0-60 timer

shrops-paul

Hi. 

Not really been an issue but on telly Ed from wheeler dealers was using an app on his phone to gauge a 0-60 time if a car and it got me wondering about trying the same for the Westfield, just for curiosity. 

Anyone tried such an app?

Hi Paul

I bought the app called Harry's lap timer

As the iphone GPS only refreshes every 1 sec you can be quite a bit out. Because of this I then bought an external GPS which refreshes 10 times a second

It all seems to work well, I bought it primarily for comparison on track days but it would work well as a 0 to 60 timer

Shout if I can help any further

Ian 

You can also buy a gps driven speedometer that fits in the car, most version have a 0-60 timer built in.

6 hours ago, ianht71 said:

Hi Paul

I bought the app called Harry's lap timer

As the iphone GPS only refreshes every 1 sec you can be quite a bit out. Because of this I then bought an external GPS which refreshes 10 times a second

It all seems to work well, I bought it primarily for comparison on track days but it would work well as a 0 to 60 timer

Shout if I can help any further

Ian 

Ian, do you have any details of the external GPS that you bought please?

The standard speedo gauge which the factory supplies (VDO?) has a 0-60 function built in. I've never tried mine though.

It also has a top speed recorder... mine had a glitch as it once showed I had done 148mph :o

I just count slowly 0-60 in about 4 seconds I recon 

• Like 2

Try in car video/phone video, that shows both rev counter and speedo.  From the revs dipping to 60 mph can be seen, but really needs an app that will count the frames.

There are gadgets that stick to the windscreen that will do it too

Hi Paul

I started with the Garmin Glo, this didn't work with the app and iPhone so I returned it. This coincided with Amazon putting a warning on this product stating it wasn't compatible with iPhone. This appears to have gone now. I returned it for a refund

in its place I bought a Dual XGPS 160, more expensive but it does work perfectly. Have it under the dash next to my ECU, still manages to work even though it can't see the sky. 

Ian

1 hour ago, ianht71 said:

Hi Paul

I started with the Garmin Glo, this didn't work with the app and iPhone so I returned it. This coincided with Amazon putting a warning on this product stating it wasn't compatible with iPhone. This appears to have gone now. I returned it for a refund

in its place I bought a Dual XGPS 160, more expensive but it does work perfectly. Have it under the dash next to my ECU, still manages to work even though it can't see the sky. 

Ian

Wow, that's a lot of beans! https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dual-Electronics-Corp-GPS-1020-XGPS160/dp/B00E65TNYE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1489170378&sr=8-1&keywords=SkyPro+XGPS160+GPS+Receiver but good to hear you're happy with it!

Thanks guys. I was just after tough idea out of curiosity. I'll try a phone app for now. Not sure I want to invest in a proper tool. 

Maybe be we can have a group 0-60 timing session at stoneleigh :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chriss1455 said:

http://www.060calculator.com

Not sure if this will do for a rough idea bit It seems to be only 0.200 of a second out for my tin top using whatever calculations they use

Wow

That calculator puts my Westy at a 0-60 in under 2.5 seconds :oops:

14 hours ago, chriss1455 said:

http://www.060calculator.com

Not sure if this will do for a rough idea bit It seems to be only 0.200 of a second out for my tin top using whatever calculations they use

Interesting. It's almost exactly spot on with the 'book' time for my Impreza WRX Prodrive (5.1 secs, not that I've ever tried it). Reckons 4.2 seconds for my relatively lardy 660kgs (with driver), 160bhp westy.

With my trusty MT75 box I don't see 60 till 3rd gear, so I'm not expecting any spectacular times. I used an app on my phone and t claimed 8 seconds although I was just trying the app rather than really going for it.