File size restrictions

Steve (sdh2903)

When I'm updating my build diary in tech talk I'm noticing that my limits for file sizing are getting smaller and smaller. I have reduced the pic sizes on my phone now and used a resizer app to compress further but the limits are still decreasing I'm down to 5mb now as below. I used to see 30 odd mb. Is this an issue or am I just using up my quota?

Screenshot_20170408-193635.thumb.png.56e2240dfc0354cd0ddbcc690a5134ef.png

I'll have a look (not immediately mind) but there will be a limit. Can't recall what it is off the top of my head but sure it was fairly generous. 

Right then - here's the sketch.

We give every member 50mb of space to upload attachments - the system automatically resizes images down to max 1600 x 1200px and saves as a jpg at 80% quality setting (if you upload a jpg that is).

This tends to save files at around 150kb to 250kb each, thus giving everyone space for some 2-300 images (in theory).

However, if you upload PNGs they tend to be larger.

We can look at upping this limit - it was fairly arbitrary to be honest - but obviously can't have a totally unlimited amount.

I must admit it looks 'generous' in the settings as it says 50,000 - but that's kb!

Thanks Chris. Most of my pics have been off my phone which as far as I can see saves them as jpg. If I were to upload a picture taken on my phone it takes away the full file size. So a 3mb picture would take 3mb off the allowance. So in my case the pictures aren't being compressed when uploaded.

Not a big issue mind as the compressor app seems to be working ok.

I uploaded one today directly via my phone camera and it was only a 100k or so - not sure why you are getting 3mb files?

My phone software updated last week and noticed the pic size had jumped up to its max on the camera. Even on the lowest setting my camera pics are around 1mb. So when I'm uploading the forum doesn't seem to be compressing the files?

Ok will do some tests and see what the sketch is. I will also ask t'comittee about uppIng the allowance. 

Images should be resized so it that doesn't appear to be the case that's odd.

We have just moved all our photos to an Amazon S3 account and upped our member allowance from 100mb to 200mb for this sort of reason. We do use 2400x2400px however so it gets used faster.

Early days but setup was supprisingly easy and cost seems very affordable.

Daniel