jonjh1964

jonjh1964's XI Build

jonjh1964

I spent the morning trying to work out why I couldn't get a spark, eventually traced to the crank sensor wiring. Once I'd got a good spark the battery had had enough so I put in on charge and checked the 36:1 crank wheel was set to TDC.

With the start now delayed I continued with the 'to do' list:

• wired up the reverse light switch,
  • removed the speedo cable from the Type 9
  • wired the charging warning light
  • filled and bled the clutch
  • cut a 32mm access hole, filled gear and blanked off the access hole with a rubber grommet
  • drilled the bulkhead and fitted a cable adjuster for the accelerator cable.
  • removed the accelerator pedal, cleaned the powder coat from the trunnion hole and refitted everything (unfortunately the accelerator cable is too short)
  • started to get rid of rubbish and tidy up.

Not the day I'd planned but reasonable progress - I need to get on and get the IVA sorted as the Government are consulting on changing the regulations which will potential remove the pre-1975 engines only having to pass a 'no visible smoke' emissions test.

• Like 1

Adge Cutler- Dorset AO

Useful to knock off some of the "to do" list jobs, even if that wasn't your plan.

• Like 2

jonjh1964

Just got off the phone to DVSA, IVA booked at Exeter for 14 Mar which gives me 5 weeks to finish off the car. Better get the engine started within the next week!

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

stephenh

Good luck, Jon.:t-up:

• Like 1

Thrustyjust

Blimey, no pressure then !! Better cancel everything in the house for the next few weeks !

• Haha 1

BugMan

Good progress, hope she springs into life once you battery has some charge

• Like 1

jonjh1964

Two days of trying to get the engine started - progress made with a start this morning but quickly packed up and now seems to flood every time I try a start - if there are any experts on HIF44 carbs - ideas welcome.

The minor break through was last night when we moved the timing wheel 9 teeth the wrong way and the engine then tried to start. This morning I swapped the coil pack A & B channel connectors over prior to the first start.

With the IVA deadline now set I’ve kept on with build. The driver’s interior and seat is now fitted and I greased up the prop shaft, finished off the work in the tunnel including routing the speedo sensor wiring.

171F075B-8096-4290-A36B-0F95EF7BB328.thumb.jpeg.438dee1c6e48eb2257711ad16c669183.jpeg

Having realised there was no obvious pick ups for speedo on the front hub I frabricated a bracket to mount the sensor on the rear differential to pick up the prop shaft bolts. The back end is now finished with the handbrake adjusted and everything greased.

93D5DF87-C90A-4CDF-A4B0-2C10EFE9504C.thumb.jpeg.c807f1d227299ba724d3a871a43afeaa.jpeg

I’ve also finished all of the wiring under the scuttle, adding a reset switch under the dash - I thought that the switch on the front of the gauge was also the reset but once I had it power up I discovered that it only toggles better odometer and trip - and a high beam warming light.

8766A2BF-061B-4EF1-9036-B8CC5F5BB29B.thumb.jpeg.5a0eb5f4274423cf37764b23891d9379.jpeg

495365C9-7850-47A7-AEAF-798235568B57.thumb.jpeg.015b40bd91876e98e984593f9ef900d9.jpeg

(The white stuff is G9 polishing compound as the scuttle finish wasn’t the best) Between engine start attempts I prepared the passenger side tunnel carpet using press studs to fit the carpet tile.

A1D9C1FC-7338-47BF-97B1-28B6B626C079.thumb.jpeg.616ba61912ff156410c4e7555380c82b.jpeg

The final job of today was marking up and cutting out the scuttle for the various bits that go through the bulkhead. The header tank mounts need to be slotted as it was sitting 5mm too high once the scuttle and bonnet were fitted.

FCD9CB8C-F749-40E1-82DB-EF55463A5994.thumb.jpeg.31154fc62d4efc51d30f8230fbad21b2.jpeg

Overall frustration with the engine start has dampened the progress with the rest of the car.

3ACF3D2E-8E7E-4F99-87C7-D39D4D67700C.jpeg

Close up of fuse boxes and EDIS/Megajolt power relay

• Like 1

Thrustyjust

HIF 44's are similar to other Su's, just have the float chamber underneath than by the side. They are pretty foolproof , so I would look more at ignition settings than the carb. I guess you are trying to start without the choke ? If you lift the dashpot in the carb, check there is a needle in there.Otherwise check the carb isnt flooding into the inlet from the float chamber not shutting off properly. Also check you have put oil in the top of the dashpot and there is a spring pushing the piston down again when you lift the piston with your finger.

Su.jpg.91fa7abf146d466bdcb3e693160695b9.jpg

jonjh1964

So far I’ve:

checked the float and set it to 1mm below the chamber seat (upside down)

adjusted the mixture so that it aligns with the bridge (having started 1.5 turns below)

confirmed that the piston drops freely in 5-7 seconds

BDL needle with a 1380cc engine with an MED RS cam, A+ inlet valve and lightly ported head

ignition is a megajolt - currently trying to start in EDIS4 ‘limp home’ which is 10 degree advanced fixed, checked with a strobe

Thrustyjust

If its still rich then perhaps put a different needle in there as a start. If it is running rich, then either it is too thin at the idle part of the needle , or the jet is worn. HIF's dont have a solid mounted needle, as have a top hat and mini spring as earlier carbs used to stick the needle against the jet , unless you spent ages wiggling to line up. Issue with that, is they would wear the jets faster  . Can you wind it a bit leaner just to try and get a start ?

jonjh1964

Thrusty I’ll try a needle swap next

Thrustyjust

Maybe worth speaking to one of the mini tuners for needle advice as there is a few !!

stephenh

Are you sure the float isn't sticking? Sometimes it can be such a simple thing which prevents an engine from starting.

Phil J

Have you checked the pressure of the fuel delivery, I see you have a pressure regulator and is your carb. float level set for the angle that it is mounted at?

jonjh1964

Fuel pressure is set at 3.5 psi, float set at 1mm below the bottom of the chamber - my carb is almost vertical rather that the normal Metro angle, I'll have a look at that tomorrow with my old carb that I used to ensure that the carb and manifold cleared the bonnet.  The carb has been dispatched back to the supplier who's going check it over and look at possible causes for over fuelling.

I'd offered the Midget gearbox to a local Lotus 7 owner - his has an A series with a midget gearbox and is planning to get the gearbox overhauled and then do a straight swap - he drives the 7 throughout the year and is planning to do this year's Le Mans Classic with the Historic Lotus Club.  It also turns out that he has a spare HIF44 carb so is going to bring it over on Friday to give it a try, having owned the 7 for ~50 years he's reasonable well versed in A series  engines and SU Carbs so hopefully will be able to pitch in with a few ideas.

With no progress on the engine start I've decided to focus on finishing off the rest of the car by the end of the week.  This morning was spent fettling the rear body, Myles and I fitted it last night for the first time with all the inner arches and IVA trim and found we couldn't do up the DZEUS fasteners.  To achieve a good fit I had to remove material from both n/s and o/s inner arches, around the drivers side of the cockpit to clear the Sports Turbo seat and then lots of adjustments and trimming to the n/s lower clam where  it meets the alloy pontoon.  I've left this joint clamped up with a G-clamp and applied some heat with a heat gun to try and get the fibre glass to 'learn' a better match the pontoon.

IMG_0184.thumb.jpg.c2e84e5b9b63a1f2ec2a51b379214c99.jpg

I then moved on to test all the electrics - success - everything works and I even did a trial run setting up the speedo based on a rough calculation (13+(2x.8x6)x 3.14) = 71" per revolution, 63390/71 = 892 revolutions/mile, 892x4 (studs on prop) x 3.9 (diff ratio) = 13,915 pulses/mile - I set to 13,500 to ensure that it over reads and I will confirm everything once I'm able to get the car out of the garage under it's own steam.

I fitted the rear view mirrors to the scuttle, using one of screen mounts and then drilling a new hole on each side that will be covered by the screen when it's fitted.

IMG_0185.thumb.jpg.62a3f4bcaa1fa09765dd33164c02b8b1.jpg

The final task of the day was to fit the steering rack stops, having previously done a check of the clearances there was minimal of any contact but there's no point taking a chance for the  IVA especially as the steering rack is so easily accessible.  I used jubilee clips and silicone hoses 15mm on n/s and 42mm on the o/s - tested once fitted and the tyres don't get anywhere close to the bodywork so plenty of room for optimisation post IVA to get as good a turning circle as possible.

The "To Do" list is now down to passengers cockpit (carpets/seat/harness), suspension setup and final torque up - and get the carb refitted and the engine running....

IMG_0183.thumb.jpg.5af4246678e7825d553dc7ae86167d47.jpg

Nearly there.......

• Like 4