the brake (flexi) lines protected in the plastic split tubing.

Sorry, to be throwing a whole list out by the way, it's a lovely looking Westfield!

Stu Faulkner
30 minutes ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - WSCC AO Rep said:

I'd not come across it before, but I think it might have been @finkangel that had an inspector pull him up on the edges of the hex section of the lambda probe in the exhaust, again it was a radii thing, I seem to remember Stu filed the edges down a bit, to pass.

Yes you''re correct Dave.

I had a younger inspector that went by the book so if you get one there isn't any common sense only the letter of the a so its radius checks on everything on the front, sides and interior.

The list is needed! I've submitted the paper work so just waiting to get a date sorted. 

Will be going to Aberdeen for the test. Hope they are feeling lenient!

The fog light is a dual reverse and fog e4 marked.

got the retro reflectors to put on still 

petrol cap is from kitspares and says its compliant, edges are well rounded off, flap on the inside and key stays in cap. 

will put some trim over the rear view mirror mount. It's the mirror from the Mazda e2 marked. Couldn't find a new mirror I liked that was Iva compliant 

the tape on the sides of the boot are actually carbon fibre strips to help tidy up the cutting job I did on the boot. That thing was a nightmare to fit with the roll cage 

will finish the sides of the GRP in the interior with some foam tape and see if I can spot any other bits

Will also go wild round the outside with the rubber edging and cover the flexi pipe with plastic tube

cheers for the list. I will be taking a lot of extra trim parts and tools when I go. 

Chris King - Webmaster

Can't tell from pics but check harness straps are level with seat cut outs. If they are seen to pull down on seats it's a fail (I believe). So might need spacers.

looks nice :t-up:

KugaWestie

Have you tethered the fuel cap?

Steve (sdh2903)
2 minutes ago, Gary (KugaWestie) - North Oxfordshire AO said:

Have you tethered the fuel cap?

Don't need to if the key can't be removed.

Some of that engine bay layout looks very familiar :d