7Fan7

Hi everyone,

I'm a university student, currently working on a project with regards to the use of carbon fibre in kit cars such as the Westfields. Essentially, we are working with Axon Automotive on a passenger tub, where the passenger and the driver are seated, made entirely of carbon fibre (including the beams, the flooring and the side panels); whereas, the front and back of the chassis remain with the original steel frame chassis. So the method used to join the steel frame to the carbon fibre tub is through nuts and bolts. I'm currently conducting a survey just to determine your perception on the use of carbon fibre in kit cars, especially for the tub. More information about the product itself is available in the survey link below and I'd really appreciate if you could take a couple of minutes to answer the survey.

All responses will be stored anonymously and I really hope that I can get a great number of responses from you all. Click here for the Survey.

Cheers,

Will

AdamR

Done :t-up:

Dave (OnliestSmeg) -  Manchester AO
5 minutes ago, AdamR said:

Snap!

Mark (smokey mow)

Ditto :p

KugaWestie

Done

Peter (Monty)

Interesting product. The Formula Student car in my avatar was a hybrid chassis with front carbon monocoque and rear steel spaceframe, bolted together. Huge benefit in torsional stiffness and weight whilst avoiding the issues of mounting an engine to a carbon structure...

• Like 1

7Fan7
24 minutes ago, AdamR said:

18 minutes ago, Dave (OnliestSmeg) - Joint Manchester AO said:

Snap!

14 minutes ago, Mark Wendon (smokey mow) - WSCC Club Secretary said:

Ditto :p

7 minutes ago, Gary (KugaWestie) - North Oxfordshire AO said:

Done

If I promised a beer for every response, I'd probably be bankrupt by now hahah.

Cheers guys and thanks a lot for the information! If you could pull in more of your friends to answer the survey, that would be great!

Regards,

7Fan7

Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary

Done, but oddly I couldn't tick the box to say I'd seen the cf tub before, so ended up with maybe instead. (Safari browser on IPad Pro)

CraigHew

done

7Fan7
34 minutes ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - WSCC AO Rep said:

Done, but oddly I couldn't tick the box to say I'd seen the cf tub before, so ended up with maybe instead. (Safari browser on IPad Pro)

Hi Dave,

Thanks for your feedback. I'm sorry that the form was unresponsive; must have been a glitch. Really appreciate the help.

Cheers,

Will

7Fan7
5 minutes ago, CraigHew said:

done

Thanks! I'd appreciate if you could spread the link to your friends as well. I'm trying to get as much responses as I can.

Cheers,

Will

7Fan7
1 hour ago, Monty said:

Interesting product. The Formula Student car in my avatar was a hybrid chassis with front carbon monocoque and rear steel spaceframe, bolted together. Huge benefit in torsional stiffness and weight whilst avoiding the issues of mounting an engine to a carbon structure...

Now that is very interesting indeed! It sounds like we are using a similar concept. Huge benefit on torsional stiffness, on the carbon fibre bit but the joints themselves are rather prone to torsion; in fact, they could be the weakest point of the entire car. The FEA analysis however suggests that it is sufficiently strong, up to a safety factor of 3 for regular forces applied.

Cheers!

Steve (sdh2903)

Done.:yes:

Davemk1

I responded.....there was no option for noting my location in the USA so I just put England.

dave

Simon Marks - North Oxfordshire AO

Done - as honestly as possible.  A tub for an Eleven ought to be possible, I suppose?  :yes:

Dave, don't worry about the States - positioning Oxford was a struggle.  I think I'm right on the line between South East and South West but erred for the former for reasons of accent  :d