jonjh1964

jonjh1964's XI Build

Simon Marks - North Oxfordshire AO

Top Job, Jon!

• Like 1

Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary
19 hours ago, jonjh1964 said:

I've bought a 50x50mm square rubber foot stopper to cover the solenoid and then made cut outs for the various cables - will hold it on with a ty-wrap, hopefully it should do the trick, my starter and alternator both have covers on the main supply feed I had to make one at the IVA station for the SEIW when it went through the IVA.  I'm currently fighting the bolts on the seat all of which have been ground down over whilst on the SEIW so need replacing.

IMG_0188.thumb.jpg.42918f24d32929b13da06da91f7f3355.jpgIMG_0187.thumb.jpg.a8c959aa4f4397dd0dec29481e1a3812.jpg

Lovely neat solution, no arguing with that, either!

• Like 1

jonjh1964

Today I finished off the fitting of the passenger seat - it took the whole day as I had to grind off all the bolts and the drive down to Upway for Malcolm to weld on 4 x new bolt, re-fettle the chassis and then eventually bolt it in after fitting the seatbelts.  This act was effectively the finish of the build as all parts have now been fitted (although some have also been removed).  The rest of the activity running up to the IVA in 14 Mar is setting up the engine, suspension and final snagging.

Now officially wine o'clock although only one glass as tomorrow is a work day!

• Like 2

Well done, John,

Your seat bolts adventure is a typical hiccup along the way that we all come across despite best laid plans.  I used to fall foul of over-engineering and spending hours when minutes should have done.  I'll know for next time - whenever / whatever that may be................. or possibly not!

Simon

• Like 1

Adge Cutler- Dorset AO

Well done, good to have it finished with some time to spare for final tinkering!

• Like 1

jonjh1964

The car left the garage under it's own propulsion for the 1st time today and went up and down the drive - 1st impression is that with the limiters fitted the turning circle is more like an ocean going liner than a car! The orange piping on the seats is a good look with the crimson......

IMG_0193.thumb.jpg.8d4b400aba7644966c1791501081a5df.jpg

The ride height is now set, the Megajolt ECU is now connected and working using a generic 1380cc/sports cam map, I'm going to measure the vacuum and potentially re-calibrate the map if necessary.

IMG_0194.thumb.jpg.b360ab8deab0520ed1d9e95dec73b7ef.jpg

I'm now in IVA preparation mode and will be tidying up the engine bay wiring.

IMG_0195.thumb.jpg.071280166d4ec51af0359e2b06b24d34.jpg

I need to add a grommet to the bulkhead for the vacuum and clip up the overflows, I'n also thinking that an extra Dzus fastener to close the gap between the scuttle and bulkhead is needed. I've also fitted the ITG air filter and MED stack after setting up the mixture.

IMG_0197.thumb.jpg.c9683b18ff56a49fddbe1f3df300e849.jpg

The dash wiring under the scuttle is now finished and the speedo was giving a reasonable indication on the 100m or so of the drive.

IMG_0200.thumb.jpg.b4249fd156a8413403f212d52e0eff00.jpg

Does the edge of the bodywork need to be covered all the way around to the chassis hinge? I know the chassis hinge end stops need to be covered.

The body work is now fitted and I've fettled the dash side panels and fitted them with a single M5 button head, to be replaced with a knurled bolt post IVA.

Unfortunately the reverse light isn't working after the  runs up and down the drive so I'll need to investigate but the most likely cause is the connections to the switch so the seats and interior will potentially be coming out before the IVA.

The exhaust manifold is also hitting the chassis so I'm looking at adding a 6mm shims (I have some 6mm aluminium and there isn't much space under the bonnet) under the engine mounts.

The 'To Do' list now has 20 items on it, please let me know if you see anything that I need to address.

• Like 1

Thrustyjust

Nice to see it out in the daylight :t-up: Are you going to run the timing cover breather to a tank or back to the carb ?

jonjh1964

TJ I’m currently thinking filter to the timing cover vent for IVA then a vent for the rocker cover and timing cover to a catch tank that’s connected to the carb vacuum rather than vented to atmosphere; the rocker cover cap has a vent in it.

Thrustyjust

One little thing i can see is the throttle cable. The cable goes into the carb unsupported . Go to your local bike shop and get some of these 

eBay item number:

It will keep it better in the carb and maybe the other end. Also get some cable end crimps to stop the cables from fraying 

eBay item number:

Seller assumes all responsibility for this listing.

Thats what you will need and they will sell you a couple of each. Use one on the choke too. If they ask, get the ones foe a brake cable , not gear, they are different sized.

Other than that the cable looks close to the steering column ? May need clipping , unless it is somewhere I cant see.

Hi, Jon,

My exhaust also struck the edge of the opening through the inner wing panel.  A combination of making raised engine mount brackets, filing the hole and thumping the pipe at the appropriate point was needed to sort it out!

I ran the rubber edging round to the point at which the underside of the rear clam steps up.  I did not cover the hinge end stops and wasn't picked up for that, but my over-engineered and elaborate rear bumper / fog / reversing light / reflector support probably meant that the test "jobbie" couldn't get anywhere near them!

5a90de009f678_Bumper2.thumb.jpg.7408ffd8eec47000bbb05f6fd3641332.jpg

It might be worth relocating the flasher relay as close as possible to the end of the dash.  In the unlikely event of it failing, you may be able to just reach in and change it (from the quadrant panel) rather than have to remove the scuttle to do the job?  I put mine into the quadrant area for this reason.

Tidy wiring is for life and not just for IVA!  It will yield dividends with respect to reliability.

I did my initial shakedown and running in of my car with a pair of SUs.  The throttle cable run was very similar to yours.  I did not worry about securing it as it was a short term measure.

IMG_5710.thumb.JPG.c86fc81bc9c4cd3b3ec6da7dde0a1589.JPG

My (Weber) throttle cable runs right round the front of the engine bay and was easy to clip / support.  I would say that your SU one running across the rocker cover may need a little thought to avoid kinking and chafing of the inner cable where it goes into the ferrule on the carburettor.  It may well be doing this on its own as the bonnet closes anyway!  Using a long cable ferrule would, of course, exaggerate this issue.

My scuttle sits down fine against the bulkhead - but I have set the pedal box top cover to crimp the scuttle back.

Have you got a specific earth for the fuel tank (not clear in the photographs)?  I was asked about this at the test and, because I showed my tester the below photograph, I was saved the chore of removing the scuttle to show him.

5a90dcad5121b_20.FuelTankEarthWire301214.thumb.JPG.79df00a34087553ecc3174188653d394.JPG

Your car does look good so you're well on the way.

Simon

stephenh

Isn't the fuel tank earthed anyway, through the earth lead from the fuel gauge sender? Or is a separate earth required?

Thrustyjust
30 minutes ago, stephenh said:

Isn't the fuel tank earthed anyway, through the earth lead from the fuel gauge sender? Or is a separate earth required?

It may not be enough. Shame the factory dont weld a lug similar to the other cars on the tank to look a bit more thought out.

jonjh1964
21 minutes ago, Thrustyjust said:

It may not be enough. Shame the factory dont weld a lug similar to the other cars on the tank to look a bit more thought out.

I’d assumed that the sender earth would fulfil the IVA requirement. If not then a lug would have been useful.

jonjh1964

Having read the IVA manual the Earth path is to stop static build up so the sender earth should be enough - I’ll confirm with Mark Walker on Monday.

Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary

Sender Earth is NOT enough. You MUST have a sepperate earth, and yes, they do frequently check! My inspector even wanted me to disassemble the RAC roll bar and remove the boot box so that he could see it. Fortunately I’d taken plenty of photographs of that area which satisfied him.

Actually, I thought later tanks had started coming with an Earth stud on them, though it might just be FW tanks.