Sign in to follow this  
stephenh

More XI Questions!

stephenh

I see your passenger seat is moulded to go around the handbrake mechanism, Simon. 

I'm still puzzling over the fact that in the build photos which Mark Walker sent me, it shows a picture of a car with what appears to be an extra piece of carpet over the opening for the handbrake, so it doesn't show the slit which Si Richards has on his car. I'm going to do a loose trial fit of all the panels which I have, to see what I can work out for my car.

stephenh

I think I've worked out the solution/answer to how to deal with the issues over the carpet set.

As to the method of fixing the vinyl gear lever gaiter to the carpet, I quite like Si Richards solution, and I see from my catalogue that I can get a chrome ring from Europa.

As for the handbrake lever and mechanism, I find that I have one small spare square of carpet, edged, which I suspect is to put behind the pedals on the vertical face of the pedal box area, although to use it for that would require quite a lot of trimming.  Instead, I could cut out a hole in the side of the tunnel carpet to go around the handbrake mechanism, like Simon Marks has done, but then cover that with the "spare" piece of carpet, maybe with the poppers to fix it which you don't like, Simon, or maybe to fix it in some other way. Once I've made a final decision I'll take some 'photos and post on my main build thread.

Simon Marks - North Oxfordshire AO

Hi, Stephen,

Just back in from a Classic Car Tour in the Cotswolds, today - I didn't take the Eleven but something with rather more ground clearance in deference to some rather poor condition back lanes!

The photo of the seat was of a fibreglass seat that I had housed around the handbrake mechanism for IVA (and, in fact, in the end borrowed Sports seats from Westfield so didn't use).  The photo of the cut out in the carpet shows how the final seat aligns.

The piece of carpet for the end of the passenger footwell is one of the ones that I resized and had re-edged before fitting.  As I had bought extra carpet and vinyl before trimming the car, I had stock from which to make my extra bits.  As carpet is a fairly stiff material, the fixings for the patch on the side of the tunnel will will need some careful thought to avoid this piece gaping between the fixings.

Stephen

stephenh

Yet another question. I can't see any captive nuts in the bottom of the seats, is that correct? If so, how do people fit the seat to the floor, or to the seat runners if using those? Do you just remove the seat "cushion" and drill through the base?

Hi, Stephen,

There is not the thickness of fibreglass in which to have set a captive nut on the little Westfield Eleven seats.

I fixed my seats directly to the floor without runners.  I removed the cushions, drilled 4No 8mm diameter holes through fibreglass shell and floor and in with an M8 button bolt with 2" washer either side of shell and floor and Nyloc nut beneath.  Careful selection of bolt length should leave you with two or three threads protruding from the Nylon.  My holes are well to the side of the seat and I do not notice the bolts under my nether parts.

Just looking at the (unused) set of runners that came with my kit - they should be able to be bolted on to the seat, as described above - but with a smaller washer - and the other part of the runner bolted through the floor.  Again, careful choice of bolt length will be needed, this time to avoid these bolts from clashing with the ones fixing the runner to the floor below.

I would suggest that you ask Mark Walker for the bolt centres of the Sports seats that you are going to use for IVA.  If you can replicate these centres with your holes through the floor (and working back, through your seats), you will only have four holes in each seat pan.

Simon

stephenh

Just as I thought, Simon, but good to have the confirmation.

By the way, did I show you the bonnet stay which I have designed and had made? If so, I probably mentioned that I was looking for a small clip to secure the stay to the chassis rail when in the stowed position. Couldn't find anything at the show, although 2 people suggested using the little plastic clips which rivet into the chassis rail for securing brake pipes, however the brake pipes used in my kit are for a smaller bore. So I googled for spring clips, and found what I wanted at RS Components, who I've used before for various bits and pieces and tools. Only problem is that I now have a packet of 25 (!) excellent steel spring clips, to hold a 1/4" rod or pipe, coated in black plastic, but onyl need 1 of them. So if anyone plans to use a similar bonnet stay, and if you make it out of 6mm. (or 1/4") rod, I can supply a suitable clip. Come to that, I can supply a length of 6mm.. stainless steel rod  as well for a fee related to its cost to me.

Hi, Stephen,

You did show me the stay - and rather impressive it looked too.  I'll see how you get on fitting and using it.  Some years ago, I made up tools for bending 6mm and 8mm bars (basically some tube welded to flat steel handles) for work.  These were just the ticket - clamp the bar in the vice and bend away!

Simon