jonjh1964

jonjh1964's XI Build

Today was the visit to Slark Race Engineering to tune the engine and confirm the tracking.

As with the IVA the weather was truly awful so a good test of the tonneau which turned out to provide reasonable protection.

Neil confirmed the static timing and set about establishing some baseline runs and playing with the advance map.

image.thumb.png.6aeccd9a8699ddedde76e8fe07a5d3e0.png

When he was happy with the timing he then started playing with the mixture and determined that it needed more fuel mid-throttle but was slightly rich on full-throttle.

image.thumb.png.b254972050d8d43abffddf3ebcf0285e.png

He removed the needle and trimmed the mid-range section and after a couple of goes was happy.  After a bit more adjustment the engine was putting out 84bhp with 80-90 lbs/ft of torque between 2.5k and 5.5k.  The more observant will notice that I've fitted the 1" extension to the rear shock absorbers, cut a hole in the ali panel to allow the diff to drop further and halved the lower trailing arm bolt heads to allow them to pass the chassis, the first thing I noticed was that there was minimal pre-load on the springs - the car seemed much better for it but it's early days and I still need to play with the shock absorber settings.

image.thumb.png.72c683540752890ea1bac7276d314bc2.png

Next we setup the ride height, camber and toe-in all of which only needed a small amount of adjustment and finally we put the car on the scales to find out the overall weight.

image.thumb.png.172abfaa2c451da3e816ddb7f904311a.png

Including 3/4 tank of fuel.

The weather on the drive home was no better than the journey there, however, the engine was running very well and the car was noticeably more torquey and smooth.

• Like 3

Glad you're pleased with the end result :yes:

Better let us all know the next time you're planning on taking the XI out, it'll give us chance to get our waterproofs out ???

• Like 1

Hi Jon,  

The car looks really good and bet you are pleased with the end result.

When you weighed it, was that with all the bodywork on it.

Will you be taking it to the 21st event at Shelsley?

3 hours ago, robhume said:

Hi Jon,  

The car looks really good and bet you are pleased with the end result.

When you weighed it, was that with all the bodywork on it.

Will you be taking it to the 21st event at Shelsley?

Rob,

Given that I haven't had any real work done on the head 19bhp on top of a standard 1275 Midget which weighed 740 kgs (30% more power and 70% of the weight = 85% more fun - I can only imaging how much fun yours must be!)  isn't too bad and it was good fun on the way home even with the rain.  The 515kgs was with the bodywork on, it was 478kgs without the clamshells and we zero'd it and got this for the clamshells.  I think there's not much difference between a Zetec (110 kgs) and A Series (240 lbs) weight wise so yours is probably pretty similar.

01651e99a94d1ac54e748be8ef92cdd3ab99e3e06d.thumb.jpg.02346781d2623be9fbb5a48839a0d128.jpg

If the weather's good for Shelsey I'll be in the Eleven, Tricia has decided that she's coming for the weekend so won't want to risk getting wet so if the forecast is bad we'll be in the SEIW.

Jon

• Like 1

Hi Jon,

Thanks for the detail about weight etc and it's nice to see the car with the red leather steering wheel.

My car is still having a few bits done as we have had some issues with cooling but with the fast road cams in,

it made 185 bhp on the dyno run, so happy with that. 

Rob

• Like 2

After my cooling and oil temp/pressure concerns on the way home from Stoneleigh I took advice from other Eleven owners and fitted ducting and an oil cooler.

773E29EB-CCD8-4962-AD16-76891879719B.thumb.jpeg.454b43222b452bbf1811e1f962c99581.jpeg

Fan is still a pusher mounted to the Westfield bracket as I couldn’t see how I could fit a puller fan in the limited space behind the radiator. I’ll give this configuration a go and if I need to look at the puller fan at a later date.

976DD2B0-51D2-4DD2-8388-DC0F5AFE1DBD.thumb.jpeg.e03160880145b5ad2e82f734a292606e.jpeg

A8C3A349-D138-4E1F-967B-E1FCDEF0C0DB.thumb.jpeg.904496e0318bdc56e85c8e4345991b86.jpeg

oil cooler is a Mocal kit for an MG Midget so the hoses aren’t a perfect fit but should be good enough to prove whether there’s a benefit in having one fitted.

• Like 1

From my experience on ducting the nose, it has made cooling a reliable thing now and all rads on open noses should be ducted as the air will take the easy route by avoiding the rad completely.