jonjh1964

jonjh1964's XI Build

Car now as ready as it’s going to be for Wednesday.  The fog light was straight forward I found one of the instrument lights was wired to the cartek input as well as the main beam.

In an attempt to reduce the mirror vibration I’ve made a couple of ali braces and fitted them inside the mirror mounts. While I had the scuttle off I fitted penny washers under the mirror mount nuts.

F517EC26-3DEF-422E-9F1E-C6A57CFCC26F.thumb.jpeg.3440d3a3027e1001c4c6cba8363f9368.jpeg406CB80E-D1EB-41E5-B0E3-B566C414A74B.thumb.jpeg.1c2657611f9b8c38843e0bf005db9dd2.jpeg

The final job was to cover the rear clam mount with rubber U section. Now all I have to do is tidy up and pack the spares and tools.

7713A338-57AA-43F1-8C89-BADBD0B135A1.thumb.jpeg.d0e0ef2c13a759f6da43976ac42c61ec.jpeg

• Like 1

Good idea the ali bracing in the mirror mounts, sure it will be fine. I've found a bag of nut covers, I'll bring them Wednesday.

• Like 1

Good luck on Wednesday, hope it all goes well.

• Like 1

Passed......

Had some issues with the outside harnesses going through the bulkhead, speedo sensor, accelerator cable disconnected from pedal, exhaust noise and handbrake reserve but eventually worked through them all with Adge and the help of the examiner.

Journey back home through the rain was interesting (and cold, would have been much worse without an IAC)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Sunbeam Lotus said:

Hi, Jon,

Congratulations and Well Done.  Now time to turn the ugly duckling into the beautiful swan - but have a night off first, eh?

Simon

Simon,

Champagne in hand, it will take a few weeks for the DVLA to sort out the registration so plenty of time for some parts to fall off and others to add themselves - it will need to dry out first!

Jon

• Like 1

Hi, Jon,

Having got caught in a thunderstorm shortly after I took to the road in 2016, I can understand the feeling.  I deliberately left out the carpets below the seats so that area can quickly dry but a couple of days in the garage (which has a three layer plastic sheet roof and, being south facing, soaks up plenty of heat from any sunshine and is nicely ventilated to keep condensation at bay) and all was fine.  Even my face had stopped stinging by then!   #106bhp bathtub!

Simon

• Like 1

Brilliant, well done. Now you can get it registered and taxed just in time for the spring weather, which I am sure will be with us in the next 2 or 3 weeks! Enjoy!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sunbeam Lotus said:

Hi, Jon,

Having got caught in a thunderstorm shortly after I took to the road in 2016, I can understand the feeling.  I deliberately left out the carpets below the seats so that area can quickly dry but a couple of days in the garage (which has a three layer plastic sheet roof and, being south facing, soaks up plenty of heat from any sunshine and is nicely ventilated to keep condensation at bay) and all was fine.  Even my face had stopped stinging by then!   #106bhp bathtub!

Simon

Simon,

I have a small dehumidifier that I bought for the SEIW and has proven to be very effective in the past and I’d recommend - not sure what it costs to run in electricity but I have teenage/adult children so nothing compared with them!

Jon

Rain started as we arrived, Adge adjusting the WSCC umbrella.

31EAF191-B081-4D9A-8702-854F5EF2BF6D.thumb.jpeg.125025782dabdbbf05b62fa47741c818.jpeg

Congratulations, not surprised you passed, very thorough build, excellent result. top job. Crack open the bottle and celebrate :sun:

Mind it would be good to get some sun out to actually feel like celebrating :oops:

• Like 1