Steve (sdh2903)

Aim mxs info thread

Chris King - Webmaster
2 hours ago, deadscoob said:

After playing around with this a bit I am disappointed that you're forced to use analogue inputs for the warning lights, and with only 4, it leaves it hard to get everything you may need in one place without having to spend on the switch input module. They should just charge £900 for the display and include that imo, I've had no choice but to fork out for it.

Price adds up quick when you need that, a remote button interface, data bridge, gps module etc. Doesn't take it far away from the full fat mxs which has gps as standard, 8 analogue inputs etc. 

I got my ECU to read in most of the analogues - Oil pressure, oil temp, water temp, air temp etc and then used CAN to feed the dash. That way I had analogues free for fuel, indicators, high beam. So still have one left over unused.

Warning lights for oil and water are triggered via settings and fed by CAN, so no need to use the analogues for that.

Deanspoors

Chris, 

what did you decide to do about the other warning signals, handbrake, and fog light. I'm wondering whether it's a better idea to get a warning cluster rather than use the AI's for the dash. 

Dean

Chris King - Webmaster

Handbrake and fog light are done with savage switches IMG_1207.JPG

deadscoob

Thank you VERY much for that info Chris, much appreciated, I'll have a play over the next few days :yes:

i do need the switch module as I have no other warning lights, have tried to keep the interior simple and the old dash I just had them in the bezel and without a lot of hassle I need to try and have them all in the dash.

IMG_9563.JPG

Chris King - Webmaster

Got to admit only four inputs unless you pay a lot more is a rip off. 

Chris King - Webmaster

After a lot of filling up and checking values, then recalibration of the input table my fuel readings are actually really accurate now. Way more than it ever was with the analogue gauge.

Only gets a little "iffy" on the very odd occasion when down to 5-6 litres left - but by then I'd have been hunting for a fuel stop for the last 20 miles anyway!

gee_fin

New firmware and data screen in latest update.

Really do wish they'd either open a full display editor or create more screens though...

21368827_10154881244425823_6387357258797215438_o.jpg

Chris King - Webmaster

Indeed, the new screen is all very informative and ideal for when you have it on a dyno, but chuffing useless while actually driving!

I will work on an editor that will create the configs - but it won't be too easy, so don't hold your breath!

• Like 1

deadscoob

Am struggling with the indicators a little.

Hazard on seems to be ok, left and right indicators when on are way too fast and you can hear it speeding up the longer it's on lol. Have added a diode to each feed before joining together, so not sure what's going on.

Have tested with a simple 12v warning light before trying to connect to the dash...

cheers

deadscoob

PS - bought one of these bezels from the US. Not cheap but is nicely made and provides a nice finish of you want the dash flush:

IMG_8869.JPG

• Like 1

Chris King - Webmaster
1 hour ago, deadscoob said:

Am struggling with the indicators a little.

Hazard on seems to be ok, left and right indicators when on are way too fast and you can hear it speeding up the longer it's on lol. Have added a diode to each feed before joining together, so not sure what's going on.

Have tested with a simple 12v warning light before trying to connect to the dash...

cheers

What flasher unit? You will be better off using one designed for mixed led and std bulbs if you are seeing quick flashing. 

deadscoob

It's whatever is in the standard loom. Worked fine before :)

Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary

Yes, but what indicator bulbs on the dashboard did you have?

Fast flashing is normally caused by insufficient load on an old style flasher relay. It's possible if you had one that was only just marginal on your previous set up the small load change you've introduced is enough to tip it over the edge.

deadscoob

Gotcha.

Old dash had 1 of these for left, 1 for right

https://www.carbuildersolutions.com/uk/led-black-bezel-warning-light-indicator-single-arrow-green

Im testing all is ok with something older like this:

https://www.carbuildersolutions.com/uk/small-black-bezel-warning-light-amber

i thought if anything it would slow down as it's a traditional 12v warning light compared to LED.