Steve (sdh2903)

Aim mxs info thread

Chris King - Webmaster

Of course, diodes. Now where did I put that pack of 10 I bought 18 months ago?

Chris King - Webmaster
4 minutes ago, sdh2903 said:

No. I just earthed the main earth wire. Then used the analogue gnds for any sensors that needed it.

It's the analogue gnds I'm curious about. There's 4x analogues but no indication as to which gnds go with which?

edit: so why not just ground the sensor - or is there a reason to use the dash gnd?

Steve (sdh2903)

Doesn't matter. They all link together anyway then earth through the earth wire in the other plug.

Chris King - Webmaster

I've got to get the car running this weekend as mapper booked next Thursday, but after that will get back on the case with the custom config files.

Chris King - Webmaster
4 minutes ago, sdh2903 said:

Doesn't matter. They all link together anyway then earth through the earth wire in the other plug.

Yeah, that's what I thought, just wondered why so many earths were available when you have a whole chassis to tap into :)

Steve (sdh2903)

When talking to Luke, or it might have been mark at the factory, he did advise to use the analogue earths at the dash rather than earth locally for any analogue sensors.

Deanspoors
15 minutes ago, Chris King - Webmaster and Joint North East AO said:

Yeah, that's what I thought, just wondered why so many earths were available when you have a whole chassis to tap into :)

This has been mentioned before with the RT dash, if you use a chassis ground on a sensor, the values change slightly when engine is running/headlights turned on, etc. using an earth directly from the dash minimizes the amount of error.

Chris King - Webmaster

Ok thanks for the info will do as suggested :t-up:

Chris King - Webmaster

Right then

I'm in Race Studio - so where's the info/instructions on how to add in the fuel level sender?

Do I add a custom sender - if so, what next? No idea what I'm doing here (and I'm a programmer!)

AHA! - found a video tutorial on AIM site - on the case!

EDIT2: not really very useful

Steve (sdh2903)

If you don't get sorted I can talk you through it. Have a lot of experience with the fuel sender:rolleyes:

Chris King - Webmaster
2 minutes ago, sdh2903 said:

If you don't get sorted I can talk you through it. Have a lot of experience with the fuel sender:rolleyes:

Ooooh yes please mate!

Chris King - Webmaster

On the "info line" the dash always says "no GPS" (or similar) - well, yes, I know I have no GPS, any way to change this in Race Studio?

I can't un-tick the GPS options in 'channels', so not sure what else to try - unless I'm missing something obvious?

If not I'll just hack the config files I guess.

Chris King - Webmaster

Oh - found this useful calculator for the fuel sender settings.

If you put 5V input and 2700 Ohm R1 for your voltage and pull-up settings, then use the quoted 10 & 180 Ohm values for empty and full for the VDO sender, you get 18mV and 313mV - which is close to your values @sdh2903 

Of course this assumes your sender is set up to actually output those values - best to measure. 

Steve (sdh2903)
1 hour ago, Chris King - Webmaster and Joint North East AO said:

On the "info line" the dash always says "no GPS" (or similar) - well, yes, I know I have no GPS, any way to change this in Race Studio?

I can't un-tick the GPS options in 'channels', so not sure what else to try - unless I'm missing something obvious?

If not I'll just hack the config files I guess.

I've emailed aim twice now about this with no reply as yet. I don't see why you can't just turn it off.

Chris King - Webmaster

Thought I'd try the fuel sender setup without ripping apart the tunnel top (again) and feeding a direct earth in to the dash. 

Using the standard harness feed and earth resulted in a reading that was around 25 litres higher with the engine running. 

So then I tried earthing direct to the chassis. 

Result!

Shows the same reading regardless of engine running or not. 

Now I just need to calibrate it properly but pleased that I didn't have to rewire anything more as I've just about had my fill of wiring!

But, my speedometer sender isn't working. Not that I expected it to mind as it's a £5 Halfords cycle computer magnetic one :d

Time to find a Hall effect job, but for now I'll use my Garmin as a trip and speedo. 

Speaking of trip, how do you reset the one on the dash (without resorting to Race Studio)?