Captain Colonial

Spend the (ex) chairman's money (formerly "This year, I will mostly be...")

Captain Colonial

...considering selling my lovely classic narrow CVH powered Westfield SEi. :down: :cry: ....

...and buying a different one. :cool:

I've had The Wench for 16 years now and loved her to bits, but the time has come for something a bit newer and with a newer engine, an injected Zetec or Duratec (sorry, no BEC, MX-5 engine or V8).

As much as I love my girl, and also the thought of sticking a new engine into her and giving her a change of heart, the cold hard logic is that it's better to buy a correctly spec'd car that matches my needs now, and find a new home for my girl, someone who needs a very good, sorted entry level Westfield that they can just get in and drive.

Frankly, it's breaking my heart to type this, but I know it makes sense.  I'm patient enough to sell her and wait for the right replacement that doesn't require me pouring money into, just get in and thrash it.

One element that might affect my timing is the fact that my old girl will have passed her IVA 25 years ago on 1st December, which could make it more attractive to buyers on the Continent.

Above all, I want my baby to go to a proper, loving home and carry on bringing happiness to her new owner.

Luckily, I'm a patient sort of chap and not in a desperate hurry, but that's what I'm considering this year.  Call me an idiot or call me sensible, but there we are.  Feel free to snipe and abuse below.  Feel even freer to contact me if you want more info before I put up a For Sale ad at some point.

2014-06-16 17.28.34.jpg

Dommo

What's wrong with the MX5 engine? :d

• Like 1

Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary
7 minutes ago, Dommo said:

Seems to cause owners to stick hair driers all over it and develop an inexplicable attraction to carbon fiber ;) :p

:getmecoat:

• Like 8

Captain Colonial
46 minutes ago, Dommo said:

It's not what I want.

38 minutes ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - WSCC AO Rep said:

Seems to cause owners to stick hair driers all over it and develop an inexplicable attraction to carbon fiber ;) :p

:getmecoat:

Calling @Gary (KugaWestie) - North Oxfordshire AO to the forums please... :laugh: PMSL :laugh:

• Like 1

Steve (sdh2903)

Are you changing the use or requirements of the car drastically or is it purely engine choice?

Surely a nice new crate zetec transplant would enable you to keep the (lovely looking) car you're so fond off?

If its more wholesale changes you desire then yes it probably would be sensible to find one ready done.  

Captain Colonial
40 minutes ago, sdh2903 said:

Are you changing the use or requirements of the car drastically or is it purely engine choice?

Surely a nice new crate zetec transplant would enable you to keep the (lovely looking) car you're so fond off?

If its more wholesale changes you desire then yes it probably would be sensible to find one ready done.  

Good questions. :t-up:

I'm not changing the use at all.  I have indeed looked at a nice new crate Zetec as a potential swap.  However, I have to be honest with myself here:

1) I simply don't have the facilities or time (and maybe not the skill set) to do an engine swap, and so I'd end up paying someone to do it for me - not cheap, in fact probably the price of selling my car and buying something with a Zetec already in it, and a fraction of the bother.

2) A wise man once said in here, and which has been oft repeated, whatever you budget for an engine swap, double it and add £500.  Financially, it makes no sense on a 25-year old car.  Emotionally, I'd love to do it, but I need to be logical about it.  I know I'd get a bit back for the old CVH lump and the twin 40s, but that still doesn't make it make sense.  The CVH is in fine fettle as it is - spending huge amounts of time and resources ripping it out seems silly compared to selling it to someone who will love her as she is.

3) I'd need to swap the gearbox as well from my four-speed to a five speed, so now we're getting into prop shaft, engine mount and transmission mount changes.

4) Not to mention fuel pump changes, fuel line changes and maybe a new fuel tank.

5) If I'm brutally honest with myself, all the steroids I'm on to stop me dying from asthma-related asphyxia have resulted in me piling on weight and making me feel awful about myself, but also made my narrow a bit snug - a wide would be more comfortable for me.

Hard truths one and all, but far better to face them sometimes than go down a golden path to disappointment.

Kit Car Electronics

Have you thought about fuel injecting it, Scott? We could show you how to do that on a shoestring...

• Like 1

Steve (sdh2903)

You're chairman. Appoint/force some underlings to change it for you.....

• Like 1

Captain Colonial
3 minutes ago, Kit Car Electronics said:

Have you thought about fuel injecting it, Scott? We could show you how to do that on a shoestring...

To be honest no, I haven't considered that route.  I would like to be able to go away from temperamental but lovely sounding DCOE40s if I could, but no idea what it would entail or the cost, plus I'd want someone to do it for me as I have almost no time and no experience with a swap like that.  I am happy to be educated, though. :)

Captain Colonial
2 minutes ago, sdh2903 said:

You're chairman. Appoint/force some underlings to change it for you.....

You've met my minions, right? :rolleyes::laugh::getmecoat:

Kit Car Electronics

Fuel injection conversion could be done for under 1K with careful buying and selling of parts. It  could also be done over the course of a Stoneleigh weekend in a suitable tented area... 

• Like 2

Captain Colonial
Just now, Kit Car Electronics said:

It could be done for under 1K with careful buying and selling of parts. It  could also be done over the course of a Stoneleigh weekend in a suitable tented area... 

Stop talking dirty to me...I'm getting a semi. :d

The cost is not the issue for sure, so let's not worry about that one.  Do you really think you could find an A-Team to pull off such a huge stunt as that over a weekend?  Bearing in mind new fuel pump, new fuel lines, maybe changes to the fuel tank, plus loads of other stuff... that's a monster job to ask people to sacrifice their free time for.

Steve (sdh2903)

Kind of like overhaulin' live at sema. But with a tent and some middle aged blokes drinking tea and/or beer.

You could charge admission to watch or point/laugh to pay for the conversion:yes:

• Like 1

Kit Car Electronics

I'm sure with the skills in this club we could get the tools and people together to do it over a wet Midlands weekend - we have the time to plan it, for sure - with plenty of photos of the affected areas, we'll know what needs to be prepared in advance. Plus all the sponsors and traders are within grabbing distance.

Of course, I haven't factored in the effect that beer might have on the results...

• Like 1

Kit Car Electronics

Plus there will be no shortage of people you've upset that will love the chance to butcher your car :p

• Like 2