jonjh1964

jonjh1964's XI Build

Thrustyjust

Looking lovely. Wont be long to get it all running and happy :t-up:

• Like 1

Simon Marks - North Oxfordshire AO

Hi, Jon,

The poor fit of the nearside lower corner of the rear clamshell is a feature of the mould.  I complained about it when I picked up my kit - and it got me nowhere.  I will hopefully be taking my car along to a composites man sometime soon and this has reminded me to ask Andy to have a look at it for me.

Looking further up the last page at your positioning of the fuse box and relay, I have fixed the quadrant covers to the chassis upright at the end of the dashboard using a single thumb turn screw  such as: www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-Pcs-M6x12mm-Zinc-Plated-Metric-Flat-Knurled-Head-Thumb-Machine-Screws-Bolts/301998723077?epid=1275279816&hash=item465086d005:g:XyEAAOSwq4VaTZLX  This was after taking advice from another owner and, of course makes the panels easily removable without tools).  The panels have never moved (they have been on the car for 1,500 miles) and they screw in to a rivnut fixing in the vertical chassis tube.  The carpet helps to keep the bottom of the panels in place against the alloy upstand on the sill top.  I don't know if you have tried your panels yet but I did have to fettle mine to fit between the dashboard and the scuttle. 

Simon

Adge Cutler- Dorset AO

Looking good Jon, hope you can get it to make some noise on Friday.

jonjh1964

Today was more of the same, carpets fitted to the passenger side and hole drilled for the seat, more trimming of the rear clam to allow the passenger seat to be fitted.  I got a message for the carb supplier advising that they had shipped a replacement and it would be with me tomorrow, then Robin called and offered to come over today.

At 2pm I heard the sound of Robin in his Seven negotiating the ramp on to the drive and went out to meet him, his car was looking much better than the last time I saw it as he's recently had all the GRP resprayed.  First task was to fit Robin's HIF44 to the manifold and then on to the car, at the first attempt the engine attempted to start so much more promising that with my carb.  We then played with the timing and chased our tails with adding advance not seeming to make any difference.  Once again we confirmed that the timing marks were accurate and the we could get sparks on all the plugs etc - a bit like Monday night with Malcolm and Dale but with the engine making an effort to start.  Eventually we leaned of the carb and tried again and the engine started.........................

After a bit of playing with the carb it was running reasonably well given that it was in the EDIS4 10 deg fixed advance, Robin suggested increasing the idle speed to 2,000 RPM to run in the Cam and we then had a major cooling leak out of the expansion tank overflow so switch everything off.  Having dumped £20 worth of Evans waterless coolant on the garage floor we removed the highest cooling pipe and refilled the system hoping to avoid any airlocks - we then went around various joints and opened the to ensure there was no trapped air.  Confident that we'd done as much as we could to expel any airlocks we restarted the engine and finished the cam run in without anymore coolant escaping.  At the end of the run we lowered the idle and played with the mixture screw to improve the running.  At switch off the engine ran on so still some more to do once I've got the Megajolt connected.

5 secs of video at this link 

Many thanks to Malcolm and Dale for the help sorting out the timing and Robin for the loan of his HIF44 and help fitting it today, very relieved to have overcome this hurled

• Like 5

Thrustyjust

Well done. Sounds great. Did you eat all the cakes warming on the bulkhead :d

Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary

Result!

jonjh1964
5 minutes ago, Thrustyjust said:

Well done. Sounds great. Did you eat all the cakes warming on the bulkhead :d

Not after they got sprayed with Evans "no pressure" coolant :(

jonjh1964
9 hours ago, Sunbeam Lotus said:

Hi, Jon,

The poor fit of the nearside lower corner of the rear clamshell is a feature of the mould.  I complained about it when I picked up my kit - and it got me nowhere.  I will hopefully be taking my car along to a composites man sometime soon and this has reminded me to ask Andy to have a look at it for me.

Looking further up the last page at your positioning of the fuse box and relay, I have fixed the quadrant covers to the chassis upright at the end of the dashboard using a single thumb turn screw  such as: www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-Pcs-M6x12mm-Zinc-Plated-Metric-Flat-Knurled-Head-Thumb-Machine-Screws-Bolts/301998723077?epid=1275279816&hash=item465086d005:g:XyEAAOSwq4VaTZLX  This was after taking advice from another owner and, of course makes the panels easily removable without tools).  The panels have never moved (they have been on the car for 1,500 miles) and they screw in to a rivnut fixing in the vertical chassis tube.  The carpet helps to keep the bottom of the panels in place against the alloy upstand on the sill top.  I don't know if you have tried your panels yet but I did have to fettle mine to fit between the dashboard and the scuttle. 

Simon

Simon,

Was anything said about the clam shell on the IVA - seems like it would need a cover or radius etc

I have the thumb screws on order - I can only find the driver's side panel at the moment, now I can get the car out of the garage I'll have more room to search.  I have a sheet of aluminium on order and have vinyl left over from making the door linings as a back up to get me through the IVA.

Next task is to get the Megajolt controlling the advance and the I can permanently fit the scuttle and fit the panels.

Jon

Nick - Joint North East AO
3 minutes ago, jonjh1964 said:

Simon,

Was anything said about the clam shell on the IVA - seems like it would need a cover or radius etc

I have the thumb screws on order - I can only find the driver's side panel at the moment, now I can get the car out of the garage I'll have more room to search.  I have a sheet of aluminium on order and have vinyl left over from making the door linings as a back up to get me through the IVA.

Next task is to get the Megajolt controlling the advance and the I can permanently fit the scuttle and fit the panels.

Jon

Jon,

Just take plenty of rubber trim to put around any edge that they take exception to, do the obvious ones and then you just never know. There were some I thought they might be worried about and nothing was said and others they wanted covered. So just be ready to do what they want seems to be the best option. I had the edges coming up to the where the clam overlapped the aluminium covered but not where it covered the aluminium and it was OK even though as you have found it's actually not hard up to the ali.

Hope that helps.

Nick

• Like 1

Adge Cutler- Dorset AO

Excellent news, glad it's running, great support from the Dorset crew as ever.

• Like 1

Thrustyjust

Just looking at the picture again, I would get the terminals on the starter solenoid rubber booted , to protect it.

• Like 1

stephenh
52 minutes ago, Thrustyjust said:

Just looking at the picture again, I would get the terminals on the starter solenoid rubber booted , to protect it.

Good spot. Definitely needed, on the one you have the charger crocodile clip attached to as that is live all the time. The other one which is connected to the starter is of course only live when the solenoid is energised, so wouldn't likely to be a fail, but the first one I mention would likely be.

• Like 1

Simon Marks - North Oxfordshire AO

Hi, Jon,

The lower leading edge of the clam did not cause any raised eyebrows at IVA - but I did have some rubber with me as Nick has suggested.  Below is an image of how my clam was when  collected the kit from Kingswinford.

5a869f44e5955_NSFBodyJoint.thumb.jpg.d908a86137e25b34273dee0d3b8e0b13.jpg

I made up a cover box for my solenoid  - I had "booted" the terminals but, due to the number of cables, they did not sit down neatly.  I used one of my favourite materials (UPVC fascia offcuts - glued and pinned together) and made an open box that was an interference fit around the body of the solenoid.  Once it was slotted over the cables and painted black, it covers everything neatly.  My IVA inspector described it as a "nice solution".

IMG_1337.thumb.JPG.971be4968e72a7225855d2ce0ad41690.JPG

IMG_1338.thumb.JPG.12a3079c48fba06658717b9fee2864ef.JPG

IMG_1335.thumb.JPG.f8420d9445618977e09fbd28d86ef1a2.JPG

It is easy to whip off to use the permanent live feed as my charger point.

Regarding the switched live to the starter, I had a fail on not having a boot over the starter motor end of the cable so both ends need covering.  It was an easy £1.00 fix, though!

Simon

• Like 1

jonjh1964

I've bought a 50x50mm square rubber foot stopper to cover the solenoid and then made cut outs for the various cables - will hold it on with a ty-wrap, hopefully it should do the trick, my starter and alternator both have covers on the main supply feed I had to make one at the IVA station for the SEIW when it went through the IVA.  I'm currently fighting the bolts on the seat all of which have been ground down over whilst on the SEIW so need replacing.

IMG_0188.thumb.jpg.42918f24d32929b13da06da91f7f3355.jpgIMG_0187.thumb.jpg.a8c959aa4f4397dd0dec29481e1a3812.jpg

• Like 3

Thrustyjust

Yup, thats the solenoid 'definately' sorted :d

• Like 1