Steve (sdh2903)

Aim mxs info thread

Steve (sdh2903)

I got a hall effect one from RS for around 30 quid. I can dig out a part no if you need one.

Hmm haven't played with the trip yet.

Chris King - Webmaster
2 hours ago, sdh2903 said:

I got a hall effect one from RS for around 30 quid. I can dig out a part no if you need one.

Yes - was looking at those - "Cherry" rings a bell. Good to know they work.

Chris King - Webmaster

Hmmm - ref trip meter, found this info while Googling:

Optional extras from AIM include their remote mounted buttons interface .<..SNIP...> gives 6 inputs which replace the 4 existing buttons plus add a manual backlight dimming option and a trip meter reset.

So looks like resetting the trip meter(s) outside of Race Studio is an "optional extra" - not impressed...

Steve (sdh2903)

Had a look today chris and you can reset the 4 additional trip meters just using the buttons on the dash it's self.

Menu button first then scroll to counters 

20170330_143537.thumb.jpg.d7229a504034d53d6a139eb16c5e5396.jpg

Enter. 

Then select which trip you want to reset and press enter then clear.

20170330_143547.thumb.jpg.4af0aeadeb455d664d2f0f6b6942f90c.jpg

20170330_143559.thumb.jpg.9b3ad0f37d94242157b3a29df5f67960.jpg

Et voila!

20170330_143621.thumb.jpg.066325bb9044eeaf6c0e44b0302a61f5.jpg

Not one to do on the move. But least can be reset without forking out 100 quid for the button set.

CraigHew

That does seem to make sense.  You can't offer a trip meter then not be able to reset it each trip....!

On the Dash2 we can configure specific buttons. Are the AIM buttons not configurable?

Steve (sdh2903)

No the 4 buttons on the side of the dash do it all. The remote button kit is 6 buttons replicating the 4 on the dash plus a backlight on/off and trip reset.

CraigHew

Yes I get that. the 4 buttons for the Dash2 "do it all" too BUT you can also configure a button to a specific action "outside" the menu system. In my case a trip reset, one-button solution rather than going through the menu structure.

Steve (sdh2903)

No they are fixed function as far as I can see.

Chris King - Webmaster

Good spot Steve. Bit of a faff but at least it is possible. 

Chris King - Webmaster

Got a config that I like sorted. Need to check that the mph displays all digits but much better I reckon. 

IMG_1235.JPG

• Like 1

Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AO

Looking good @Chris King - Webmaster and Joint North East AO

I'd suggest extending the lower rev range to show less than tickover! I made this mistake and when my ECU died in Jan, I couldn't see any rpm on cranking which would have at least confirmed the Crank position sensor to be healthy.

• Like 1

Steve (sdh2903)

Ian. The digital number is there for the revs aswell as the analogue gauge. Gives cranking revs as I used it when priming the engine before firing.

• Like 1

Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AO
4 minutes ago, sdh2903 said:

Ian. The digital number is there for the revs aswell as the analogue gauge. Gives cranking revs as I used it when priming the engine before firing.

Excellent. I've not had the pleasure of seeing this 'new fangled' technology up close yet :d

Steve (sdh2903)

I must say I've had a bit of frustration getting it in and working (as Chris Has!) As there is no where near the knowledge base as say the dash2. But on the move it's super clear in all lights and is a very nice bit of kit. I've been talking to Aim this week about maybe unlocking a bit more display to customisation so we'll see what they say.

• Like 1

Chris King - Webmaster

Yes, as Steve says, it shows from zero revs up. So no problem there.

It's been a "learning curve" for sure - and would be nice to have some more default screen styles/layouts from Aim that are more road-oriented - or even the option to swap "laps" for another input, as right now it's either show laps or show zip.

I'm gradually figuring out how the XML files work, so will be able to share my config files soon!

• Like 1