jonjh1964

jonjh1964's XI Build

I managed to find a Midget as a donor, not in the best shape (it's a complete mess really) but it's one of the last 1275 engines, built in late 1974, and looking at other XI builders blogs and posts most of the parts are refurbished or upgraded as part of the build.

Midget Nearside.jpg

Chris from the Dorset Area, provided the transport and his outstanding trailer reversing skills meant that the car was rolled straight into the garage.

IMG_1027.JPG

The first couple of sessions in the garage has resulted in the engine, gearbox, steering column, steering rack, engine, gearbox and SR mounts and hand brake lever.  Before going any further I'm going to make a couple of boxes on rollers to stand the chassis on once I've removed the front uprights and rear axle.

Strip engine gearbox steering rack.JPG

I was slightly concerned that the steering rack mounts are different to the alloy ones in the build manual. Mark Walker believes that they have the same spacing and has offered to match them a chassis if I supply the mounts and rack with the column and rear axle when they go for modification.

I've also got a growing collection of parts in boxes to refurbish or replace all the brakes, bearings and seals before fitting to the car.

New parts.JPG

Remaining items to remove are: instruments, front uprights, prop shaft and rear axle off the car. I can get the body off to the scrapyard and make some space in the garage.  Unfortunately I'm going to be away with work over the next couple of weeks so opportunities to get to the garage will be limited. 

• Like 3

Ooh I remember this bit. 

To be honest, this is the bit that takes the longest since 40 year old grease seems to transmute into something harder than tool steel.  That and the fact that you keep having to stop and buy yet another socket in another odd imperial size!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MK11 said:

Ooh I remember this bit. 

To be honest, this is the bit that takes the longest since 40 year old grease seems to transmute into something harder than tool steel.  That and the fact that you keep having to stop and buy yet another socket in another odd imperial size!

Mk11, funnily enough an Imperial tap & die set arrived yesterday ready to clean the threads on the steering rack.

if I get time, I'm hoping to remove the front suspension and prop shaft this weekend. The manual says the prop shaft is modified by Westfield but it isn't on the list that Mark gave me, is this a change to the later kit?

If you are using the MG axle and the MG gearbox, then you shouldn't need any modification to the propshaft.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, stephenh said:

If you are using the MG axle and the MG gearbox, then you shouldn't need any modification to the propshaft.

Thanks Stephen, I'll just order order replacement UJs and give it a lick of paint then.

The arrival of a new garage toy - 12 ton hydraulic press meant that I've been distracted from dismantling to focus on refurbishment.  I stopped at Moss (Bristol) on Friday night and picked up the final parts I needed to assemble the front wheel hubs including a set of taper bearings as an upgrade to the standard bearings.

IMG_1098.thumb.JPG.9f4bea5385e2e7c9fc590338b3e22556.JPG

After a couple of hours I ended up with a pair of front hubs with steering arms and callipers loosely fitted

IMG_1097.thumb.JPG.561e27948a58bd8c520a2c486db0aee8.JPG

I also managed to refurbish the fuel and tacho gauges with new bezels/glass/seals - the speedo will need recalibrating following my decision to go for a Type 9 gearbox.

IMG_1095.thumb.JPG.e84764643144a056684a0c37d0aedf92.JPG

The engine is going to Hurley Engines in Bath early next month for a full rebuild and I have a new fast road camshaft kit on order from MED Engineering for them to fit, I'm going to fit a  SU HIF44 carb so also ordered MED's stack and filter set to save on P&P.

Next weekend will be rear axle removal.....

The strip continues, all major parts now off the car and prepared for refurbishment or modification by Westfield. Bought a 1,7/8" spanner for the hub nuts, just needed to work out my left and right hand threads...

I dropped the engine off at Hurley Engines Services in Bath - whilst their main business is lawn mowers/chainsaws etc their engine shop has a very good reputation for A Series Engines.

The diff banjo case has a pin hole in it after wire brushing to remove the majority of the rush so will need a repair either before or during modification.

IMG_1122.JPG

IMG_1119.JPG

IMG_1117.JPG

IMG_1113.JPG

• Like 1

All the Midget parts that require modification are now ready to be dropped off at Westfield next weekend.

This weekend was replacing the diff on the SEIW with an Bara modified viscous LSD, new Protech rear shocks and while I was at it replacing all the rear fuel hoses/filter and the n/s rear wing that got damaged in France. Not much space with two cars in the garage so needed good weather to allow me to expand onto the drive. Today will be mostly blatting

IMG_1134.JPG

• Like 2

I dropped of the axle and steering column to Westfield the weekend before Stoneleigh and they have now provisional confirmed that the kit will be ready to pick up at the end of May so time to finish off the donor removals and get rid of what can't be re-used.

The refurbishment has been fairly consistent - wire brush, treat residual rust, paint with satin black - the rear brake back were both in poor condition but are no longer available to purchase as new so got the full treatment and then were rebuilt with all new components.

IMG_0022.thumb.JPG.4ef4c87bbac3ef02387252b10145ebb8.JPG

Before and after treatment

IMG_1129.thumb.JPG.4640937b0d606c736066fde5f551775d.JPG

After the rebuild

IMG_1130.thumb.JPG.dba8d8f3eed5c42f1159431d94d8c898.JPG

And from the other side

The next item was the handbrake tree that bolts to the rear axle

591757b970c7d_Handbrakemechanismpaint.thumb.JPG.cbe56aece45e5fbf62821b7a2835b1cc.JPG

591757b50d0a8_HandbrakeMechanismAssembly.thumb.JPG.c04a055fb675f44208154c1d3f5a9370.JPG

Same treatment and rebuild with new felt washers, grease nipple and clevis pins.

Finally the rear hubs

591759aea4467_IMG_12051979.thumb.JPG.d4541adb2b53fbf305579ea11e4233a0.JPG

Bearings and seals pushed out591759b51aa28_IMG_12071981.thumb.JPG.632d4dfcd64a62bfa9422d92ce991e56.JPG

Wire brush, clean the bearing and seal faces and then paint the exterior.  I gave the faces a coat of copperslip for storage as I won't fit the new bearings, seals and gaskets until I have the axle back from Westfield.

I now have all the donor items strip and ready to start the build - I just need to finalise the shopping list for spares and pick up the kit and engine.

• Like 3

Pick up date for the kit is Thursday - got a photo from Simon this morning

59233a682131c_KitatWestfield.thumb.JPG.cd2b0a8c25addb3a30c6903521843625.JPG

• Like 3

Bit of a trip for you but I'm sure it will be worth it, looks super.

• Like 1

Home and shattered after a long day.  Myles and I got the van last night and packed ropes, blankets, ratchet straps and Sat Nav ready for the off first thing.  Up at 5 am and on the road by 5:30 am arriving at Westfield by 08:15.  After a cup of tea we went through to the workshop and went through all the parts of the kit.  Having only got around 50% of my first kit on pick up day and spending the next couple of months sorting through random boxes, on the phone to parts and waiting for deliveries the contrast with today was remarkable.  I was presented with a Bill of Material with every single part ticked off, furthermore, the location of each part was also clearly listed - boxes 1 to 4, fitted to the chassis or loose.

5926f0fd197f6_XIKitatWestfield.thumb.JPG.5808bef015169dd677f8aba588bc5da2.JPG

After Ian had taken me through the key parts, we'd given the polished bodywork a good look over and I was given a few tips on opening up and closing the clams, the whole kit was loaded into the van and strapped down.  Mark Walker came over at one point and confirmed that the axle did have some rust pin holes in it so after fitting the brackets he'd had it shot blasted, welded up the holes and then had it powder coated, again outstanding service; lastly the Parts Department also had the XI side mirror brackets in stock and I bought a set before heading off.

5926f1181dd24_MyleswithkitinVan.thumb.JPG.6bfdc61790ec6edeb11be180dc410e65.JPG

After a quick McDonald's breakfast we headed back to Yeovil arriving just after 1 pm; the kit was unloaded and the Midget body shell then loaded and taken to the local scrap yard (£18.20 for around 400Kgs of mild steel) before dropping off the van and getting home just after 3:30 pm.  After a short negotiation with Tricia the body clamshell were stored in the dining room - along with two lots of University digs kit - so I've probably got until the end of September before my current permit runs out.

5926f1255bb17_Chassisonstands.thumb.JPG.32f89644faf9c01039339e84bfc896f6.JPG

I decided that I'd leave the kit alone tonight as I'd back at work first thing tomorrow morning and I'll have the whole Bank Holiday to get started - now to the Hot Tub to easy my old muscles & bones.

• Like 3

Sounds like a great start to the "Westfield" part of your adventure. As an ex Sprite (many moons ago!) and latterly Midget owner, I'm fascinated to see your progress. Great recycling of one classic car, to create a replica of another. Keep up the good work.

• Like 1