jonjh1964

jonjh1964's XI Build

robhume

I believe this is what you are looking for, no ice cream though. Easy to photograph as it was still on the shelf and that's where it will stay or in the bin.

DSC_0286.JPG

• Like 1

stephenh

Nope, I didn't have one of those, and I'm not sure that I want one either!

Nick - Joint North East AO

Think I've got a few if any one wants one, got something odd looking like that. Wondered what it was ;)

Simon Marks - North Oxfordshire AO

Hi, Tony,

Here's the item in question - fitted into the end of the silenced link pipe I fitted for IVA.  I'd tapped the end of the link pipe over to secure it in position.  You can imagine that this positions it within the "nose" of the silencer.   Now I'm on the road, I have a chrome silenced link pipe and no cone - and recorded 101dB(A) at 4,500rpm at 0.5m at a static noise test at a trackday last Autumn.

Simon

5a66f1524bd33_SmallIMG_0250.thumb.jpg.2b5e44acb408811585a7883544cc40a1.jpg

5a66f0882b35b_SmallIMG_0254.thumb.jpg.5371a49a628a69e8082f9da5c11b9180.jpg

stephenh

I can live with 101 decibels. For noisey trackdays that is fine. Problems arise if it goes much more than that. Mind you, it did get me a warning letter about being clocked by our local "community speed watch" bods. The b*****s got me just about 200 yards from my house. They could hear me coming up the hill towards the village, so got me as I was slowing down just inside the 30 limit.:angry:

pearman00
8 hours ago, Sunbeam Lotus said:

Hi, Tony,

Here's the item in question - fitted into the end of the silenced link pipe I fitted for IVA.  I'd tapped the end of the link pipe over to secure it in position.  You can imagine that this positions it within the "nose" of the silencer.   Now I'm on the road, I have a chrome silenced link pipe and no cone - and recorded 101dB(A) at 4,500rpm at 0.5m at a static noise test at a trackday last Autumn.

Simon

5a66f1524bd33_SmallIMG_0250.thumb.jpg.2b5e44acb408811585a7883544cc40a1.jpg

5a66f0882b35b_SmallIMG_0254.thumb.jpg.5371a49a628a69e8082f9da5c11b9180.jpg

HI Simon thanks for adding the photo's looks yours is totally different middle part if not maybe a completely here's a photo, Looks like yours is different as well Rob.

11 exhaust.jpg

pearman00
16 hours ago, Nick - Joint North East AO said:

Think I've got a few if any one wants one, got something odd looking like that. Wondered what it was ;)

I maybe up for one If mine is too noisy for the IVA, will send you a PM if I do need one Nick :yes:

Nick - Joint North East AO
1 hour ago, pearman00 said:

I maybe up for one If mine is too noisy for the IVA, will send you a PM if I do need one Nick :yes:

No problem, mine was fine without. But there is you need one.

• Like 1

Simon Marks - North Oxfordshire AO

Hi, Tony,

I thought I was going to have an issue with noise so I designed the cranked pipe with the Cherry Bomb to replace the straight link pipe.  This allows it, and the large silencer, to sit level in the pontoon cut out.  The car is now finished with a stainless steel version.

Simon

jonclancy

Having dented mine on a speed bump at Combe (doh!), I drilled out my rivets and had the silencer body repaired at an excellent workshop near Bristol.

I repacked my exhaust with the cone and two eBay wadding packs.  It’s less visceral than Splat’s silencer, but still flows enough for 90 bhp  on the rollers. Never had a problem with passing scrutineering for track days etc.

jonjh1964

Today was spent construction a bracket for the rear number plate, reverse and fog lights

5a6cd6307872c_rearlightsbracket(2).thumb.jpg.343f0ce269b15f547f98e6a0d9822d3d.jpg

The rubber edge protectors need to be bonded in place (and the garage needs a tidy!)

I finished off and filled the cooling system and fitted the oil gauge sender pipe and filled the engine with running in oil.

Finally I wired up the alternator and starter motor and fitted the battery earth cable to the chassis.

• Like 1

jonjh1964

I managed to get another couple of hours in the garage and made some more progress.

I fabricated and fitted a bracket for the handbrake switch.

6A59EE4F-6FD1-4A33-A39B-6560E005CE76.thumb.jpeg.b18c444dbe36db6c1a45b7a3f685d988.jpeg

And fitted the choke cable.

53330BB4-1B03-430E-9DD1-4C6B7FAF243A.thumb.jpeg.a0932bb5a11288f5812c979d8eda6acc.jpeg

I also connected up the battery and tested out a few of the systems - hazards, lights, horn, handbrake warning, fuel pump and starter all working - I need an LED compatible relay for the indicators.

I also thing I need to raise the cooling expansion tank as it’s now marginally lower than the heater bypass. Simon thanks for the info on the hose adapter from Merlin Motorsports, an excellent piece of kit.

• Like 2

jonjh1964

Today I finished off the wiring and tested all the obvious bits lights, horns etc and after abit of trial and error on the headlight switch  everything appears to work.

Following Malcolm and Robin’s advice from discussions at Thursday nights club meeting I disconnected the banjo joint in the oil filter line and poured in some oil to prime the oil pump and cranked over the engine with the spark plugs removed. The aim was to ensure that the oil pressure was good, unfortunately there was nothing on the gauge - panic time! I removed the gauge pipe work and cranked over the engine - oil pumped out of the block - breath...... after cleaning out the sender pipe, reassembling and reconnecting it oil pumped out of the gauge end when I cranked over the engine so I reconnected the gauge and I got a good pressure indication on the gauge at crank over.

At this point I drew stumps and went inside to watch the opening matches of the 6 Nations.

1st engine start tomorrow?

Adge Cutler- Dorset AO

Sounds like some buttock clenching moments Jon. Glad you've sorted it.

Looking forward to seeing the first start on here tomorrow.

• Like 1

stephenh

Good luck tomorrow!

• Like 1