Steve (sdh2903)

Aim mxs info thread

Deanspoors

Any updates from anyone since the last post? I've just purchased one through Luke at Playskool, although I haven't actually seen it yet as I'm in the middle of the Okhotsk sea, I am looking forward to playing around with the screens and getting it set up. 

Steve (sdh2903)

I've just got mine now to a state where I'm reasonably happy and all is working well. I've been in contact with Aim regarding removing the GPS message on the lower info bar and I also pressed them for a bit more freedom around customisation and they were supposedly working on it.

Deanspoors
1 hour ago, sdh2903 said:

I've just got mine now to a state where I'm reasonably happy and all is working well. I've been in contact with Aim regarding removing the GPS message on the lower info bar and I also pressed them for a bit more freedom around customisation and they were supposedly working on it.

Let me know how that goes, sounds like it would be beneficial to me too.

Chris King - Webmaster

I've customised mine a fair bit. If you get along to a meet @Deanspoors I can bring my laptop and load in some more road friendly config files for you. 

Will do more over winter but for now it's all good to go so just enjoying the car!

Chris King - Webmaster

IMG_1235.JPG

example with large MPH readout

deadscoob

Hi All,

Not been on here for a very long time but seems quite a few of you have mxs displays and am hoping for a pointer, probably for something really simple.

I have the street icons dash,  previous display had left and right indicator warning lights - has anyone changed to an mxs dash with the same setup us above? If so, did you simply combine the left and right indicators into a single feed into an analogue channel?

Cheers in advance :)

Deanspoors

deadscoob, yes you can combine your feeds from your indicators, but make sure you use diodes between each indicator wire and MXS input, otherwise you will get back feed causing both indicators to flash at the same time.

deadscoob

Thanks dean -I'm  not a wiring genius, more bumpy-what type of diodes do i need.

cheers 

Deanspoors
9 minutes ago, deadscoob said:

Thanks dean -I'm  not a wiring genius, more bumpy-what type of diodes do i need.

cheers 

these should do, you only need 2, but a pack of 10 is 99p inc postage.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1N4001-50v-1A-General-Purpose-Diodes-IN4001-1N4000-DO41-UK-Free-Postage-/131439765755?var=&hash=item1e9a6ba8fb:m:mlwkec47pg8RuHe__eP5yIQ

wired like this...

imageproxy.jpg.474559ff5bb2609043d3ecfb7d791dd3.jpg

deadscoob

:yes: thank you :)

Deanspoors

.. if you're not on eBay PM me your address and I'll get some delivered to you. :)

deadscoob

All good, ordered cheers :)

deadscoob

Question now for Chris...

Are there any decent free xml editors that are able to change the screen layout to a degree?

would prefer a display similar to what you've done than the standard pages (shame there's not an editor for this)

cheers again :)

deadscoob

After playing around with this a bit I am disappointed that you're forced to use analogue inputs for the warning lights, and with only 4, it leaves it hard to get everything you may need in one place without having to spend on the switch input module. They should just charge £900 for the display and include that imo, I've had no choice but to fork out for it.

Price adds up quick when you need that, a remote button interface, data bridge, gps module etc. Doesn't take it far away from the full fat mxs which has gps as standard, 8 analogue inputs etc. 

Chris King - Webmaster

OK, back in the world of full computer access and can finally reply to your questions @deadscoob

For XML I use a text editor that I code with called sublime - it's just superb for coding.

The XML files are hidden deep in the Race Studio software.

What I did was to go into C:\AIM_SPORT\RaceStudio3\aim\resources\overlay\mxs strada\masks\set\standard\s01 and in there you have the set of files for each of the available overlays.

I then copied one of the folders that contained the layout I wanted to modify and named it p11 - inside there you have the files used in race studio to apply your own configs. So you can edit these and thus have your own config file to select in race studio.

Screen Shot 2017-09-02 at 15.45.36.png

I edited the two xml files in there - renaming the original p<xx>M.xml to p11M.xml (as p10M.xml was the last one in the folder so far). The AIM_folder xml file was edited thus:

Screen Shot 2017-09-02 at 15.50.08.png

You can create your own preview and background files - but note the backgrounds are 8-bit BMP files with a limited colour palette so may take a bit of trial and error to get the colours correct and you only really know AFTER the config files are sent to the device (guess how I know).

As for the config xml file - in my example the one I renamed p11M.xml - you need to change a couple of items to match that name choice - so below you see where I edited the names to "11"

<e c="GMaskParam" i="MXG_racer_11">
    <p n="NAME">MXG_pilota_11</p>

Screen Shot 2017-09-02 at 15.58.19.png

So then it's a matter of trying to figure out what line relates to what selection in the Race Studio config - and I just did that mostly by deduction and trial & error!

CHAR_SET_ID relates to the font, generally big numbers are bigger fonts. The fonts appear to be just graphics and the code displays them in a masked off window, so the height and width tends to be the viewport size and the XPOS and YPOS are the co-ordinates on the screen of the viewport (well, that's my guess anyway!)

So - once you've changed a few things in here, save it, then load up Race Studio 3 and you should see an extra config (or more if you added more) available:

Screen Shot 2017-09-02 at 16.09.42.png

Over the winter I will have a proper in depth look at all this and might write a program to allow the config files to be edited via a GUI - but for now, I just don't have time as the one's I have work OK for what I need this season.

Anyway - hope this helps.