jonjh1964

jonjh1964's XI Build

Simon Marks - North Oxfordshire AO

Hi, Matthew,

Thanks for the reply.  It sounds like I might be carefully using a grinder.  Presumably very hard stainless steel fixings!  When I get round to it, I'll report on techniques and progress.

Simon

MK11

Hi Simon,

Drilling the rivets out was not the issue.  There seemed to be something else happening, I could not get either end to move away from the main body it was as though there was some anti tamper device to stop you repacking the silencer.

Matthew

Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary

it might be that it's been assembled with exhaust paste that's set rock hard, or it could be that the inner pipe isn't coming apart.

jonjh1964

Not really progress but I diverted my efforts to getting the car to a standard that would allow it to be trailered to Shepton Mallet.  Largely the cosmetics, carpets, seat belts, seats, pedal cover and all suspension bolts torqued.

970798F9-3346-4C78-A7A0-D730796CF87A.thumb.jpeg.5db75c163f0e51f5bb059177e02f7b4b.jpeg

First thing Saturday morning and it was raining so I taped a black bag tonneau over the cockpit.

A1947846-6A5B-4F3D-AC62-96965D4D3593.thumb.jpeg.224649e1fc30f751186d96a944f4a579.jpeg

Lined up with Adge’s 250 representing the current extremes of Westfield types. The other cars were Chris’ SEIW Zetec 2.0 Blacktop with twin Weber’s, Colin’s SEIW Zetec with Ford fuel injection, my SEIW FW Zetec with Jenvey TBs and Andy’s MX5 SDV which has new Protech’s fitted by Malcolm & Dale during the Show.

79C4F8F9-7160-42BC-87EA-7A374D45024C.thumb.jpeg.32d389a86b1c7cfdb98aaa34cb30c072.jpeg

The icing on the cake - luckily they didn’t look under the bonnet!

Now to finish the ECU wiring and get the engine started.....

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

stephenh

Congratulations, Jon!

• Like 1

Adge Cutler- Dorset AO

Well deserved, your Xl looked stunning

• Like 1

jonjh1964

Not much progress - mainly wiring which has been quite slow going due to SWMBO diverting me to decorating the house and work, so some photos of the bits and pieces I've been working on.

5a1856c33822a_Dashwiring.thumb.jpg.ed8725840734176b4057eba4d022c3d4.jpg

All the instruments are now wired and I hope to have the ECU and engine finished this weekend

5a1856e5d5a1d_Carpetandseats.thumb.jpg.5a8b5411efd72f063d0853d893ed1e2f.jpg

Seats and seatbelts - driver's seat is on runners and passengers bolted straight to the floor5a1856eb952a3_Seatbeltguides.thumb.jpg.1ab6435b3036d369a1edbd93a43cd3ff.jpg

I substituted these after-market aluminium guides normally for an MG TF for the plastic ones provided in the kit.

5a1856f1a58ee_Gearstickandhandbrake.thumb.jpg.f731bfc91f21adb214c84f25adeb2b6d.jpg

The chrome gear gaiter trim is from an MGB.

5a1856f71b835_Fuelcapandtether.thumb.jpg.c16ed96091302d8ea9ecb786f7e78c90.jpg

Tethered fuel filler - I'd like to replace with an more authentic  Aston or Monza type filler post IVA.

• Like 1

Hi, Jon,

That does look good and well worthy of the rosette.

Norton do alternative fuel caps and plinths which will directly replace the Westfield supplied one, leaving you with a locking cap hidden beneath an Aston style cap.

Simon

• Like 1

jonjh1964

After the hiatus of the Shepton Mallet Show progress has been slow.

After removing seats, carpets, seatbelts etc I eventually got back to where I was with the build. Progress this weekend was:

82A16E50-E3CC-4812-A636-A827126C561F.thumb.jpeg.15da7c120e1da3133474f151ef967cac.jpeg

Battery.

865C51BF-CF22-417F-8F06-E4D9C2816D35.thumb.jpeg.638601c77082f76ae4c761f3f9104b40.jpeg

FBD85F49-2657-4816-96B1-90E0416DFB14.thumb.jpeg.a33e86e7e8f00ba0b01e2a572b4ba137.jpeg

Bonnet wiring and headlight pods

D0E5A063-7FEF-4727-886F-3DAA4AC1E765.thumb.jpeg.2ca42e21c575897746ce15456110ea3a.jpeg

Speedo Sensor - still needs the magnets bonding to the disc.

C90A221D-91CD-43FA-A7FD-2DA4C3538C93.thumb.jpeg.f0c70c3fc8b5e897c6eb89727b9e6a05.jpeg

Rear inner wheel arches and bodywork fettled to allow them to open/close.

And finally the clutch hydraulic and the sensor side of the ECU (no photos)

During the week I got confirmation from Peter Auto than the car had been accepted for one of the Friday lap sessions so the pressure is now on, I even submitted the IVA application hoping to get a slot before Easter.

• Like 4

Hi, Jon,

Will your speedo sensor just work by picking up on the wheel bolts at the back of the disc rather than needing to bond on magnets?  Mine is done this way, and with a much smaller support plate off the hub, it is able to fit between the hub and the step in the disc and pick up the bolts as they pass 1mm in front of the sensor.  It's well shrouded in that location and does not pick up any road dirt.

I see that your sensor (like mine) has a little LED to tell you when it is picking up a signal.  Whilst this is useful when setting it up, Sod's Law dictates that, whenever I park the car for any length of time, the wheel will be orientated such that the LED is illuminated and eventually drain the battery.  My sensor is permanently fed (it operates a tripmeter on my car) hence the problem.  If yours is ignition switch controlled you will be OK.  I either connect the car to a battery conditioner or check the sensor and rotate the wheel slightly to turn off the LED.

Simon

jonjh1964

Simon,

I believe you have a disc and calliper upgrade on your car, the original Midget disc doesn’t have any boltheads on the inner edge hence the need for magnets.

Thanks for the info on the sensor LED, mine will be powered by the gauge which I believe isn’t permanently powered - but I’ll check.

I made the bracket slightly larger to butt up against the upright for support- probably overkill.

cheers

Jon

stephenh

Hi Jon, all looks to be really nice.

On the subject of the exhaust, what is this cone which you and Simon refer to? I didn't have a cone with my exhaust system, so far as I know, unless it is built into the silencer box? Noise levels does seem to be an issue with these cars, particularly if your engine is running on quite high compression ratio. Mine is about as high as I would want to prudently go on a road car without having variable ignition timing controlled by an ecu. For trackdays, I'll certainly need to restrict myself to "noisey" days/circuits. And I still haven't had my engine above about 4,500 rpm yet.

jonjh1964

Simon,

The ‘cone’ was about 3” long with a base made of perforated metal sheet and holes around the cone itself. It was a separate item and I fitted mine at the input to the silencer box, base towards the engine.

I’m using the same Megajolt ECU as Simon with a slightly different crank timing plate and sensor plus taking my vacuum advance from the standard HIF44 port rather than the manifold.

I’m hoping to start mine in the next week or so but need to finish off the heater tap cooling, starter motor wiring and connect up the carb first.

Jon

I fitted mine in the same place as you, Jon, and in the same orientation, hence my suspicion that it has burned the goodness out of the front of my silencer (by diverting hot gases straight into the silencing medium, rather than flowing straight past it).  

You've done well, Stephen, to pass without this restrictor fitted.  Being so close to the outlet in an open car certainly distorts the perception of the sound level.  My Sunbeam Lotus has had its moments with worn out exhaust systems and while the noise meter says otherwise, you would have said that the Westfield was the noisier of the two cars.

Simon

pearman00

What is this cone you all talk of is it some kind of witchcraft ;-) it doesn't look like I have one in my kit, has anyone got a photo of one ? 

Or maybe they now are  supplying a slightly different exhaust just a thought.

Tony