7Fan7

Hey guys, was wondering if anyone happened to know a bit more about (I think) Axon Automotive and Westfield's prototype on replacing the standard passenger tub (originally made using steel or aluminum bars) to carbon fibre. I tried to look through their website, I thought the kit car was supposed to be in production by the end of last year but I don't see much information about it. On the other hand, I did manage to find a picture, below, of (what I think is) the prototype. Any thoughts on the use of carbon fibre for the tub? I assume it will provide substantial weight saving, and possibly extra stiffness on the tub but I'm not sure about the connections between the front and rear steel frames with the tub. What do you think?WP_20160316_11_03_35_Pro.jpg

Think I would be curious to see how they hang the rear suspension around the diff as this is the bit that breaks on Westfield's. Not sure on the space Frame to tub connection, but seems as substantial as any single seater. 

More stiffness and less weight? Let's see. I think I'll let other pioneer this route, I do think have the "appetite" (read money, time, inclination) for it any more!

• Like 1

I saw the prototype at the Advanced Manufacturing Show

Main weight saving is the w**kel engine with only 12kgs saving coming from the Carbon Fibre Tub

The front and back frames are as per the normal steel chassis and are bolted to strengthed areas of the tub which looked quite straight forward.

The big downside is the likely cost of an after market tub in relation to the the weight saving!

Hope this helps

Graham

• Like 1

Cheers for the reply guys!

I heard from the guys at the show that the carbon fibre tub could save at least 40kg; which I think is substantial but then that is for the chassis only. Eventually, I guess the 40kg saving is a much smaller proportion of the fully assembled car. Although, nonetheless, it would have a pretty noticeable impact on acceleration (I guess we're looking at 0-60mph in less than 3sec with Westfield's using the Honda v-tec 2.0l engine). @graham frankland I guess you're right, cost will indeed be over the roof; but Axon tex is supposedly able to manufacture these using cost-effective operations. Do you foresee any other drawbacks of using the carbon fibre tub in the future, costs aside?

Edited by 7Fan7

The higher weight saving number relates to the overall construction of the car with the rotary engine

The 12 kgs came from the carbon centre section manufacturer at the show

Depending where you start from it is possible to get 12 kgs out of a traditional car without the level of expense for the carbon fibre centre section!

The intial purpose of this project was to demonstrate weight savings to improve the the overall efficiency of the vehicle and to obtain funding to undertake the project!

I think we have to watch this space to see how commercially viable it turns out to be!

Regards

Graham (aka Glutey)

• Like 1