Cheshire & N. Staffs Monthly meet, Thursday 6th April

Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Chairman

Just a reminder, it's the regular monthly meet this Thursday at the Whipping Stocks, usual time, about 7.30pm

Hopefully the nice weather will continue and we'll see a few Westfields.

• Like 2

Going to miss this one (birthday treats!), enjoy the meet

Andy

• Like 1

I'll be there!

• Like 1

Car failed the mot yesterday on my led lights. They seem to be constructed wrong. The base plates work fine with normal bulbs but with led they shine so bright with side lights that the  brake lights then don't make them brighter on the double filament. Testing them again today to see how many led illuminate.  Ian did yours pass as we have the same bulbs I think?.

Might not make it due to swmbo and also the car is not starting either after its mot...... stuck in Stoke on trent.

Hi Jon, Sorry to hear this. I've got different LED rear lights than you. Mine are the factory provided items for the FW rear. I've upload pics of my rear light(the round item to the right of the light is a reflector only)  with the brake on and another of the same type of light on @lloydox's car with the side lights on (Note Phil has replaced the reflector with another side/brake light) . As you can see there is a noticeable difference between side light and brake light. 

Look on the bright side (pun definately intended), at least no ones rear ended you!

Do you recall a difference in brightness when testing when you originally fitted them? I trust you bough just LED bulbs and not complete light assemblies. I recall you having fun with the housings to get them to fit? Do you know what bulb part number you require? e.g. SBC BAZ15d. See chart below for guidance.

Does your username now need to change to 5+1 CarJon ?

lucas-bulb-wallchart.pdf

IMG_3245.JPG

Phil side lights.jpg

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, IanK said:

Does your username now need to change to 5+1 CarJon ?

Harsh.......but good.....:yes:

• Like 2

Oh dear, refresh my memory; are you using traditional rectangular lighting blocks, with led bulb replacements in?

• Like 1

I think he is Dave! 

Yes I am and thanks for the chart. Going to check my order details tomorrow.

Car now starts and mot passed.

Cheers and will add more tomorrow

Jon

Ps both filaments light all leds

• Like 2

Think I ordered the wrong bulb - 380 Twenty20 92 LED 12V P21/5W Canbus Bayonet Bulb

I presume canbus means it needs something better than a Westie wiring loom to drive it ?

Will be checking carefully before any other orders.....

A lot of bulbs are marked Canbus or Canbus safe, nowadays. Most usually work fine in older fashioned set ups too, they jyust don't throw error messages up in modern interlinked ecu type cars, where a body control module monitors lamps etc.

As Dave says canbus is a communication protocol not used on most Westies. You will be fine with canbus or non canbus ones. The comms are only used to report bulb failure and not control of lamp function. The non canbus should be cheaper.

I assume you put non led ones in for a pass?

Yes scary though it seems it is  better with £1 clear bulbs spray painted red than with the led superbright.

I totally understand the law and  will get some correct led ones soon as I can work how I ordered the wrong ones.

• Like 1

Just grabbed a quick half an hour or so to re-adjust my headlights so they're not quite doing AWACS search light duty anymore, and give the car a quick vac out. :db-westy:

• Like 1