Sign in to follow this  
pearman00

Hello Xl owners

pearman00

Just saying Hello as looking to maybe building an X1 (been thinking about it for 4/5 years now and being a Lotus fan/owner the time is now),

but would like to see a few in the flesh if that is possible before I start to build one.

I'm base in South Yorkshire if there is any meets or anyone is around that area  with an X1 that I could come and see it would be appreciated.

I'm also planing on going to Stoneleigh  to see any X1 there as well.

Thanks for reading

Tony 

Edited by pearman00

Simon Marks - North Oxfordshire AO

Hi, Tony,

Welcome aboard!  I'll be at Stoneleigh and my Eleven will be in the WSCC Marquee on both days.  Please look me out and  we can chat.  I look forward to meeting you there.

Simon

• Like 1

pearman00
18 hours ago, Sunbeam Lotus said:

Hi, Tony,

Welcome aboard!  I'll be at Stoneleigh and my Eleven will be in the WSCC Marquee on both days.  Please look me out and  we can chat.  I look forward to meeting you there.

Simon

Thanks for your reply Simon looking forward to seeing your car at Stoneleigh have you had it long and did you build it yourself ?

Cheers Tony

Hi, Tony,

I did build it myself and it went through IVA last Autumn, sorted a few bits over this last Winter and it is now well on the way to being run in as I work through a small list of final upgrades.

See you at Stoneleigh.

Simon

• Like 1

robhume

Hi Tony,

When you see Simon's car at Stoneleigh, I'm sure you will be completely convinced to

embark on the journey of building an eleven.

My comment would be to treat the "kit" as a jigsaw, all the pieces should be there but

some  may be missing.

I tried as much as I could, to ensure that there would be a full kit to collect, before I parted with any cash.

Having said all that, the car is just super and draws positive comments from the most die hard race car builders,

despite the fact that that my car is only rolling at the moment.

My build is a bit different to Simon's and Stephen's, but will still be a beautiful car.

I have to admit, I have sat in it and have made appropriate engine noises, roll on finishing it.

Let us all know what you think after seeing Simon's car.

• Like 1

pearman00

I hope you are right about when I see Simon car Rob (I'm sure I've made my mind up ready and I'm just going through the process :)) as in the photo on here

it looks fantastic, do you have a build thread for it Simon ?

Rob I've been reading your thread with interest as you are building it for sprinting as it something I will be looking at doing with mine

Have you been sprinting for long ?   I done two round with WSCC at Blyton park in my Elise back in 2015 but that's another story.

Looking forward to seeing more progress on your build.

Tony 

Hi, Tony,

I hope that your expectations are not being built up too high! 

I didn't make a build thread - I have joined in more since I built my car and have experience that, hopefully, will be of use to others.

Simon

pearman00

First of all sorry it's taken a bit for me to get back with some feedback from Stoneleigh as you all know life just take's over some time's.

I would like to thank Simon (Sunbeam Lotus) for spending so much time and enthusiasm talking to me and Fiona about the Xl 

as well as answering 101 questions that I asked him what a great chap, he even let me and Fiona sit in his car thank you for that Simon :d

Rob you were 100% right about me seeing Simon car and on the Sunday before leaving the show I went and put my order in for my Xl

and if it goes wrong it's all down to Simon ;) 

We went down to the factory yesterday to go over the build and option Now that put my mind in to overtime so much so that on our way back

we stopped off for some lunch for about an hour or so only to come back to the car with a flat battery because I left the lights on (been raining).

So the journey has begun and I've still got to found a donor car yet ???

Simon how are you getting on with your ROPS ?

• Like 1

jonjh1964

Tony,

Congratulations on ordering the kit; all being well I should be picking up mine on Thursday. I was at the factory just before Stoneleigh dropping off the rear axle and steering column lower coupling for modification and there was a small pile of my parts siting on a trolley - hopefully it was a lost bigger pile when you were there yesterday!

I bought my 1974 Midget donor in February, it was less than £1k and was found on Gumtree by another Dorset WSCC member. I've spent around £2k+ getting the engine overhauled/upgraded, another £1.5k on replacement/exchange parts, bearings, seals etc for the donor items,Type 9 + long 1st kit and have budgeted another £1k+ for wheels/tyres/steering wheel/tonneau/mirrors.  Moss Europe (Bradford is probably the branch nearest to you) and the MGOC (Cambridge) supply virtually every Midget spare you'll need (watch out for the P&P charges though).  I still haven't worked out whether I'd have been better off spending more to buy a running donor but I wanted to overhaul all the donor parts and uprate the engine anyway so going for a <£1k non-runner hasn't turned out to be a bad option so far and it's amazing how a good wire brushing and some satin black transforms 40+ year old encrusted parts.

Jon

Hi, Tony,

No further forward with the ROPS.  I'll give the man (another) chase today to see if I can convince him to bend up my tubes.  Once I have them, I have discovered that a proprietor of a welding company lives in our village so I'll see if he can do a quick turn round on welding the joints (I propose to tack everything in place).  Powder coating should not be an issue either.

Updating at 10.45hrs: Andy Robinson is waiting for my 35mm diameter tube to be delivered from the States.  He has been promised it for this week and, in turn, undertakes to bend it up as soon as it arrives.  He says he can't forget as he keeps tripping over my wooden mock-up!  Fingers crossed.

Simon

pearman00
On 2017-5-21 at 09:57, jonjh1964 said:

Tony,

Congratulations on ordering the kit; all being well I should be picking up mine on Thursday. I was at the factory just before Stoneleigh dropping off the rear axle and steering column lower coupling for modification and there was a small pile of my parts siting on a trolley - hopefully it was a lost bigger pile when you were there yesterday!

I bought my 1974 Midget donor in February, it was less than £1k and was found on Gumtree by another Dorset WSCC member. I've spent around £2k+ getting the engine overhauled/upgraded, another £1.5k on replacement/exchange parts, bearings, seals etc for the donor items,Type 9 + long 1st kit and have budgeted another £1k+ for wheels/tyres/steering wheel/tonneau/mirrors.  Moss Europe (Bradford is probably the branch nearest to you) and the MGOC (Cambridge) supply virtually every Midget spare you'll need (watch out for the P&P charges though).  I still haven't worked out whether I'd have been better off spending more to buy a running donor but I wanted to overhaul all the donor parts and uprate the engine anyway so going for a <£1k non-runner hasn't turned out to be a bad option so far and it's amazing how a good wire brushing and some satin black transforms 40+ year old encrusted parts.

Jon

I see what you mean by what to do about a donor as I have been going backwards and forwards on what to do here as I want a dateless registration and wire wheels, but don't want the 1098 engine. So I have decided to look for any midget that is complete other than any holes in the body and after trawling the internet for about 2 months and seeing the prices just rising and rising, well that the way it seems when you are looking to buy one.

Well I have finally found one that's not silly money but with steel wheels, it's been owned by the same person since 1984 and last on the road in 1991 but the engine number doesn't match the engine number on the log book.

The owner has told me this is the engine was in the car when he bought the car so I have asked him if he could write letter stating this as I will want an age-related number plate. Does anyone on here see a problem with me doing this and still getting an age-related plate ?

As for it not having wire wheels on this car e-bay has been my friend and last night I went on a 200 mile round trip to pick up a complete wire wheel front/rear axle :-)

John I think it may have been your car we see being finished off when we were there, Fiona took a photo of it being worked on (I can send send you a copy).

Look like I'm going have learn how post up photo's :-)

Tony

jonjh1964
28 minutes ago, pearman00 said:

John I think it may have been your car we see being finished off when we were there, Fiona took a photo of it being worked on (I can send send you a copy).

Tony

Tony,

i picked up the kit kit a couple of weeks ago and it was complete - photo below

To add a photo you can drag and drop it into the area at the bottom of a post

IMG_1220.JPG

• Like 1

Hi, Tony,

My Midget's engine number did not match the logbook either so, when the new logbook appeared in the post in my name, I filled in the engine details and sent it back to the DVLA for updating.  This was swiftly done and returned and, once the Westfield was complete, I sent this logbook off with my IVA Pass sheet and other paperwork.  I got my age related plate.  I am now, of course, entitled to change this for a dateless registration (when I get offered a cheap one)!

I also took photos of the donor car's chassis plate and engine ID plate before I took it apart in case anyone asked - which they never did.

As an aside, MiniMail (www.minimail.co.uk - 07000 850 1275) can supply a replacement engine ID plate and hammer in fixings if you need one to make your engine look nice at the end of it all.  My engine number ID was in the form of an araldited on label (it was a reconditioned unit) which, of course, came adrift as the engine was cleaned up and uprated.

Simon

• Like 2

pearman00

Thanks a lot for your post Simon that has given me peace of mind :d I've now got got a 550 mile round trip to pick the car on Saturday which should be fun with trailer, But looking forward to getting my donor.......

Have you done anymore to yours Simon ?

Jon will post the photo tonight, I've have really been enjoying your build thread and anxiously waiting for more updates  :)

Tony

Hi, Tony,

Other than moving my fuel pump (as you have seen on the specific thread), I have done nothing else to the Eleven.  I took last week off work but had a host of jobs to do on my other cars, partly as I am getting into my "MOT season".  I have just called the company that are to be bending the tubes for my roll hoop and they have just got the (35mm diameter) tube and it is, apparently, the next job for their mandrel bender.  Fingers crossed that doesn't take them long.  I will then look out the welder that apparently lives in our village to see if I can get that element of the hoop build finished in a more timely manner!

Picking up  my donor Midget (from Glasgow) turned into a 950 mile round trip three years ago (as I had already arranged to take my Lotus Sunbeam to Carmarthen to have power steering fitted).  I did this over a weekend with a night out visiting friends and family in Dumfriesshire.  There's no shame in a bit of trailering!

Simon

• Like 1